Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hollywood and gang violence

gimpy007

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1304075

It seems that Hollywood once again is finding a way to exploit gang violence to make a profit.

If you make a movie about gang violence it will atract gang violence.

I remember in the late 80's - the mid 90's that there was a big push in Hollywood about gang violence. Gang violence was at its peak during those days. And Hollywood can not for one minute think that they had nothing to do with it. How can they sleep at night knowing that you are glamorizing gang violence just to make a buck?

I grew up in a neighborhood where it was common to be raised by a single mom working two jobs. The sad thing is that that same neighborhood that I called home was also violent. Gangs, drugs, drive by shootings, etc were an everyday part of life. And I saw how the movies and music influenced it. I am willing to bet that if Hollywood did not glamorize it then it would have been a much safer neighborhood to live in.

To the entertainers I ask, beg, and plead with you to not participate in this type of entertainment. Take a stand for what is right.

To the consumers I ask that you not support them by buying their CD’s and paying to watch the movies they make.

If it does not sell they will not make it!

complain to the NAACP. I wrote them a lonf letter about this kind of stuff,

after they raised hell about the game "Ghettopoly". don't take this as a racist statement, because I don't think that anyone should be making movies, records, or humor that dipicts sex, drugs, violence, and criminal behavior in an attractive or acceptable fashion.

My beef with the NAACP on this, was the double standard that is prevailent, with regards to the above. More specifically, if an African American artist, or producer does this, there is no complaint by them or Jesse.....but if you are not an AA then it's a totally degrading, stereotyping, racist, statement ,movie, record.......according to them.:rant:

Wait, wait...so mafia movies like Goodfellas are acceptable? Drugs sex and violence in that one. Same with Scarface.

You are right if they glamorize it in the movie, I don't care what ethnic group is involved. I was disgusted after watching Scarface, more like sick to my stomach I wouldn't want to watch it again. I don't remember Goodfellas as well, would you say that the movie made the lifestyle look atractive?

You are right if they glamorize it in the movie, I don't care what ethnic group is involved. I was disgusted after watching Scarface, more like sick to my stomach I wouldn't want to watch it again. I don't remember Goodfellas as well, would you say that the movie made the lifestyle look atractive?

Absolutely.

Goodfellas was based on a true story though.

It started off in the 50's, the stuff the main character, Henry Hill, was doing was potrayed as innocent, like stealing cigarettes off a truck and selling them. By the late 70's he was abusing his wife, cheating on her, snorting coke, killing people, masterminding the lufthansa heist and some other stuff. When they show him in jail, they show him in a low security prison, pretty much having his way, in there with his friends. They're cooking italian food and having a good time. At the end of the movie he's put on trial, snitches on his cohorts and the last scene shows him in a generic house, fetching the morning paper off his doorstep. He looks at the camera, winks, nods, and thats the end of the movie.

I don't know if I'd call it attractive, but maybe call it romanticizing? Anyway, I find it to be a crock of **** that movies like that, the Godfather, etc are considered classics but the minute the homies from the ghetto come rolling up in a lowrider, older white people get scared and nervous.

If you know anything about hip hop culture you'll know that the rappers like 50 cent are all about movies like Goodfellas, Godfather, Scarface, etc, movies that AREN'T about blacks. It's referenced at times in their lyrics, videos and their names (there's a rapper named scarface, there are also some others who take their stage name from mafia movies, they are escaping me now though) so it's not like the two are separated. If anything, they're linked. Look at how 50 Cent is dressing in that picture on the link, looks more John Gotti than Homey G, right?

It's a double standard, and my parents and I have argued ad nauseum about it. They claim that the "delivery and the way things are talked about and shown" are different when they see movies like Boyz in the Hood, etc. But to me in mafia/gang movies, killing is killing, drugs are drugs, sex is sex and violence is violence no matter which way you cut it.

To talk about movies like Godfather, Goodfellas, Carlito's Way, Scarface and praise them as great filmmaking while putting down 50 Cent's foray into the movie making industry is a double standard.

complain to the NAACP. I wrote them a lonf letter about this kind of stuff,

after they raised hell about the game "Ghettopoly". don't take this as a racist statement, because I don't think that anyone should be making movies, records, or humor that dipicts sex, drugs, violence, and criminal behavior in an attractive or acceptable fashion.

My beef with the NAACP on this, was the double standard that is prevailent, with regards to the above. More specifically, if an African American artist, or producer does this, there is no complaint by them or Jesse.....but if you are not an AA then it's a totally degrading, stereotyping, racist, statement ,movie, record.......according to them.:rant:

:applause: I can't stand the NAACP or what they stand for.

Space,

Thanks for the insite on that, I only had half of the story. It's starting to gel for me now. The corelation between the Italian crime orgs and the current drug/crime orgs are pretty similar. There is a message there about a high lifestyle with the power and the decadence, and some sort of

respect.

We're talking about the same thing. My rant was about the lack of guidence by the NAACP and Jesse, Al Sharpton., in regards to the promotion of this type of entertainment. Beyond that, I can't tell if they are so concerned about the treatment of AA's by non-AA's that they are missing the boat here with thier own. Or that they have no case because it's free speach not percieved racism, when it's thier own involved in promoting and supporting negative stereotypical roles. However, like all politics it is hypocritical.

I do think that the Hip Hop community is way more influential now than Hollywood. Hollywood may have gotten ball rolling faster, but now I think

this music industry is reinforcing the message. And you are right, the whole entertainment buss. neads to clean up it act. But they won't because there's billions of dollars there for the taking, under the protection of the 1st amendment, and the argument that they "are only giving the people what they want" throwing the responcibility back on society.

Absolutely.

It started off in the 50's, the stuff the main character, Henry Hill, was doing was potrayed as innocent, like stealing cigarettes off a truck and selling them. By the late 70's he was abusing his wife, cheating on her, snorting coke, killing people, masterminding the lufthansa heist and some other stuff. When they show him in jail, they show him in a low security prison, pretty much having his way, in there with his friends. They're cooking italian food and having a good time. At the end of the movie he's put on trial, snitches on his cohorts and the last scene shows him in a generic house, fetching the morning paper off his doorstep. He looks at the camera, winks, nods, and thats the end of the movie.

I don't know if I'd call it attractive, but maybe call it romanticizing? Anyway, I find it to be a crock of **** that movies like that, the Godfather, etc are considered classics but the minute the homies from the ghetto come rolling up in a lowrider, older white people get scared and nervous.

If you know anything about hip hop culture you'll know that the rappers like 50 cent are all about movies like Goodfellas, Godfather, Scarface, etc, movies that AREN'T about blacks. It's referenced at times in their lyrics, videos and their names (there's a rapper named scarface, there are also some others who take their stage name from mafia movies, they are escaping me now though) so it's not like the two are separated. If anything, they're linked. Look at how 50 Cent is dressing in that picture on the link, looks more John Gotti than Homey G, right?

It's a double standard, and my parents and I have argued ad nauseum about it. They claim that the "delivery and the way things are talked about and shown" are different when they see movies like Boyz in the Hood, etc. But to me in mafia/gang movies, killing is killing, drugs are drugs, sex is sex and violence is violence no matter which way you cut it.

To talk about movies like Godfather, Goodfellas, Carlito's Way, Scarface and praise them as great filmmaking while putting down 50 Cent's foray into the movie making industry is a double standard.

Good call Spaceman. You are wise beyond your age.

My wife and I were talking about this the other night. One thing we talked about was what types of movies/TV shows we would let our kids watch. One that we both agreed was okay although some might think differently was CSI. I have been told that is too graphic. I told them "of course it’s too graphic, for a 5 year old." But I would much rather have my kids watch that then TV shows like the OC that promote teenagers having sex or have them watch some movie that makes it look cool to be a criminal. Who knows...? Maybe a show like CSI might encourage them to be a cop.

So my question for people is what do you think about shows like CSI, Without a Trace, or HOUSE..? Yes, these shows can be a bit graphic, but in my opinion, not in a bad way.

Absolutely.

Wow. I would have to agree with this 100%. I really can't say it any better. :applause:

Absolutely.

Great Post Spiff, I agree completely :cheers:

Archived