Extremeskins

HC: Just like that, NFC East loaded with beasts

JimmiJo

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3422248

Just like that, NFC East loaded with beasts

Coaches help Cowboys, Giants, Redskins become good in a hurry

By JOHN MCCLAIN

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The transformation of the NFC East this season has been amazing.

Not surprising. Just amazing.

Last season, Philadelphia won the division with a 13-3 record. Dallas, Washington and the New York Giants were 6-10.

This season, the NFC East is the NFL's best and most competitive division. All four teams have winning records.

The Eagles, Redskins and Giants are 4-2, a half-game ahead of the Cowboys, the only team in the division that hasn't had an open date.

The division's metamorphosis isn't surprising because of the head coaches.

When Bill Parcells and Joe Gibbs came out of retirement to coach the Cowboys and Redskins and the Giants gave Tom Coughlin another chance after he was fired by Jacksonville, we knew the NFC East would become a beast.

Parcells, Gibbs and Coughlin were either head coaches or assistants who were brought up in the NFC East, a division that was tough, mentally and physically, on the coaches as well as the players. For instance, Parcells is so tough he's beating up on his coaches on the sideline.

Philadelphia coach Andy Reid, an offensive-oriented assistant in Green Bay before the Eagles gave him an opportunity to become a head coach, has been dominating the division.

Although Reid abhors the running game and would throw on just about every down if he could get away with it, he brought a physical presence on defense. Nobody in the division hits harder than the Eagles.

Eagles not flying as high

Because of an ineffective running game and injuries at receiver — not to mention quarterback Donovan McNabb's playing with a hernia — the Eagles appear vulnerable. The way the Cowboys blew them out 33-10 in Dallas two weeks ago sounded a loud alarm.

Although three of the Eagles' four victories have been over teams that currently have a losing record and both losses were to teams that have winning records, they should get the benefit of the doubt when trying to predict the eventual division winner.

If the NFC East winner isn't the Eagles, who will it be?

The Redskins, with resurrected quarterback Mark Brunell the leading candidate to be voted NFL comeback player of the year?

The Giants, with second-year quarterback Eli Manning doing a terrific impersonation of his older brother, Peyton?

The Cowboys, with rejuvenated quarterback Drew Bledsoe and his ageless receivers, Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn?

The two most important positions on a team are the head coach and quarterback. The best combination is still Reid and McNabb, without question.

Gibbs and Parcells may have five Super Bowl rings between them, but would you bet the house that Brunell and Bledsoe can continue playing at their current rate through the end of the season?

Manning has made wonderful strides in his second season with the help of quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride, but as successful as Coughlin was at Jacksonville, he never made it beyond the AFC Championship Game.

Barber most consistent

If we can't predict the division champion based on the coach and quarterback, what about the running backs?

The Eagles made Brian Westbrook their franchise player, but they've been throwing almost 74 percent of the time. It seems as if Westbrook, who has 256 yards rushing, is more effective as a receiver than runner.

The Redskins have the division's best breakaway threat in Clinton Portis, who's the NFC East leader with 544 yards.

Julius Jones leads the Cowboys with 407 yards, but he's missed two starts. Tiki Barber has 483 for the Giants.

Jones can't be counted on because he's hurt too often. Reid isn't committed enough to the run for Westbrook to give the Eagles an advantage. That means it would come down to Portis or Barber. Portis is too erratic. That would give Barber the advantage.

But you know what's supposed to win championships, right?

Philly still has edge

If you just have to pin us down, we're going with the Eagles. It's not a cop-out. Reid is a great coach. McNabb is a great quarterback. And Terrell Owens is, well, a lot of things, but he's also a great receiver.

Ultimately, at least two playoff teams will come from the NFC East, maybe more. The Eagles will win the division. And if there's only one wild card, say hello to Wild Bill?

Coaches help Cowboys, Giants, Redskins become good in a hurry

By JOHN MCCLAIN

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The transformation of the NFC East this season has been amazing.

The Redskins have the division's best breakaway threat in Clinton Portis, who's the NFC East leader with 544 yards.

QUOTE]

Why do Sportswriters say things like that? Apart from a long run the first play of last season, Clinton simply hasn't broken away from anyone's defenders.

In fact, he seems to stumble or fall to even help them tackle him when he gets 20 or so yards past the LOS. I would love him to become the division's best breakaway threat but I think this is probably wishful thinking on the current evidence...

Speaking of beasts, is there anything in the NFL rule books that says an animal can't play for your team?

Theoretically, if you could train a bear to play defensive line or a giraffe to line up for the FG block unit, would it be allowed? I mean, if it's not in the rule books, you could probably do it for say, a game or two before the changed the rules.

Speaking of beasts, is there anything in the NFL rule books that says an animal can't play for your team?

Theoretically, if you could train a bear to play defensive line or a giraffe to line up for the FG block unit, would it be allowed? I mean, if it's not in the rule books, you could probably do it for say, a game or two before the changed the rules.

wow, thats a great thought. the bears could draft bears, the lions draft lions, the eagles draft eagles, the giants draft GIANTS, the redskins draft........... well Indians, Cowboys draft real cowboys. that would be awesome!!!

:laugh:

wow...

wow, thats a great thought. the bears could draft bears, the lions draft lions, the eagles draft eagles, the giants draft GIANTS, the redskins draft........... well Indians, Cowboys draft real cowboys. that would be awesome!!!

It could be like the mascot game on Playstation NCAA football! :laugh:

In fact, he (Portis) seems to stumble or fall to even help them tackle him when he gets 20 or so yards past the LOS. I would love him to become the division's best breakaway threat but I think this is probably wishful thinking on the current evidence...

That answer is incorrect. Teams have been keying on Portis since last year, and will be until we prove that we can beat them deep when they do. SF had to honor the passing game, and it created opportunities for the RBs, with Portis over 100 and Betts near 100. I agree that Portis falls a lot, but this is because he is running low in traffic. You can certainly expect some big games from him going forward.

QUOTE]

Why do Sportswriters say things like that? Apart from a long run the first play of last season, Clinton simply hasn't broken away from anyone's defenders.

In fact, he seems to stumble or fall to even help them tackle him when he gets 20 or so yards past the LOS. I would love him to become the division's best breakaway threat but I think this is probably wishful thinking on the current evidence...

Who else in the division would be considered a better "breakaway threat"? Not Tiki, not Julius Jones, not Westbrook.

who (or what?) would the Browns draft?

Dude, I just got here and I see you have already started 8 different threads on the first page. :) Too much coffee? :laugh:

You may have noticed that they are all news threads.

Bubba is retiring as the senior news gatherer for the site and a few of us are stepping in to help.

I hope Clinton Portis can get a good 150+ on the Giant's because their linebackers and secondary will be playing back and giving the recievers room because of Santana Moss's deep threat, so it should open up some holes for the Running/ground game!

You may have noticed that they are all news threads.

Bubba is retiring as the senior news gatherer for the site and a few of us are stepping in to help.

Right on :thumbsup: I thought the Big B was still gonna be here until a formal replacement was announced. Well you're doing a helluva job already :applause:

Although Reid abhors the running game and would throw on just about every down if he could get away with it, he brought a physical presence on defense. Nobody in the division hits harder than the Eagles.

I saw this and my jaw dropped. I can imagine a number of folks up here would love to discuss this.......

Oh, and I agree with the statement too! :)

Archived