Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Top 10 Disappointing Players (Samuels & Lavar)

tsunami001

I searched and didn't see this posted, so sorry if it's a repost. Personally, I think Samuels has regressed a little, but not to the extent where he is one of the 10 most disappointing in the NFL. :logo:

Chris Samuels, Offensive Tackle, Redskins

The Pro Bowl left tackle was gaining a reputation as one of the league's best, but he hasn't delivered consistently this season. In Week 8, he was torched by Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, and that wasn't the first week he had trouble with a fast pass rusher.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/11/03/gallery.dissapointment/content.3.html

LaVar Arrington, Linebacker, Redskins

The Redskins have used the three-time Pro Bowler sparingly this season. Arrington missed most of last season with a knee injury and hasn't worked his way back into the starting lineup. He's a great playmaker, but he has the knock of being undisciplined and driving defensive coordinators crazy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/11/03/gallery.dissapointment/content.8.html

Yeah, and some of us have been commenting on Samuels' steady decline over the past 3 seasons. I seem to recall someone on this board last weekend using (mostly positive) Scouts, Inc. reports on Samuels to defend their position that CS is still really great, and all of that silly BS... Further, this same poster (employing one of many rhetorical fallacies) when on to say that all of the CS detractors on this one particluar thread were wrong and implied that we have no business second guessing the media in general, and Scouts, Inc. in particluar. So, something for someone to shove in their pipe and smoke it.

Samuels is an overpriced, underwhelming OT. He's actually becoming a serious liability for us on the OL. Let's see what options there are in the offseason, and hopefully we'll be able to get rid of this bum.

Yeah, and some of us have been commenting on Samuels' steady decline over the past 3 seasons. I seem to recall someone on this board last weekend using (mostly positive) Scouts, Inc. reports on Samuels to defend their position that CS is still really great, and all of that silly BS... Further, this same poster (employing one of many rhetorical fallacies) when on to say that all of the CS detractors on this one particluar thread were wrong and implied that we have no business second guessing the media in general, and Scouts, Inc. in particluar. So, something for someone to shove in their pipe and smoke it.

Samuels is an overpriced, underwhelming OT. He's actually becoming a serious liability for us on the OL. Let's see what options there are in the offseason, and hopefully we'll be able to get rid of this bum.

wow...CS is an above average lineman...i'll take that. Still has a lot of play left in him and it takes a while for Offensive lineman to develope.

si.com is in love with cutting on lavar. a player who got injured for a year and is now working back into the lineup is not a disappointing player. it sucked that he got hurt, but that doesnt speak anything about his playing ability.

wow...CS is an above average lineman...i'll take that. Still has a lot of play left in him and it takes a while for Offensive lineman to develope.

SND,

Remember that CS is a 5 or 6 year old veteran at this point, selected in the first round his draft class, and is also one of the top 3 highest paid OTs in the NFL. So, with that said, the "development" stage argument doesn't apply.

Don't mind Oakton. Apart from the obscenity laced PM he sent me, his view that Samuels has "declined" in the past three years only underscores the absurdity of his point. Last year, Samuels had a Pro-Bowl like year, something that's actually touched on in the piece panning Samuels when it states that he's been getting a reputation as one of the league's best. Hello? Nice "decline" huh? The article then goes on to mention that he's "inconsistent" without ever offering any proof other than one half of game last week. To top it all off, they'd put someone like Lavar on the list when the man has hardly played at all. And they put him on that list after it came out that his absence was more due to his healing process rather than his penchant for wanderlust.

Of course, all this is "rhetorical fallacy." :laugh: This coming from someone who can't distinguish his bunghole from a hole in the ground. :laugh:

SND,

Remember that CS is a 5 or 6 year old veteran at this point, selected in the first round his draft class, and is also one of the top 3 highest paid OTs in the NFL. So, with that said, the "development" stage argument doesn't apply.

OSBF,

Linemans tend to hit their primes in their early 30's. Look at the Chiefs line, look at Walter Jones. Giving up on Samuels isn't a good idea. Yes he is getting paid a lot of money, but he is not a bum. Just think if you were a Raiders fan and had Charles Woodsen taking up 10.6 million of your cap space.

OSBF,

Linemans tend to hit their primes in their early 30's. Look at the Chiefs line, look at Walter Jones. Giving up on Samuels isn't a good idea. Yes he is getting paid a lot of money, but he is not a bum. Just think if you were a Raiders fan and had Charles Woodsen taking up 10.6 million of your cap space.

Whoa, you're making too much sense, sir. :laugh: To say that he's a bum is, well, idiotic.

OSBF,

Take a look at Orlando Pace; he's 29 and has been dominant at his position over the last 5 years. Are the KC OTs making Samuels money? Probably not.

Drafting Lavar & Samuels as the #2 & #3 picks, and all the money poured into them, has left many intelligent and faithful Redskins fans legitamately debating for the last five years whether it's been worth it overall. It's a matter that's pretty difficult for the objective thinker to put aside if you're in the "what if" mood, or being a historical critic. The 4 combined pro bowls and the inconsistency from changing coaches are religiously trotted out on one side and the w/l records, stats, and salarly impacts are brought up by the other.

I just tend to think of it as done and can't be un-done and so I hope for the best and think maybe a big payoff from those two may be soon coming with Gibbs here now.

Take a look at Orlando Pace; he's 29 and has been dominant at his position over the last 5 years. Are the KC OTs making Samuels money? Probably not.

Some players are gifted like that...but most of them take a while to develope. Nope...KC's lineman dont get paid squat compared to Samuels and i respect that line. We are the Washington Redskins...we overpay everyone.

He's not playing like the 2nd pick of a draft...i'll say that much.

He may not be, but he's certainly not deserving of the horrendous mischaracterization of his worth that some here would attribute to him. On the brighter side, when the 2000 draft went down an we had the #2 and #3 picks, there were four picks considered blue-chip, can't miss selections. They were Samuels, Lavar, Courtney Brown, and Peter Warrick. We selected the two that didn't bust. That's another way of looking at it.

Drafting Lavar & Samuels as the #2 & #3 picks, and all the money poured into them, has left many intelligent and faithful Redskins fans legitamately debating for the last five years whether it's been worth it overall. It's a matter that's pretty difficult for the objective thinker to put aside if you're in the "what if" mood, or being a historical critic. The 4 combined pro bowls and the inconsistency from changing coaches are religiously trotted out on one side and the w/l records, stats, and salarly impacts are brought up by the other.

I just tend to think of it as done and can't be un-done and so I hope for the best and think maybe a big payoff from those two may be soon coming with Gibbs here now.

Exactly...forgot about how many coaches these two have had. No wonder they were playing inconsisten.

Perhaps your right, Jumbo. But it's probably wishful thinking with respect to CS. Are we going to blame every single coach for Samuels' decline? It's one thing to demonize the SOS/Helton duo, but yet another to lump Bugel into that mix as well.

He may not be, but he's certainly not deserving of the horrendous mischaracterization of his worth that some here would attribute to him. On the brighter side, when the 2000 draft went down an we had the #2 and #3 picks, there were four picks considered blue-chip, can't miss selections. They were Samuels, Lavar, Courtney Brown, and Peter Warrick. We selected the two that didn't bust. That's another way of looking at it.

goldenstar,

You are absolutely correct. I truly thought Peter Warrick was going to be amazing coming in...you just never know. The inconsistency of Lavar and Samuels has been because of the many coaching changes we have had. I believe that after time and playing under JG that these 2 players will prove they were worth the picks. Also i find it ridiculous that people think Lavar was a bust just because he wasn't the next LT. That ticks me off because he was one of the LB's that ever played and for someone to be a bust just because he wasn't the next LT is beyond me.

Some players are gifted like that...but most of them take a while to develope. Nope...KC's lineman dont get paid squat compared to Samuels and i respect that line. We are the Washington Redskins...we overpay everyone.

Ok, and so the point is that it is possible to acquire high caliber OTs for considerably less money. If there's a way to dump Samuels - perhaps through an offseason trade - then, it needs to be considered as an option. Continuing down this path with CS just seems to be nothing short of a gamble.

Good post. Let's hope that some select people (e.g., Sean Taylor) develop while Gibbs is here.

Archived