Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT- I have a few LOTR questions for those in the know.

Tommy-the-Greek

I just bought the dvd yesterday and watched it for the first time. What is the order of the novels and what number is LOTR in that order.

What was the creature in the mines that was so much bigger then the orc's and it chased Baggins around that rock playing peek a boo? Was that a troll?

Did Gandolf die in that fall?

And just my opinion, two little hobbits heading towards that mountain alone seems fairly hopeless. And damn that ending made me mad. Now you have to wait for the next movie too see how the quest turns out.

But overall it was an incredible movie. Epic battle scenes, outstanding special effects, characters that seemed perfectly casted and they worked together so well to pull it off. Anyone who didn't see this movie it is a MUST see.

I just bought the dvd yesterday and watched it for the first time. What is the order of the novels and what number is LOTR in that order.

The LOTR is part of a trilogy, and you more or less saw the first book, with a ton of stuff stripped out. Tolkien wrote a few other books, most notably, the Hobbit.

What was the creature in the mines that was so much bigger then the orc's and it chased Baggins around that rock playing peek a boo? Was that a troll?

Cave Troll.

No Comment.

And just my opinion, two little hobbits heading towards that mountain alone seems fairly hopeless. And damn that ending made me mad. Now you have to wait for the next movie too see who the quest turns out.

That's half the point of the hobbits.

But overall it was an incredible movie. Epic battle scenes, outstanding special effects, characters that seemed perfectly casted and they worked together so well to pull it off. Anyone who didn't see this movie it is a MUST see.

The movie you have is The Fellowship of the Ring...it is the first part of the trilogy. The Two Towers will be out in theatres this December and The Return of the King in December 2003.

The Hobbit is not involved in the actual trilogy but it sets up the story because it involves the story where Bilbo finds the Ring.

Its hard to force myself not to buy the DVD but I want to wait until November when the DVD with the deleted scenes comes out. :D

That's half the point of the hobbits.

Actualy that was the WHOLE point of the books. The idea that one person, no matter how small can change the world.

Tommy, If you enjoyed the movie you should read the books. As good as the movie is, the books are so much better. Start with The Hobbit (it prefaces The Lord of the Rings) then read the trillogy.

When you are done with that, I recomend the Dune books. Maybe the most thought provoking books I have ever read and one of the greatest epic stories ever put to paper, and I have read hundreds. :thumbsup:

I'm re-reading the trilogy (actually it's six books...the popular version in the U.S. made it into a trilogy). Pure escapism of the highest quality.

I'm glad they cut Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, though. I just can't see it working, but it would have been nice to preserve the Barrow Wight.

Originally posted by tommy-the-greek

And just my opinion, two little hobbits heading towards that mountain alone seems fairly hopeless. And damn that ending made me mad. Now you have to wait for the next movie too see how the quest turns out.

Glad to see their are other Tolkien fans that are football fans.

I agree with Mad Mike...read the books. They are fantastic. A little wordy and slow at first, but Tolkien draws you in.

The Lord of the Rings is a Trilogy, as others have mentioned. The Hobbit is the prelude to the LOTRs. Tolkien wrote the others after people clamoured for more stories about Hobbits.

The other stories follow like this:

--The Fellowship of the Ring---that's the movie you just watched.

--The Two Towers---the movie based on this book will be out in Dec.

--The Return of the King---I guess you know who the king is, right?

Do you really want to know if Gandalf dies in the fall?????

I mean, a lot of people hate to have a movie spoiled for them.

Trust me, and I'm not joking here, Samwise is an absolute bad@ss in the next few movies. NOBODY puts Frodo in a corner. :)

I can't wait to see how they do Shelob.

Archived