Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs play design is brilliant ( an example )

scskin

Being an ex coach and football junkie, I can break down film pretty quick. WALK with me. We are on the 19 yd line in a 3 TE set, Cooley and Moss split wide, Royal and Sellers on the line, CP in the backfield. Running formation right? If it is a pass who's the LAST option(Sellers).Moss explodes upfield getting attention from the RCB and the safety(pulling the S to the outside). Cooley does the same on the bottom. The play fake to CP holds the RILB and then CP does a curl, holding the RILB slightly. Sellers releases on the LILB and cuts between him and the occupied RILB. The safties have taken outside steps with Moss/Cooley, just enough so they can't get back in time. TOUCHDOWN!!!! Now go back and watch the highlight. ;)

Thanks for sharing with the class. One thing to point out though - you said you were 'old school,' and then you called someone 'dog.' I'm pretty sure that's not 'old school.'

:cheers:

I'm a teacher at an alternative school, and I grew up during the Hip Hop era, so sometimes my era's mix. I have a 79' Vega with a spoiler kit on it :laugh:

U can see it on the highlight film at skinsfanatic.com. I was looking at it earlier. Our offense is truely original, no one else is running the max protection, H-back 2 tightend sets. The thing thats so scary is that Santana is such a great route running reciever he can elude double teams to get open, and then our big nasties can catch when matched up against linebackers. Its a beautiful thing to watch big Mike Sellers cradle in a perfect Brunnell ball for a couple TDS. That play-action pass where we hit Sellers in the flats after he fakes the lead block for Portis is bread and butter inside the 5. Also, how much do you guys love Cooley. His football IQ is off the charts. The play when he blocks for about a 4 count then realizes Brunnell hasn't found an open man down field so he lets his man go and releases, wide-open, into the flats for a big run after the catch was textbook. The big play off the screen to Cooley where he has 2 linemen in front of him is equally impressive. Chris can get downfield in a hurry and he has quick feet and finishes every play by delivering a big shot on the defender. You can tell DBs do not look forward to tackling C.C...maybe my favorite Redskin at the moment, but there's so many great individual efforts out there its hard to pick one. The team is taking on Gibbs personality, tough, smart, hard-working, and that little extra fire that drives them to over achieve. :cheers:

Being an ex coach and football junkie, I can break down film pretty quick. WALK with me. We are on the 19 yd line in a 3 TE set, Cooley and Moss split wide, Royal and Sellers on the line, CP in the backfield. Running formation right? If it is a pass who's the LAST option(Sellers).Moss explodes upfield getting attention from the RCB and the safety(pulling the S to the outside). Cooley does the same on the bottom. The play fake to CP holds the RILB and then CP does a curl, holding the RILB slightly. Sellers releases on the LILB and cuts between him and the occupied RILB. The safties have taken outside steps with Moss/Cooley, just enough so they can't get back in time. TOUCHDOWN!!!! Now go back and watch the highlight. ;)

Absolutely correct. The other thing that opens up this play is that on the previous red zone possession, the CB on Moss thought he had deep help when Moss caught the wide open TD. Well, on this play, Brunell pumps to Moss, drawing the safety and opening up the seam.

It was beautiful watching it develop from Section 302.

This is the kind of innovation we thought we were getting when The Dan brought in the Ole Ball Coach. Thank goodness that experiment is over.

Coach Joe is cool like a 79 Vega with a spoiler:applause:

Okay, Zen Master, what would be the drawback to using Cooley as a fullback in short yardage situations? Is it his lack of speed? Seems to me that Cooley would be a beast running the ball in short yardage situations (short meaning anything one-yard and shorter).

I'm a teacher at an alternative school, and I grew up during the Hip Hop era, so sometimes my era's mix. I have a 79' Vega with a spoiler kit on it :laugh:

Good thread-starting post and that was a cool run-through. And I realized I'd been around a long time when I started seeing Vega's, Pinto's, and Gremilns being regarded as cool :laugh:

BTW, just in case you guys had not heard... The game has passed Joe Gibbs by, he can't scheme against today's defenses and he can't deal with getting players with the salary cap. Maybe we should not even play the rest of the season and just assume we will lose them all.

Ahhhh, now, how does one eat crow???

Gibbs even said that every year NFL innovation changes 20%. Joe just had to get up to speed and I think he has and, before you know it, other teams around the league will be copying the new max protect schemes that Coach Joe is employing.

I'm glad we have the personnel right now to execute the true mastermind's plans.

Man, thinking back on it, Spurrier just didn't have a clue.

BTW, just in case you guys had not heard... The game has passed Joe Gibbs by, he can't scheme against today's defenses and he can't deal with getting players with the salary cap. Maybe we should not even play the rest of the season and just assume we will lose them all.

Don't forget that Santana Moss is too small to be a primary receiver. We were obviously hasty and short-sighted to let Coles go to the Jets.

:doh:

There were plays run yesterday that I'd swear were done just to get inside upcoming opponents' heads. We sent out 4 receivers and ran the ball, 3 tight ends and passed. You wanna be the G-man defense studying this film and game-planning?

Good point.

Other than the ability to rest your starters during a blow-out, the other advantage has to be feeding a little disinformation to your future opponents, as well as tinkering with some things that you might want to eventually try.

We know that Gibbs is very secretive during the pre-season, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that he might have discontinued using/showing his playbook, and purposely showed some strange looks after the victory was secure.

The Sellars play was beautifully designed. ANd I like how Brunnell pointed out in the post-game that the coaches had seen something on film and drawn the play up special.

That's why the guy sleeps in his office at Redskins park. That's why he is a winner.

Now let's work up some magic for the gints!!!

Archived