Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Week 8 Faceoff: Prisco vs. Judge (Redskins)

bubba9497

Week 8 Faceoff: Prisco vs. Judge

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9005218/rss

Why are the Redskins suddenly a potential division-winning team?

Pete Prisco

The improved play of the offense is the big reason. It starts with quarterback Mark Brunell. He has gone from a player most thought was washed up to one of the league's leading passers, with 12 touchdown throws and just two interceptions. But it's more than just Brunell playing better. The scheme on offense is also better. They are actually getting people into the routes, which they didn't do last year when Joe Gibbs tried to use his old max-protect schemes. That has made it easier to throw the football. And then there's the defense. Gregg Williams is one of the best defensive minds in the game and will be a head coach again. His defense is an aggressive, attacking unit that is fun to watch. They will not sit back and let an offense dictate to them. So it's a combination of things that has made this team better. Brunell is probably at the top of that list, but don't ever forget what the defense does.

Clark Judge

Two reasons: 1) They're getting production out of the quarterback, and 2) their defense is as good as it was a year ago. Quarterback Mark Brunell can take the first curtain call. A year ago, I would've bet that his career was over. I think the Redskins would have, too, otherwise, they wouldn't have used a first-round draft pick on Jason Campbell. Brunell has been extraordinary, with 12 touchdown passes, only 2 interceptions and an NFC-best 98.3 passer rating. The Redskins threw 18 scoring passes in 2004, but, more important, had 17 interceptions. Brunell gives them productivity and has reduced the mistakes -- and that makes a difference with a team that last year lost four games by 13 points. Then there's the defense that kept them competitive in 2004 and keeps them competitive again today. Coordinator Gregg Williams does a terrific job with a group that subtracted starters Fred Smoot and Antonio Pierce yet ranks fourth in yardage and eighth in points. The Redskins don't get blown out, and Brunell delivers the points that were missing a year ago.

I think the Redskins would have, too, otherwise, they wouldn't have used a first-round draft pick on Jason Campbell.

That had less to do with Brunell, and more to do with the uncertainty about Ramsey being the future. If the Redskins really thought he was done, they would have been looking for another veteran.

Jason

Pete Prisco

They are actually getting people into the routes, which they didn't do last year when Joe Gibbs tried to use his old max-protect schemes. That has made it easier to throw the football.

Might want to go back and review the film there Petie. Read some of the comments from the Broncos about how they are still using the "old max-protect schemes."

Here is the translation from Mediot into English so those that don't speak Mediot can get the full gist of his drivel.

Pete Prisco: "I will never admit I was wrong about the game passing Joe Gibbs by so I will say that he has changed his schemes from last year. I've actually only seen one Skins game this year and that was the Monday nighter where they didn't do much for 55 minutes. I'm also leaning heavily on my buddy Len Pastabelly who saw them for 20 minutes in a preseason scrimmage with half the team not playing. His insight is invaluable. Have you guys seen Eli??? I'm having a great time swinging from his junk!"

Coach Gibbs drafted Campbell b/c of uncertainty over Ramsey and b/c Mark IS going to eventually retire. Not b/c he had no faith in Brunell.

Coach Gibbs himself months ago said that the final chapter on Brunell hasn't been written yet. So far this season is proving him right. :)

It's just better to have a young QB in here to groom now than wait till the last minute. :)

And yes, the Redskins STILL use max-protect schemes (leaving 7 in to block and sending 3 out).

Its just they have MUCH better personell now. Also, the ones who were here last season are more comfortable in the system, and its obvious Coach Gibbs has his NFL legs back under him (you can see the difference from last year). :)

Archived