Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who'd a thunk? Surprises thus far...

dfbovey

Looking at the NFL stats, Santana Moss is the #1 WR in the NFL over the first 6 weeks of play. And has done it in 1 less game than his nearest competetor (Steve Smith has played in 6 games). I don't think any of us could have predicted that he would find such immediate success in this offense or to this level. He's really been a difference maker. Not sure that this team has EVER had a weapon like Moss.

Obviously, Mark Brunell is another surprise. Through 4.5 games he's thrown 9 TDs and only 2 INTs. He's also thrown over 300 yards twice in a row. Almost hit that Mark in Dallas as well. Who would have thought that heading into week 7 Mark Brunell would not only be our starter... but that he would also have a 91.5 rating?

On a down note, it would seem that offenses have figured out Gregg Williams defense to a degree. The blitzes haven't been nearly as effective as they were last year. I expected teams to catch on, but I didn't think it would be to the point where we've only had 5 sacks in as many games. I think that not addressing the pass rush along the front 4 has finally caught up with the team.

And of course Lavar's situation. Been talked about enough, but who would have thought that a healthy Lavar Arrington would see less than 5 snaps a game on the average?

Any more surprises that I neglected?

I didn't think he was getting THAT many, to be honest....lol

Another surprise??...That Portis would be looking so average.

Yeah, Portis has slightly improved over last year IMO, but really he's not quite the runner I thought he'd be. He needs to quit running into his own blockers and fallen defenders.

the most misleading stat being thrown around here is brunells passer rating...and his stat of 9tds to 2ints...it should read 9tds to 5turnovers...a fumble is as bad if not worse than an int...so lets not neglect that stat when we discuss brunell...as well as he's played...his passing numbers are a tad misleading...but still excellent...

Yeah, Portis has slightly improved over last year IMO, but really he's not quite the runner I thought he'd be. He needs to quit running into his own blockers and fallen defenders.

Ive been wondering about that, too...it's almost like his blockers are too slow for him or something, as often as he seems to run into (and sometimes leap over) his own blockers.

Ive been wondering about that, too...it's almost like his blockers are too slow for him or something, as often as he seems to run into (and sometimes leap over) his own blockers.

He's just not a very patient runner. I was watching Shaun Alexander run last night and there is a guy who is very patient. Allows things to develop in front of him and then shows burst and power when daylight opens up.

Well, in defense of Portis this week... he did play injured with a badly bruised shin. He also made more plays in the passing game. Sometimes it's the playcalling too, although they have tried to get him over to the outside a bit more the past few weeks. I think they need to do that a bit more.

Teams are also still stacking the line of scrimmage to take away Portis. I thought it would change a bit if we had some success in the passing game. I guess that's a bit surprising as well. As long as Brunell keeps performing at this high a level, I suppose I can take that trade off.

A combination of all of the above to make Portis appear to be an average RB rather than a potential home run hitter like Moss:

1. Portis was limping badly during the game.

2. Some of the holes opened between the tackles are very small and Defenses plug up the second level.

3. Portis runs into his own players an awful lot.

Whodathunk that our coaching staff would be bashed the way that they have been on ES for not playing 1 player. I say again 1 player. We do have 52 other players that know thier assignments and are willing to play as a team. :doh:

edit.. I love Lavar, but I love the Redskins more.

Who wouldn't expect people to question a move that benches a 3 time probowler?

Archived