Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Conspiracy theory

Awesome

WHAT IF Snyder knew he would be getting SS in 2002, BEFORE he hired Marty?? After firing Norv and Terry, Snyder goes to SS to ask him to be his coach, offering him gobbs of $$ and all the power he wants. SS, no doubt intrigued, tells Danny that he wants one more year at Florida. He's got a very talented team, with a budding star QB of a caliber not seen in Gainesville since DW was carried off the field. One more run at a title, and then he'll come coach the Redskins.

Snyder then goes and gives a very conservative Marty full control, for what he knows will only be a year gig. Snyder figures,

'ok, anything short of a Super Bowl, and this guy's gone in a year. When I fire him, I'll tell everyone that it's b/c he refuses to give up any of his autonomy over football operations. Since I know what kind of guy Marty is, I doubt he ever will agree to give up any of that power once it's been given to him anyway, even if he is losing. After I clean house, I'll go after a GM of my choosing and I'll have the coach I've always dreamed about. Danny wins !!!!'

Just some food for thought. It's late, and I thought I'd change it up and throw in something off the wall. Enjoy:cheers:

It's always fun to make wild guesses at something like this, but, in this case, other than the fun you had coming up with it, it's not a very good conspiracy. Snyder wouldn't have allowed the contract to be guaranteed the way he did if he intended on only one year with Marty.

He'd have hired a young buck or a loyal guy, or Pepper Rogers, to get us through the year at a pretty cheap price and then brought Spurrier back. All accounts indicate that had Marty been willing to give up some little bit of control he'd have remained as the coach. I think that's accurate.

Marty would not do so and he's got a new gig in San Diego that leaves him with less authority than he could have retained here. It's better for him and probably better for us. As Bulldog said of Marty, and was echoed by others here and last night even on NFL2Night, Marty's style of ball will take a team to a certain level, but the nature of the style is ultimately limiting.

Spurrier's style is not ultimately limiting. It may fall flat once teams scheme for him and start taking away from Wuerffel and Matthews the throws they can make and forcing them to make throws that aren't so easy for them, but, right now, he seems on target at least in terms of capturing the team and getting it ready to play.

That's a bit elaborate to be feasible. And the same thing occurred to me that occurred to Art: $25M is an awfully high price tag for hiring Marty as cover for only one year.

I think Snyder simply tried as hard as he could to hire a franchise head coach, and Schottenheimer was as good as he could get at the time. Snyder really wanted Spurrier, but Spurrier's plans didn't match up with our franchise's needs.

mphilips16

That was one good "change up" before you went nighty, night. :laugh:

I think Dan Snyder looks at a guy and his record and thinks

"either he'll get lured by the dough or for the love of the game".

SS took it for both :laugh:

Seriously, for him to fork over 5mil, tells me it was more of a buyout for future considerations on SS's overall value in endorsements, Florida marketing base that still would make him rich, as well the golf scene, personal committments. All said and done, one had to be willing to compensate for what was truly going to be a lucrative continuance at the University of Florida.

If he wanted SOS in 2002, Snyder would have kept Robiskie around.

Marty seemed like a good choice, and it was a reality slapdown (one of many) for Snyder's critics, who said he couldn't hire a good coach "the way he treated Turner." (I guess the critics objected to Snyder firing a career loser as Redskins' HC).

So Snyder went out and hired Exhibit A in the critics' gallery of Sports Authorities Who Criticized Snyder.

Personally, I think Snyder should have

- given Ray Rhodes a long term contract (Rhodes rejected a short term one because it would have meant losing his pay from Green Bay)

- given Robiskie a year.

- waited on Marvin Lewis.

But I liked Marty too. Now that we are finding out how much the players hated him, I realize firing him was probably a good decision. SOS' exciting preseason also has got me happy that everything seems to have worked out.

Archived