Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LAVAR ARRINGTON needs to START

GO GO SKINS

he played a decent amount again today...it wasnt his lack of PT that made us lose, if you recall the play that IMO put us out of it was when shockey ran over him for a TD...that being said i think he needs to start too but i just want the defense to solidify and be decent...we are getting are tails kicked on D and its gotta stop or we wont win another game.

Lavar did miss that tackle on Shockey, however Holdman missed a hell of a lot of tackles, got blocked by TE's and overpursued a couple of times. He is terrible and Lavar would be an upgrade w/o a doubt. G. Williams is really beginning to piss me off with his BS. Holdman is below average. Get hiss A#$ out of the game please!

Lavar needs to be in EVERY defencsive PLAY!!

That defence coach needs an (#@%#@ ) backside reaming by the team coach Joe Gibbs. He has the defence so scared and confused none of the players even know if they are going to play from one week to the next or for that matter one play to another, I mean Walt Harris should be bench warmin. He sucked bad!

LaVar DOES need to start. He needs to start in the same way Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Takeo Spikes and others start. He is a huge spark for the team. He makes big plays which energize a team. Right now, outside of Taylor, Washington doesn't have many big play guys. Regardless of how much he plays, it doesn't make as big a difference as it would if you announce to the other team a week in advance, LaVar is starting and they know they need to worry about him. It helps make a team change what they may want to do.

Second, LaVar demands respect from offenses. His speed and ability makes sure players take extra precautions when hes on the field. They watch out for him and he is a major presence. Hes a threat they have to account for, much like a deep ball reciever. He is a defensive equivalent of Moss. IT allows other defenders to make plays as well.

Plus, he is a MUCH better than Holdman. A LB that couldn't stay on the team for Chicago or Cleveland.

Plays like Urlacher and Lewis don't even need to play well. The mere fact they're on the field makes players change what they do just for them. You would think a guy like Williams would love to have a guy get free to the QB because you have a HB, FB and TE trying to block Arrington (which happened in SF on two different occasions). Washington's defense could use something like that.

LaVar should never come out unless he's tired. He and Sean Taylor are two guys who should be part of every "package" the genius decides to run.

The fact that in about 2 games LaVar has as many tackles as Blache's boy Holdman has had in 7 just further humiliates this defensive staff and continues to shine a spotlight on their petty treatment of LaVar.

Yeah, Lavar starting will magically make the team tackle better. :rolleyes:

I understand the frustration, but Arrington starting for all snaps doesn't make our defensive play today that much better. As a group, they didn't play well at all.

Just a reminder: Arrington does not play every position.

Jason

Did not need such a dumb remark genius. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that Lavar doesnt play all positions and that he can win a game on his own. We do know that he makes a significant contribution and makes the players around him play at another level. Being on the field thirty percent of the time will not have such an effect.

Did not need such a dumb remark genius. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that Lavar doesnt play all positions and that he can win a game on his own. We do know that he makes a significant contribution and makes the players around him play at another level. Being on the field thirty percent of the time will not have such an effect.

I don't think it is a dumb remark. The defense as a whole played like crap, with or without Arrington in there. He certainly didn't seem to "make the players around him play at another level" today.

While I certainly respect Lavar's ability, Lavar playing more snaps today probably wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game, particularly since the offense turned over the ball 4 times.

Jason

Another point I need to make.

Arrington probably isn't in game shape to go the whole game. He wasn't cleared to run until halfway through training camp. I wouldn't be surprised that the reason why he's being eased in is because he's still working himself into game shape. It takes a bit to work yourself into shape.

Jason

From the Redskins Notebook at the Post:

Arrington Replaces Holdman

The debate about if, or when, Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington would return to a starting role took a turn Sunday when weak-side linebacker Warrick Holdman was benched in the second half after a poor performance. The Giants exploited Holdman and right cornerback Walt Harris's side of the defense on runs of 57 and 59 yards, and Arrington played most of the second half. Arrington led the team in tackles last week after being benched for two entire games earlier this season.

When the game was still close, Arrington played primarily in the 3-4 package as an extra linebacker, with Chris Clemons often replacing him on third downs. But the Redskins rarely used the 3-4 in the second quarter, and Arrington played much more in the second half with Holdman standing on the sideline, holding his helmet behind his back. Arrington finished the game with four tackles.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/30/AR2005103001131.html

Archived