Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Team problems

smack500

Even though we are very much improved team overall we still have some big problems

1. O line- this is still a huge problem and causes all types of problems on our offence. We could have huge numbers on most teams, running and passing, if our o line was better. Even against the eagles several drives were ended early because of pressure.

2. Defense against the run - this is not a one game thing. Last year it took a miracle for a rb to get a 100 yds against us, now we give up yards like a cheap hooker gives out sex. Part of this is because of walt harris, hes not a starting caliber cb. Also we need a better pass rusher to get more penetration. I know I am exagerating a bit, but seriously we have a problem with allowing big run plays.

3. Number 2 wr could be improved - not a big deal at this point, but I think pattens best years are behind him.

4. Turnovers - not sure how to correct this but we have to many fumbles. Doesnt matter if we got them back in the last game or not, we should hold on to the ball. Also were not creating enough turnovers on the other side of the ball.

I think our biggest weakness will be against teams that blitz alot, and have a very good running game.

1. i thought our oline played great last night, and brunell went 21-29.... run blocking could improve...

2. westbrook had 24 yards on 17 carries last night....

3. i agree, see patten thread.

4. this is our biggest issue to me... we need to create more, and brunell cant give away 1 each game.

I agree wth you that Patten is a bit over paid for what he has produced, but he has the potential to be very good. I think our offensive line issues should be dealt with in the draft. Limiting turnovers will come, thats just some fine tuning from the coaches and covering up the ball by the players. Greg Williams will take care of the defense. I think we should address CB before D-line, Walt Harris specifically. I think Redskins are a good team and I see us making the playoffs this season. At least two teams from NFC East, maybe three will make it to the playoffs.

No one said the team is bad for gods sake, Im just pointing out things we can improve on. If you want to be a better team you look at your weaknesses and try to fix them.

Please shut up about stopping westbroke, philly is one dimensional they dont run the ball. Also I dont see how anyone cant see our o line hurts us, especially in our running game. Brunnell had to throw it away way to many times as well.

one thing ive noticed being such a die hard fan is that with the rose colored glasses on weaknesess are going to look much worse. you cant expect every pass to be a 35 yarder or every run to be a 20 yarder thats just not the way it works. dont get me wrong we have some areas to work on but it always looks worse when your expectations are too high.

You titled your thread "Team Problems". You didn't title it "Minor areas needing improvement".

I think Patton is getting a bit of a bum deal on this board. Part of his problem is that Brunell seems to be focused on Santana and Cooley. Last night he finally started going to Portis and Sellers a bit later in the game.

I saw him throw to Patton twice. Once a real good thing happened. The second time DP made a nice catch but could not stay in bounds.

You titled your thread "Team Problems". You didn't title it "Minor areas needing improvement".

I think Patton is getting a bit of a bum deal on this board. Part of his problem is that Brunell seems to be focused on Santana and Cooley. Last night he finally started going to Portis and Sellers a bit later in the game.

I saw him throw to Patton twice. Once a real good thing happened. The second time DP made a nice catch but could not stay in bounds.

So, when multiple drives are ended early because brunnell has to throw the ball away, or huge 50+ yard runs on our D are minor problems?

I think we are good enough to go to the playoffs as we are now, but imo we need to improve on the first 2 points I brought up to be in contention to win a super bowl. I dont see how you can see the colts play, and think we have a chance against them at this point.

You titled your thread "Team Problems". You didn't title it "Minor areas needing improvement". hink Patton is getting a bit of a bum deal on this board. Part of his problem is that Brunell seems to be focused on Santana and Cooley. Last night he finally started going to Portis and Sellers a bit later in the game.

I agree. Since Moss pulled our rears out of the fire at Dallas he gets the 1st and 2nd look from Brunell. We're going to need to get it to Patten more often. Granted Moss may be a little faster and shiftier but Patten is no slouch either.

Even though we are very much improved team overall we still have some big problems

1. O line- this is still a huge problem and causes all types of problems on our offence. We could have huge numbers on most teams, running and passing, if our o line was better. Even against the eagles several drives were ended early because of pressure.

2. Defense against the run - this is not a one game thing. Last year it took a miracle for a rb to get a 100 yds against us, now we give up yards like a cheap hooker gives out sex. Part of this is because of walt harris, hes not a starting caliber cb. Also we need a better pass rusher to get more penetration. I know I am exagerating a bit, but seriously we have a problem with allowing big run plays.

3. Number 2 wr could be improved - not a big deal at this point, but I think pattens best years are behind him.

4. Turnovers - not sure how to correct this but we have to many fumbles. Doesnt matter if we got them back in the last game or not, we should hold on to the ball. Also were not creating enough turnovers on the other side of the ball.

I think our biggest weakness will be against teams that blitz alot, and have a very good running game.

I agree with your post for the MOST part. Tampa Bay still has a tough defense, and they are playing at home, so it's anybody's game down there, but if we play as well as we did last night, minus the fumbles, we should win.

I do agree that our main weakness on defense is against the running game. (The San Diego game scares me already, with L.T. coming to town.) We did hold Westbrook to 20 some yards last night, but admittedly, Westbrook is no L.T.

Our offense does have trouble picking up the blitz, even though it's OBVIOUS sometimes the opposing team's defense, is bringing everything but the kitchen sink. I'm am confident the O-line will continue to improve throughout the season.

We do fumble too much, and that baffles me. Maybe Gibbs needs to try Duck Taping the ball to their hands, like Tim McGraw's character in Friday Night Lights!! :laugh:

i agree with you totally , and to those of you pointing out how we shut down westbrook should stop and realize that the eagles couldnt run all year , shutting down westbrook's run is by far not a big step up
that might be true but westbrook dangerous out of the backfield also and there were plays where eagles tried to develop the screen and we were there:eaglesuck

1. Pass blocking has been very good for the most part. Run blocking has been below average. That needs to improve.

2. Im a littl less worried about the run defense than I was. Getting Griffin back should help alot and the run defense looked very good this week.

3. Yep, Patten has been non-existent. Thank God for Cooley.

4. Turnovers are a proble, and we definately need to stop with the butterfingers. As for forcing turnovers, more would be nice, but not at the expense of giving up the big play. the major problem with the defense like I have been saying, is lack of a pass rush, and recently bad tackling. The tackling can be improved, and i think it will be. The pass rush, however will be a problem all year.

Archived