Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can this defense generate turnovers?

KevinthePRF

Rodgers forced one fumble that luckily for the Hawks headed straight for the sideline, but I wish this defense could find a way to generate some more turnovers.

Any ideas? It's just scaring me how at times our defense has looked a bit like a "bend but don't break" defense at times. Especially at key times yesterday late in the game.

Our Defense is in trouble. I think Seattle showed the NFL how to move the ball against us in the fourth quarter. A lot of slow developing plays that find recievers open short with room to run in front of them. Denver will kill us if we don't adjust.

I was using yesterday to see how the 'D' would play against an actual offense and I came away thinking the defense was a lil suspect. They had the opportunity to really show what they were made of and they allowed Seattle to go 91yds for a score. And it wasnt like there was one fluke long play, that was a solid professional drive. I'm going to lose my mind trying to figure out why the play so soft in the secondary. I really don't understand the large cushions they give. Especially when you aren't generating any pass rush. For all the different looks they supposedly give, they don't do anything spectacular, they don't disrupt the offense.

Need #56 for turnovers. Carlos forced a fumble, this is his first game as a starter. S. Taylor is nicked up . . . I think when you blitz so much, there's no chance to go for a pick, 'cause if you miss . . . so they just break it up or wrap up.

Turnovers will come. Seattle has a good QB and great RB. Yesterday was a test. They didn't quite pass with flying colors, but they did enough to win. They'll get better week by week, just like the O will . . .

Some of our hitting was not as crisp as it has been, only one FF and a couple of missed tackles which I hope and believe was the result of guys not being 100-percent. I thought LA would create some havoc but it seems the coaches disagree with me, so I guess I'm probably wrong.

Our Defense is in trouble. I think Seattle showed the NFL how to move the ball against us in the fourth quarter. A lot of slow developing plays that find recievers open short with room to run in front of them. Denver will kill us if we don't adjust.

Seattle's offense is a superior unit when compared to the Broncos' O. Bobby Engram burned us all day and Shaun Alexander is probably the best pure rusher in the league. Ashlie Lelie and Mike Anderson don't scare me. However it will be a tough game at Mile High, definately another close one, hopefully we can get some pressure on Plummer and the secondary will step it up a notch.

Coach Williams's Defense has never been that big on turnovers:

In 2003, the Bills had 18 turnovers (10 INT, 8 FUM), last in the league. Yet, their overall ranking that year was 2nd, behind the Dallas Cowboys.

In 2004, the Redskins had 26 turnovers (18 INT, 8 FUM) 22nd in the league. The overall defense ranked 3rd.

Thus far in 2005, it's 2 turnovers (1 INT, 1 FUM), 28th in the league. And the overall Defense is ranked 5th.

Turnovers often occur when players take chances. Unfortunately, those chances can also result in opposing teams TDs. This defense isn't about taking those chances. It's about getting the Defense off the field as quickly as possible.

I don't think any one can complain about the results.

But Gregg Williams WANTS more turnovers. The first drill he runs in training camp is returning INTs. He has been quoted saying that while they have a good D, to be remembered they have to create turnovers. That the great defenses that are remembered today are held in that regard because of the turnovers they force.

LaVar Arrington is AN answer to our inability to create turnovers. Another playmaker on this defense will put us over the top. Forced fumbles, sacks and INTs are sitting on the bench. Talk about missed assignments if you want, but as a pass rushing DE, how much responsibility is there on obvious passing situations?

Archived