Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Beer, Boorishness in Stands Spoil Games for Some Fans

Commander PK

Found this to be an interesting read, and it deserves some discussion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/20/AR2005112001497.html

Beer, Boorishness in Stands Spoil Games for Some Fans

By Joe Holley

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, November 21, 2005; Page A01

Up in one of the nosebleed sections at FedEx Field yesterday, a man watched the game wearing a sweat shirt reading: "[Expletive] the Refs." With him was a little boy, maybe 5.

A few rows in front of them, two guys in Washington Redskins jerseys greeted every referee call against the team by shooting their arms into the air, middle fingers extended.

Well, if fans of the opposing teams would stop going to other team's home games, and trying to make it their home, that would eliminate a lot of the problems right there.

A bunch of drunk Redskins fans, aren't going to fight a bunch of drunk Redskins fans.

but they will fight a bunch of drunk Iggles fans, or Poke fans who come into our field like they own the place. Maybe if some of these people who are griping about the "obnoxious" behavior in the stands, would stop selling their tickets to non-Skins fans, we would eliminate some of the fights and trash talking. Anytime you get a bunch of drunks together, and emotions are running high, you are going to have this. It's a sign of the times.

And leather-lung louts screamed obscenities against the Oakland Raiders until their voices were almost shot.

and this is a problem because? :laugh:

What's better to sit there like a statue?

Edit: I'm not condoning the cussing, but I'm all for fans getting into the game. To sit there in silence is boring, and it's not fun.

Ah, one does love the musings of the effete among the common man.

Beyond this there is a measure of truth to the piece. I have seen some hellacious fights at Fed-Ex as well been close to being in a few and alcohol is a contributor.

Me, I don't drink much - I'm high on life (shut up JimmiJo, you moron!)

and the wine-and-cheesers come out of the woodwork...c'mon---this is a professional sporting event (and one, might i add, with its roots in rowdiness, reckless abandon and a high degree of violence), not a kindergarten field trip to the local park...

i'm not excusing fisticuffs or puke-on-yourself drunkeness, but people complaining about yelling and cussing the opposing team?? GMAFB....

and if these folks want to be at the game without experiencing the actual FAN element, if they can't deal with the unwashed masses in G.A. because little Larry might hear some cuss words (words he probably already knows from TV or the music in his IPOD), then splurge for a luxury box seat completely sealed away from the fans and elements---because that's the reason why they were invented..for people like you...

the funny thing is FedEx is easily one of the TAMER sporting venues I've been to, and to see people complain is mind-boggling...I know for a fact that these folks have never seen: 1. a major soccer derby 2. a major college football game 3. yankee stadium (and i'm talking about the OLD element they used to bring in back when the team was terrible)

and the wine-and-cheesers come out of the woodwork...c'mon---this is a professional sporting event (and one, might i add, with its roots in rowdiness, reckless abandon and a high degree of violence), not a kindergarten field trip to the local park...

i'm not excusing fisticuffs or puke-on-yourself drunkeness, but people complaining about yelling and cussing the opposing team?? GMAFB....

and if these folks want to be at the game without experiencing the actual FAN element, if they can't deal with the unwashed masses in G.A. because little Larry might hear some cuss words (words he probably already knows from TV or the music in his IPOD), then splurge for a luxury box seat completely sealed away from the fans and elements---because that's the reason why they were invented..for people like you

WORD

:cheers:

"A couple of rows over was a huge contingent of Raiders fans. Stadium personnel around the league, particularly on the West Coast, go on high alert when the Raiders come calling. Proud of their reputation as the rowdiest fans in the NFL, a reputation challenged only by their counterparts in Philadelphia, they were loud, boisterous and decked out in their Goth-style black-and-silver masks, face paint and regalia."

Right, so we should just let these guys come in and take over our house? :doh:

My goal is to make them as MISERABLE as they possibly can be, so they know not to come back to Fed Ex Field, because they are NOT welcome here. There's nothing wrong with heckling people.

They don't call it home field for nothing.

I dunno, drunken fans get on my nerves like nothing else. I have nearly gotten in fights when they would cheer when opposing players got hurt and I would ask them to chill out, and then some crazy escalation would ensue. Having a bunch of people doing things they would not ever do as individuals is hardly what I am looking for. I want a win and people around me to witness the glory of the Redskins. I do not want a bunch of drunk and belligerent fans around me or anyone I care about. I guess I am a p*!!y then.

if u wanna take ur kids, take em to club level. I wanna drink when i go to a game, and yes i will be yelling and probably cussing. its a football game, its not a play or a concert or a baseball game

or an opera. :laugh:

That's what I said to one "disgruntled" fan behind me, when I was sitting down in level 1 one time. She gave me :pooh: for standing up and cheering. She said she couldn't see. I told her she she stand up also, and then she could see, or I would be happy to let her climb up on my shoulders. :laugh:

Oh I see. Since the "adults" dont know how to act, penalize the kids....you should be an NFL official

???? Don't get the NFL Official part.

You don't think children could get hurt when rowdy drunken adults get into fights with other drunken adults? I ain't compining about cussing or jawing between fans. It bothers me greatly that these drunkards WANT to get into fights, and don't have concern for children who may be present. I don't know how the hell kids have never been killed at an Eagles' home game.

if u wanna take ur kids, take em to club level. I wanna drink when i go to a game, and yes i will be yelling and probably cussing. its a football game, its not a play or a concert or a baseball game

Yelling and cussing is fine. Kids hear yelling and cussing at school and home. It's the fighting and brawling that has me concerned for children at NFL games.

I've heard some of these drunken louts actually toss beer at kids wearing an opposing teams jersey. Shouldn't that be assault on a minor?

Yelling and cussing is fine. Kids hear yelling and cussing at school and home. It's the fighting and brawling that has me concerned for children at NFL games.

I've heard some of these drunken louts actually toss beer at kids wearing an opposing teams jersey. Shouldn't that be assault on a minor?

Yes, and tossing beer on anybody is going to far. I'm not condoning ANY of that behavior, or fighting.

Just don't tell me to sit down, and be quiet. Good old-fashioned rowdiness, and fun is to be expected at NFL games. Honestly, who would want to go to a game, when the only time the fans made any noice was when the team scored. What fun is in that? Just don't do anything stupid, or go to far, and don't expect to not be "heckled" that is, teased, verbally abused, for being a fan of the opposing team. It's all in good fun, don't take it personally, and if you can't take the heat...get out of the KITCHEN!

Archived