Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hurricane Wilma Devastation: No Skins

GatorEye

Well I just got hit by the third hurricane in just over a year. The eye came right over us - man it was scary. Thanks to my condo association, my roof was in the middle of being replaced from last year's storms when Wilma blew through. My roof didn't leak during last year's storms, but of course with this one, it did. It was raining in my bathroom - water pouring through my light fixtures and fans.

Fortunately I was only without power for less than a day. Most people around will be without power for weeks and people are driving for hours to sit in line for hours for gas. Traffic lights are smashed to ground, no food, and most people have no water.

But I just learned of the worst devastation of all. The first available appointment to fix my satellite dish to watch the Skins on DirecTV was the DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING! Oh the humanity. I mean, it isn't bad enough that I couldn't enjoy the 49ers dismantling because I was preparing for the storm (thank God for Tivo), but now 4 weeks without Comcast post game coverage and two maybe three games missed and I won't be able to enjoy the Eagles game in HD.

If anyone knows a DirecTV repairman in the West Palm Beach area who wants to make some $ on the side let me know.

A man has to have priorities. :mad:

Dude, I feel your pain. My power was out for 3 weeks after Katrina, and my cable ( and Internet) was out for an additional 3 weeks after that. I had to buy the rabbit ears, wrap them in aluminum foil, the whole old-school routine. Got one channel. And the Saints were on it on Sundays.

It was what Hell must be like.

Well I just got hit by the third hurricane in just over a year. The eye came right over us - man it was scary. Thanks to my condo association, my roof was in the middle of being replaced from last year's storms when Wilma blew through. My roof didn't leak during last year's storms, but of course with this one, it did. It was raining in my bathroom - water pouring through my light fixtures and fans.

Fortunately I was only without power for less than a day. Most people around will be without power for weeks and people are driving for hours to sit in line for hours for gas. Traffic lights are smashed to ground, no food, and most people have no water.

But I just learned of the worst devastation of all. The first available appointment to fix my satellite dish to watch the Skins on DirecTV was the DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING! Oh the humanity. I mean, it isn't bad enough that I couldn't enjoy the 49ers dismantling because I was preparing for the storm (thank God for Tivo), but now 4 weeks without Comcast post game coverage and two maybe three games missed and I won't be able to enjoy the Eagles game in HD.

If anyone knows a DirecTV repairman in the West Palm Beach area who wants to make some $ on the side let me know.

A man has to have priorities. :mad:

dude just move the dish around with someone watching the screen until you pick up the signal..

I've done it and it's not as hard as it seems. You an get the azimuth and elevation by entering your zip code at DTV.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/DishPointer.jsp

My sisters AC unit in her hotel room in South Beach was pushed out of the wall and blown across the room while she was sleeping. She said that the winds were the scariest she's ever encountered down there, and the damage was much, much worse for Miami Beach than when Andrew hit.

No worries. We'll find you. Even if Tailgate is still in the basement, ( they did get better lighting though). Glad you're okay down there, but damn. No Redskins? There's got to be some type of NFL Ticket emergency clause somewhere.

What exactly went wrong?

The dish itself is damaged? You can buy one on ebay cheap.

The signal isn't coming in? Call and ask for your coordinates and buy a $2 compass.

The Unit is damaged, again ebay or DTV and have them ship it.

Brother theres a lot you can do without waiting on them damn repair men! PM me if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help!

BTW: I have a spare 3 line dish, if you need it just let me know!!!

I figured I'd give this a bump.

I'm going on day four now at work without power and little to no running water. I guess I can't complain since I'm one of the few people that has had power restored at their homes (yesterday) but I am astounded about how little attention this disaster has received on the national level.

Working for a big hosting company I've had generator power since early Monday and I am astounded by checking the news outlets it seems like they cannot bring themselves to report about Wilma and the people affected by it.

GatorEye, I'm down in Coral Springs and our is just as, if not more devasted than yours. We just got power back in a lot of parts of Coral Springs/Margate since a lot of residential areas are on the same grid as the local hospital.

Bru's room in Margate (441 and Sample) will be open on Sunday and will show the games. I know it's quite the drive from Jupiter but it's one place where you're guaranteed to find the game. Obviously gas is an entirely different issue so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Melbourne seems to be in good shape so that may be a closer and better solution for you.

My grandmom's apartment windows got blown out, her hurricane shutters pulled off, she heard the glass starting to break, she gets out of bed goes into living room, like a minute later it shatters and glass all over her bed, power out, and all. My 2nd cousin's house was detroyed, I don't think theres much left of the house...

The dish may be ok - but it's either out of alignment badly or one of the LNB's is messed up. I get 0 signal strength on Sat A, 90 on B, and 50 on C. The dish is on the roof of my 2 story townhouse and given the fact they are in the middle of repairing my roof, it's not in a state I want to venture up there to mess with it. If it was on the side of my house, I'd be out there day and night messing with it until I got it back.

My only hope is to get the Giants game on national TV and the Bucs as my local game, and of course Philly on ESPN provided my cable service holds up (I have picture but it doesn't look that great). I really love watching the Comcast post game show though.

Not so easy to go to a sports bar when almost everyplace is without power and as Laurent mentioned, I'm conserving gas. Imagine driving 2-3 hours some place to get gas and then waiting up to 5 hours to be able to only purchase $30 worth. That's what is happening here, so needless to say, I can't spend a tank to head down to Coral Springs for the game or I would.

Laurent - I spent my teenage years down in Coral Springs, things sure have changed since I was down there. There was no Sawgrass Expressway - everything on that side of Wiles Rd was still swamp. Spent a lot of my time on the hoop courts at Mullins Park.

DTV was nice enough to suspend my account and not bill me for this month and credit one payment of ST, which they don't normally do, I think the CSR liked me. :) However, given the money or being able to watch the Skins, I'd prefer the Skins.

Archived