Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs play design is brilliant ( an example )

scskin

Okay, Zen Master, what would be the drawback to using Cooley as a fullback in short yardage situations? Is it his lack of speed? Seems to me that Cooley would be a beast running the ball in short yardage situations (short meaning anything one-yard and shorter).

Definition of Burst in football terms - Initial reaction once you get the ball. Power combined with quickness not speed.

Burst. Cooley doesnt have great burst. He has good reaction and is great in the open field, but in those short yardage situations you need burst.

Bettis has burst. Alexander has burst, Riggins had burst, Smith had burst.

Does that make sense to anyone else ?

The big play off the screen to Cooley where he has 2 linemen in front of him is equally impressive.

When I saw the title of this thread, this is actually the play I thought about first. Brilliantly designed play if you ask me. How many times do you see a TE\H-Back screen with the line pulling as the blockers? I was really impressed watching that play unfold from my seats in the upperdeck...........

When I saw the title of this thread, this is actually the play I thought about first. Brilliantly designed play if you ask me. How many times do you see a TE\H-Back screen with the line pulling as the blockers? I was really impressed watching that play unfold from my seats in the upperdeck...........

I had to watch the replay because I was giving the beer man my money. I looked up and heard the crowd screaming and saw Cooley running down the sidelines.

While Gibbs is a great football coach, max protect with the H-back/two TE sets isn't really new or original. He's added some wrinkles to modernize it a bit, but what we see today not a whole lot different conceptually than what he did in his first go round when it was really original.

Football is part innovation, but it's also cyclical b/c of the tendency to copy what's successful. It just shows that there are some fundamentals in football (blocking on the offensive side) that will hold true regardless of the era barring substantial rule changes in how the game is played.

Gibbs is the man, but I can't help to think that Musgrave has been an important addition. We are running plays like the fake screen to one side and coming back with a screen to the other, that doesn't seem Gibbsean.....

Good thread. Has anyone noticed that many teams are using more TE's this year? Gibbs had this pegged last year, remember that he had about 25 TE's/H-backs in camp? The trick is to have guys who can block, plus run routes, catch, and be smart. Then he can put three in the game and drive defenses crazy because they can't assume anything. Robert Royal can block and catch. Cooley is Cooley. And now he has converted Sellars to an H-back and TE. I loved it when we brought back Sellars because he used to deliver crushing blocks for S. Davis under Norval.

Also, how much do you guys love Cooley. His football IQ is off the charts. The play when he blocks for about a 4 count then realizes Brunnell hasn't found an open man down field so he lets his man go and releases, wide-open, into the flats for a big run after the catch was textbook.

Equally impressive is seeing Santana Moss come across the field to deliver a block after Cooley releases his block for that catch...one big reason Cooley got as many yards after the catch on that play is because Moss came over and gave up his body to help Cooley gain some extra yards, and this from a guy Jets fans called "Sideline Santana" cuz he was known for staying away from hits...lol :applause:

Archived