Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Pass Rush Problem

E-Dog Night

What should our record be right now?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What should our record be right now?

• 9-0
    • 8-1
    • 7-2
    • 6-3
    • 5-4
    • 4-5
    • 3-6
    • 2-7
    • 1-8
    • 0-9

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold
Here's an idea. Get rid of Chris "i can't block anyone" Samuels for a D-lineman. I'm sick of hearing how great he is yet the pressure almost always comes from his side of the line and he's usually hurt.

I'll agree with you that Samuels isn't the top 5 bookend that he gets credited for, but did you see how Ray Brown looked when he replaced Samuels in the Giants game? Ray Brown isn't 22, heck he isn't 32, but he's supposed to be our top backup on the O Line. Samuels is a very good player, getting rid of him woul dbe a HUGE mistake.

I'm personally glad Smoot isn't here anymore. He was almost as over-rated as Champ. Anybody noticed how many times Champ has been burnt this year. I do agree, however, that we gave up too much for portis. He doesn't even fit into Gibb's style of offense. I think Betts is the better back. I wouldn't mind seeing them trade Portis for a DE next year. Fine with me. RB's can be replaced.

Im saying from a management standpoint it woulda worked out better Cap wise plus you have to admit Champ and Smoot as a tandem produced 10 ten pass defensive stats.

I'll agree with you that Samuels isn't the top 5 bookend that he gets credited for, but did you see how Ray Brown looked when he replaced Samuels in the Giants game? Ray Brown isn't 22, heck he isn't 32, but he's supposed to be our top backup on the O Line. Samuels is a very good player, getting rid of him woul dbe a HUGE mistake.

Samuels is one of the top LT's in the gm to me. Yeah Ray Brown try as he might was used and to get even worse do you remember when LT was a constant thorn. 2 names Joe Patten and Shar Pourdanesh. The worst. Week in and week out LT was suspect.

I've said this as well as some others. If the Skins would've kept Champ and their 2nd rd pick. Which lets say in theory the 2nd rd pick was used on a running back(maybe Tatum Bell). This would've been cheaper than Springs and Portis. Approximately 10 million dollars cheaper. Having that 10 mill allws them to offer Smoot a tad more to stay. Now you have to young corners that you drafted still here. This enables you to go into the draft and look at other needs, Namely a DE and maybe another DT. But this is all water under the rug.

I've always felt that way too. Portis is a heck of a back, but I've always felt that "good" running backs can be just as effective as "great" running backs in the right system. The Patriots won two Super Bowls before they got a "great" back - which they got for considerably cheaper than we got Portis.

I don't know. Are we a considerably worse team right now splitting time between Betts and Julius Jones or Betts and Tatum Bell than we are with Clinton Portis? Maybe our running game is a few degrees worse, but we might have better depth on the lines and in the secondary.

I'm also still of the opinion that we over-spent on Mark Brunell. How many teams right now have the money tied up in three QBs that we do? Again, if you do all that you said and then signed the cheaper Drew Bledsoe, how much worse off are you?

Maybe it will all work out. But it frustrates me that the Skins are 5-4 and fighting for their lives and we have two number one draft picks making a minimal contribution. I just don't think we are so good that we can have a draft filled with projects. Someone needs to contribute.

The problem isn't Gregg Williams and his schemes. If Williams had real talent to work with, the Skins D would be downright frightening. But the talent just isn't there, even when the players are fully healthy.

The #1 problem that the Redskins have is not being able to pressure the quarterback. Never getting a pass rush form the 4 down lineman is killing this team. The rush from the linebackers has not been much better. This is probably not news to you.

This issue is clearly not going to be solved this season. If it could have been solved, it would have been by now. For Gregg Williams, creative as he may be, the smoke has cleared and the mirrors are broken. His blitzes are not getting it done anymore. So that only leaves one thing: next season. :(

As I see it, the target issues are: #1 - both defensive end positions; #2 - middle linebacker; #3 - strong safety, and; #4 nickel corner. That's five positions that have directly contibuted to the Redskins being almost totally ineffective in pressuring the QB. Perhaps #4 could include the both 2nd & 3rd corner positions, but IMO Carlos Rodgers will be a top cover corner next season.

Looking at the draft, as you know, next year's #1 pick was traded away for Jason Campbell, so unless someone is desperate enough to give up a #1 pick for Patrick Ramsey (and no one is that desperate), there will not be a top guy available to draft.

So that leaves free agency. 2006 is supposedly the year of cap hell for the Redskins. I don't think that will happen in terms of having to jettison players to get under the cap. But I also think that signing a pricey pass rusher will be tough, because there will only be so much cap room to work with. And how many top-tier pass rushers are going to be available? Next to the quarterback position, elite pass rushers are the most coveted position, and thus the least likely to be available in abundance. Not to say that there will be no one available, but it won't be as if "the next Dwight Freeny" will fall into the Redskins' lap.

So where does that leave us?

As far as I see it, the options are:

- Developing what we have now

- Hoping a few steals fall in the draft

- Scooping up a player or two in FA who was under-rated (read: a bargin) and/or maybe just needed a change of scenery

These are not great options, but what else is there?

:2cents: I live in NY and I've been hearing rumours of Patrick Ramsey and Randy Thomas to the Jets for John Abraham????

John Abraham has 37 tackles, 6 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles this year.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm not crazy about Ramsey and Randy Thomas was given a hefty contract because of one stand out year with the Jets.

I've always felt that way too. Portis is a heck of a back' date=' but I've always felt that "good" running backs can be just as effective as "great" running backs in the right system. The Patriots won two Super Bowls before they got a "great" back - which they got for considerably cheaper than we got Portis.

I don't know. Are we a considerably worse team right now splitting time between Betts and Julius Jones or Betts and Tatum Bell than we are with Clinton Portis? Maybe our running game is a few degrees worse, but we might have better depth on the lines and in the secondary.

I'm also still of the opinion that we over-spent on Mark Brunell. How many teams right now have the money tied up in three QBs that we do? Again, if you do all that you said and then signed the cheaper Drew Bledsoe, how much worse off are you?

Maybe it will all work out. But it frustrates me that the Skins are 5-4 and fighting for their lives and we have two number one draft picks making a minimal contribution. I just don't think we are so good that we can have a draft filled with projects. Someone needs to contribute.[/quote']

Bad thing abou it is the Skins don't have a 1st rd pick next season.

- Scooping up a player or two in FA who was under-rated (read: a bargin) and/or maybe just needed a change of scenery

I think this is our best option. I don't remember a lot of hype for Marcus Washington or Cornelius Griffin, but they sure turned into studs here. One mid-priced, under-rated FA would go a long way. This about it. When we're healthy, teams can still stop our front four from getting to the QB by asking their Center to double on Griffin. If we had *two* players that required a double team, that would require them to keep in a TE and greatly limit their offense.

:2cents: I live in NY and I've been hearing rumours of Patrick Ramsey and Randy Thomas to the Jets for John Abraham????

John Abraham has 37 tackles, 6 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles this year.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm not crazy about Ramsey and Randy Thomas was given a hefty contract because of one stand out year with the Jets.

I can't believe that we would even consider giving up the most consistant player on our line in Randy Thomas. That would just be plain stupid.

Don't forget that several years back the Skins tried to fix their problems with the former defensive player of the year Dana Stubblefield, and Dan Wilkinson. This obviously didnt pan out of us... I just chalk it up to the woeful Norv/Marty/Ol Ball Coach curse.

What about the fact that we have 9 million coming off the boards after the seasonand there is others who's cap pain is dropping off.we need 2 ends possibly just 1 and a nother d tackle. that van de bosche who was a cardinal and is now a titan who's having a monster year.guys like that who may not be big name guys but are high on effort and motor.will see because i'm personaly done with dockery. and another cb because as with last year. we have cb's who aren't getting any younger.

Well, from the PFT list of UFA free agent DE's, can anyone spot the hidden gem?

DE Aaron Kampman (GB)

DE Anthony Weaver (BAL)

DE Antonio Cochran (ARI)

DE Antwan Lake (ATL)

DE Brandon Green (RFA) (STL)

DE Carl Powell (CIN)

DE Carlos Hall (KC)

DE Cory Redding (RFA) (DET)

DE Darren Howard (NO)

DE Demetric Evans (WAS)

DE DeQuincy Scott (SD)

DE Jacques Cesaire (RFA) (SD)

DE Jared DeVries (DET)

DE Jarret Johnson (RFA) (BAL)

DE Jimmy Wilkerson (RFA) (KC)

DE Joe Tafoya (SEA)

DE John Abraham (NYJ)

DE Juqua Thomas (PHI)

DE Kalimba Edwards (DET)

DE Kemp Rasmussen (CAR)

DE Kenny King (RFA) (ARI)

DE Kenny Peterson (RFA) (GB)

DE Kimo von Oelhoffen (PIT)

DE Kyle Vanden Bosch (TEN)

DE Lance Johnstone (MIN)

DE Marcellus Wiley (JAC)

DE Marco Coleman (DEN)

DE N.D. Kalu (PHI)

DE Orpheus Roye (CLE)

DE Raheem Brock (IND)

DE R-Kal Truluck (ARI)

DE Robert Mathis (RFA) (IND)

DE Rodney Bailey (SEA)

DE Ross Kolodziej (ARI)

DE Ryan Denney (BUF)

DE Travis Hall (SF)

DE Tyoka Jackson (STL)

DE Willie Whitehead (NO)

I do agree, however, that we gave up too much for portis. He doesn't even fit into Gibb's style of offense. I think Betts is the better back. I wouldn't mind seeing them trade Portis for a DE next year. Fine with me. RB's can be replaced.

Portis may not bulldoze through the line but he is far superior to Betts

Consider this Portis is averaging 4.5 yds a carry this year while Betts is only averaging 4.1. On the year Portis, who has carried the majority of the workload has 1 fumble which we did not lose. Betts has lost 2 (though 1 was a kickoff). Portis is on pace for 300 yds recieving to go with 1300 yds. In his career he has only missed 4 games. Betts has missed 13 games.

On Portis not being a Gibbs style back...

The great John Riggins never averaged more than 4.6 yds a carry any year in his career and was a paltry 3.9 yds a carry over the course of his whole career. Portis's average is higher.

Next you must ask yourself when was the last time you saw Ladell Betts light up a pass rusher. Week in and week out we mention Portis's ability to block. This is a huge part of the RB positition that is often overlooked. Clinton stands above most RBs in this category.

Gibbs Doesn't require a guy to grind out each yard. He needs a guy who can gain yards. When you have great players the systems must be tailored to help the great players. That is why we are now incorporating stretches and pitches.

Portis is the man. Stop hating.:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

That was a very good post E-Dog and I agree with much of what you have to say. But one thing we dont need is a middle linebacker. Lemar Marshall has played well above expectations, has looked decent in pass coverage, fairly stout in run stuffing, and also provides a nice pass rush. I think the answer to our defensive woes are acquireing at least one defensive end and a defensive tackle.

One thing is sure, DT Griffin has been a fantastic free agent acquisition, he has played at a probowl level this year and last. He is the only player on our defensive line that is truly capable of very good play. Phillip Daniels should 100% be replaced in the offseason. If we were to only obtain one defensive end, Daniels is the player who should go. He misses tackles, blows assignments, gets stood up on running plays, and truly doesnt offer a pass rush. And while Joe Salave'a is tough and would make a great back up d-tackle he just isnt starting caliber.

If we the Redskins can get pressure from the front four that allows the defense to do so many more things. We can seal up our pass defense and truly become a dominant group. We are simply a few players away from being a top tier defense in the NFL.

Exactly, which has found me yelling at the TV on draft day for them to get DT's and DE's. It makes no sense to me and there is no excuse.

Oh there are LOTS of excuses. Come to the board on draft day after the skins fail to draft for the DL again and post your opinion. You'll have lots of people telling you how stupid you are and providing you with a laundry list of reasons why drafting DL would have been a horrible idea.

Portis may not bulldoze through the line but he is far superior to Betts

Consider this Portis is averaging 4.5 yds a carry this year while Betts is only averaging 4.1. On the year Portis, who has carried the majority of the workload has 1 fumble which we did not lose. Betts has lost 2 (though 1 was a kickoff). Portis is on pace for 300 yds recieving to go with 1300 yds. In his career he has only missed 4 games. Betts has missed 13 games.

On Portis not being a Gibbs style back...

The great John Riggins never averaged more than 4.6 yds a carry any year in his career and was a paltry 3.9 yds a carry over the course of his whole career. Portis's average is higher.

Next you must ask yourself when was the last time you saw Ladell Betts light up a pass rusher. Week in and week out we mention Portis's ability to block. This is a huge part of the RB positition that is often overlooked. Clinton stands above most RBs in this category.

Gibbs Doesn't require a guy to grind out each yard. He needs a guy who can gain yards. When you have great players the systems must be tailored to help the great players. That is why we are now incorporating stretches and pitches.

Portis is the man. Stop hating.:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

I agree. I guess this hindsight game is coming into play more and more. - I guess no one remembers the big question mark on Betts being his inability to stay healthy in training camp for 2 consecutive years.

To add to the argument that Portis is not a "typical Gibbs back", with his added weight this year, Portis is the exact same weight as Byner was in 1991.

Drafting FBs will be the death of us...2 in the same draft? WTF? We have Sellers and Cooley...two really good H-backs. Passing on Chris Canty was not smart...lol.

again, hindsight. - This past summer everybody wanted Sellers to be cut because of a couple personal fouls last year.

I agree with a couple of quiet FA pick-ups on the D-line,like Griffin and Marcus were.

Maybe we could trade Ramsey to Arizona for Bertrand Berry? :D

I also agree with whoever mentioned Kyle Vandenbosch, - then we draft 2 DT's and a CB.

1 DE Beast would improve our defense by leaps and bounds! This can be done next year, Danny-boy will find a way!!!

I agree. It is obvious that our linebackers and secondary can hold it down. All we need is a pass-rusher so that we do not have to blitz so much with our linebackers and corners so that they can do what they do best and that is sit back, cause turnovers, and knock people out.

I, too, am baffled that we don't get DEs and how Blache is in love with Wynn and Daniels. We do have a problem getting pressure with our front 4 - just like we did last year. We should finally draft a pass rusher.

However, the difference is that, this year, teams are stacking up to stop the blitz. We used to have guys that would get a clean run at the QB, last year. It never happens this year.

So we can't blitz as much, but our defense is still as good. In fact, we are giving up less passing yards per game this year than last year. It's just we aren't having Shawn Springs runnning untouched and sacking the QB, and stuff like that.

The defense might look worse, but it is producing about the same. The extra 28 yards per game the defense is giving up so far this year is mostly due to having the tough part of the schedule in the beginning this year, instead of at the end like last year. More specifically it is coming from those huge runs that we gave up.

It will all even out after the easy part of our schedule, which is coming up.

Fix the missed tackles and blown coverages, and we'd look a lot better and nobody would be complaining.

Archived