Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Week Four Rankings

Henry

These rankings are skewed because we've already had our bye week. The defense is overstated and the offense is understated.

After this week, I am becoming a little more comfortable with our offense, although I would like to see some holes for Portis to open up. During the Seahawks game we made them pay for bringing the safety down time after time. Now that we have established that we can beat 8 in the box with the pass we should get more opportunities to improve the run game.

On D, well what hasn't been said already - we need to get to the passer and we need turnovers.

Hmm...Id like to see our pass defense step up a bit, I think were much better in that area than the stats say though. Of course Seattles huge td drives in the second half contributed to the jumps in stats on the defensive side but overall I am happy, especially with the offense standing at #14, much better than what #30? last year?

Our defense is better than #5 though.

Passing defense is a bit of a concern but with all the injuries to the secondary and the lack of a pass rush without blitzing I guess I can see it.

Scoring offense is a concern as well but I see that getting better. We have been close several times this year and come up empty or with FGs that should have been TDs. The trend here is generally up which I like and we not far from hanging 30+ on somebody...

After this week, I am becoming a little more comfortable with our offense, although I would like to see some holes for Portis to open up. During the Seahawks game we made them pay for bringing the safety down time after time. Now that we have established that we can beat 8 in the box with the pass we should get more opportunities to improve the run game.

Nicely said, I completey agree. Portis is a great back and he WILL get his chances. Teams have been stacking the box consistently believing that we couldn't pass. Now that we have shown them we can, I do believe it will make our offense as a whole that much more potent. It will keep defenses on their toes and wondering.

how do they calculate Defense b/c if you go by points allowed we are #2, right?

total defense is determined by Yards per game, whenever they say that so and so has the best defense in the league, it goes completely by Yards per game allowed by the defense. And since it is an average, it doesn't matter if we've had our bye week already.

They go by average per game. Since we only played three games and most other teams have played four our TOTAL points against may be #2, but PER GAME it's #5.

Actually, they have both sets of stats -- you can look at the season totals, or you can get them "per game" (which accounts for who's had bye weeks and who hasn't).

The original poster made a point of specifying that all stats quoted were "per game" stats.

I'm not too surprised about the pass defense right now. We had to feel our way a little bit with the loss of Smoot and weve had some early injuries in the secondary. Also, we jumped out on Seattle and they had to get away from the run for a while. I expect that to start coming up once Harris is back and healthy. I like that we are fifth in rushing, we just need to punch it in.

Archived