Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCants

Golgo-13

Who does this kid remind you guys of? He's almost like a stronger Randy Moss type of player in my mind (w/o the crappy attitude.) He is tall, has great hands and is fast once he gets into his stride. He could be a very interesting prospect. I'm wondering what you guys think...

C'mon...we all know that about Moss. I'm just trying to draw some comparisons to see what kind of player he is and has the potential to become. As a side note...Randy COULD have it all but probably never will because he's too much of a dumbass to realize it.

He's a stronger Alvin Harper - which is what Westbrook should hvae been for us. If he keeps his nose clean (Harper-inspired pun intended) and learns disciplined route running, he could be quite a weapon.

What's funny is that his deep threat credentials make the Gardner comparison that ASF is promoting a bit unfair, like apples and oranges if you will. The receivers that Gardner should most emulate are big, physical guys with average speed, but great hands and route running, like Cris Carter or Michael Irvin or Terrell Owens or David Boston.

McCants has an additional gear that Gardner doesn't have, so he has deep threat capabilities that Gardner does not. Again, I'd liken him to Alvin Harper more than Carter, Irvin, etc.

As we saw with Irvin-Harper, Gardner-McCants could end up being a very good combination for us. (And wouldn't it be ironic that run-happy Schotty brought both in in the same draft!) But we'll see how they develop.

Originally posted by redman

The receivers that Gardner should most emulate are big, physical guys with average speed, but great hands and route running, like Cris Carter or Michael Irvin or Terrell Owens or David Boston.

I agree with you redman, but not on Terrell Owens. He's a big guy AND he's a fast mo-fo, which is why he's one of the top 3 WRs in the league.

The Harper comparison for McCants isn't bad. He plays faster than his forty time and excels downfield. McCants seems to have a little more run-after-the-catch ability than Harper, in my opinion. He seems to have a real natural feel for the game, too.

Gardner has big-time potential. He's faster than Chris Carter ever dreamed of being. He has about the same kind of speed as Owens, but might be a little quicker.

David Boston isn't a fair comparison because Boston is freakishly big AND fast. He's a stronger Randy Moss. Did you see him torch Charles Woodson last season?

The guy I like to cite as an example for Gardner is Jimmy Smith. Similar size and athletic ability. Smith is another guy who isn't a true burner but still makes big plays down the field all the time. He's also one of the most reliable go-to receivers in the league. Gardner still has to prove it, but I think he has that kind of potential.

I like McCants, but it's hard to imagine him doing anything against a first team defense. We may have found ourselves the Rip Van Winkle of wideouts in McCants (hopefully) but we have to remember that he was playing against scrubs and fringe players.

Gardner is simply a more talented version of McCants.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

I like McCants, but it's hard to imagine him doing anything against a first team defense. We may have found ourselves the Rip Van Winkle of wideouts in McCants (hopefully) but we have to remember that he was playing against scrubs and fringe players.

Gardner is simply a more talented version of McCants.

Bingo!

Why are we talking like McCants is a physical specimen that Gardner could only dream to be?

After all, unless his coach at Delaware St. is the dumbest man on the planet for underutilizing McCants, McCants underperformed in college. That amount of catches, despite the amount of TDs, does not speak well for him as a pure passcatcher. I've never seen a WR perform the way McCants did in college and end up being a very good NFL player. I hope he becomes great, mind you, but it would take a significant amount of faith to actually believe it.

Meaningwhile, Gardner caught 60-80 passes in each of his last 2 seasons.

Well marty is considered Smart and yet the offensive numbers last year wouldnt be what I consider awesome yet we did have talented players here that were not utilized properly or in the instance of L Centers released.

So you never know.

DMac has gotten stronger this past offseason and one of those "scrubs" is going to be the 3rd or 4th corner on most teams we will face so he could have a nice seaon.

chiefhogskin48,

Delaware St. plays an single-wing option offense. It's amazing that 36 passes were even thrown to McCants. In that kind of offense, that should be a testament to what his coach thought of his ability.

My favorite McCants college play was when he returned an onsides kick for a TD. Ever seen anyone do that?

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

Why are we talking like McCants is a physical specimen that Gardner could only dream to be?

After all, unless his coach at Delaware St. is the dumbest man on the planet for underutilizing McCants, McCants underperformed in college. That amount of catches, despite the amount of TDs, does not speak well for him as a pure passcatcher.

McCant's have a very impressive, and very unique physical stature. A part of the problem, is that he's a basketball player. McCant's never dreamed of going to college for F-Ball. He only went to Deleware state for College after his basketball scholarships fell through ... I forgot why.

Anyway, McCant's was awarded a football scholarship after meeting with the coach, adn showing him that he had nice hands, that he could jump out of the gym, and that he was fast. That's it, there was zero football game film on him.

In college, McCant's line-up as a Tight-end in the wing-T offense, that's why he only had 36 catches.

Anyway, as for the future, I think Terrell Owens is the appropriate role model.

Despite his strength, Boston is more of a pure speed WR with exceptional RAC. Harper did nothing but run fly patters and fades, and it was understood that he couldn't run a real route or catch balls with his hands to save his life.

McCants has very nice hands, he just plucks the ball, and he seems very aggressive on the inside stuff. If he gets bigger and more polished ... you could see some T.Owens in him.

Archived