Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strangest Encounter with a Celebrity

TheDoyler23

My only brush with anyone famous was before they were.

My band opened for the old band of POD's guitarist Jason Truby (Living Sacrifice). He was a nice guy especially when he found out that we had a case of Mountain Dew for them in the refrigerator. We were supposed to hang with them more but they didn't show up until after we played because their van broke down.

That's all I got. :(

Several years ago, they were filming a movie called Eddie at the Charlotte Coliseum. It was a cheesy movie about Whoopie Goldberg becoming coach of the New York Knicks. Well I was doing some double duty extra work working catering downstairs and also as an extra in the crowd.

Downstairs in the coliseum they had a bar and sofas set up for the NBA players to relax between takes. Included in this bar were several full size arcade games set up so you don't have to insert quarters. One game they had inside was some sort of fighting game that involved prehistoric creatures, the name slips my mind.

Well I snuck in some free time and was always on this game playing against NBA players. Vlade Divac, Cedric Ceballos, David Wingate(formerly of the Hornets, and most of all Nick Van Exel.

Nick played the game as much as I did and we were constantly going at it talking trash to each other. In the end, I schooled his rear end because I had more goof off time than he did to practice mastering the game.

Charlotte Coliseum story II for WWE fans.

Working catering for the Coliseum one time down in the commons area my wife came to visit me. What I found out was the reason she came to visit is she was all dreamy eyed over Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson when he was in his media prime with the WWE.

Sure enough he was down in the commons area several hours before the show. My wife is generally a shy person but I prompted her to go ahead and get his autograph. She took a pen and pad in her hand and walks up to meet and get the Rock's autograph. Well she was so dreamy eyed she shakes his hand and says something like "I love your work." with the pen and paper in hand..........and then walks away.

The Rock is standing there owned because he's reaching out for the pen and paper as my wife walks off back our way. I laughed and gave the Rock a hand gesture like don't worry about it. My wife was far too embarrassed to even stay in the building after the brief encounter and I don't let it go to this day.

Just let's keep it a secret since she doesn't like me telling the story and doesn't read extremeskins.

I worked at a Service Merchandise in Arlington Virginia the year Clinton got elected for his first term. We're about to close the store at 8 pm on Christmas Eve, when the manager comes down and said he just took a strange call. Said a man called and told him that Al Gore was on his way over to buy his wife a christmas present, and could we wait for him. The manager wasn't sure if it was a real deal, but we waited anyway. About 10 minutes after close, sure enough, Al and his body guard show up. The body guard was replete with long leather overcoat that you just knew conceled a couple Uzi's.

So, there he is shaking hands and it's my turn. Not being a bashful conservative I told him congratulations, though I didn't think the best man one. Then I had my picture taken with him. Always felt strange about that, but he was taking pictures with everyone, so I didn't want to be a complete ass. Half and ass was ass enough.

I've got one for you. When I was 15, 11 soap opera stars -- including "All My Children's" Susan Lucci -- visited Bolling Air Force Base for an autograph session. At the time, "All My Children" was THE soap and Susan Lucci was THE soap diva. Anyway, I was there, but I wanted to meet Deborah Mullowney, who, at the time, starred in the soap "Capitol." I had the biggest crush on her!

Well, after the stars addressed us and took questions for us, we were allowed to walk up to the stage and ask for autographs. Everyone rushed to see Susan Lucci. But, I went straight for Ms. Mullowney. At the time, I felt bad for her because people were walking past her to see Ms. Lucci. She was smiling politely, but I sensed she was disappointed that no one stopped to see her. When I called her by name, her expression changed immediately, as if she was soooooo happy to see a fan of hers. Because so many people went to see Lucci first, I had Ms. Mullowney practically to myself for a good 15 to 20 minutes. And she was really happy about that. She even kissed me! It was the coolest thing!

Archived