Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ahem: The running game?

I don't know about you guys, but, I've seen Portis grind out every possible yard the last two games and even create yards where there were none. Teams still are able to overstack the box. Until we are more consistently able to hit those long plays we won't keep teams as honest. I think our running game was great today helping us control the game. It wasn't at all explosive though.

I'm with the Hall of Fame Coach, here.

Portis didn't have an opening all day, because the Hawks were pretty much stacking their entire team on the LOS and either waiting for Portis or rushing the passer. This pretty much ment that the only way we were going to move the ball was with quick passes. They committed their D to stopping Portis (and denying Brunnel time), and forced Brunell to play the accuracy game.

We had to keep threatening with Portis, to keep them from changing defenses. In effect, Coach told them that is they ever stop stacking the line against Portis, then we're going to run right over them. Therefore, Portis' carries were necessary, even if they didn't produce much yardage.

(One other side effect of this was that, every time Portis' number was called in the huddle, he knew he was going to get greeted at the LOS by about 8 guys. Portis deserves props for doing the tough job that needed to be done, even though it didn't make him, personally, look great. But his runs set up those short and wide, quick passes.)

Remember Clinton Portis and the redskins Offensive line switched to a new running style that will fit portis a bit better. So it will take time to adjust back. You cant just be a speed running back your whole life then in 1 summer switch to a power back in the Pro Level, like its not like eating on your left side of your mouth instead of your right side. It takes time and he seems to be adjusting really well. Besides, if I remember correctly, He broke a few tackles and gained alot of yards after them. Last Year he would of got tackled for a 4 yard gain but becuase he did that it was a 12 or 15 yard gain instead.

Key: Give him time to ADJUST!

We controlled the clock--that is one of the keys to Gibbs football, and the run game is a big part of that. He'll often run into heavy fronts just to keep the clock moving, IMO.

But I agree with Bobzmuda's points--we need better disguise in our formations, and more time to audible. And we definetely should try more pitch plays to the outside--we ran only ONE pitch, if I recall. And I would like to see Portis try to cut back more as well--I think he's staying in the offense well, but sometimes, a playa's gotta play.

Finally, I completely agree with trying to play action on first down some! That play is sitting there a lot, I think. There were very few play action passes, especialy on first.

But don't get me wrong--this is fully meant as constructive criticism. They ran for a lot of yards, moved the chains, and most importantly, kept Seattle's high-quality O off the field for much of the game (and you can see what happens when they get some rhytm!). So this is about getting better than we are now, not a complaint becuase we suck or Portis has to go (are you F***ING kidding???). My guess is that Gibbs is thinking about this right now--the guy does not rest, and he I am absolutely sure he is not satisfied, even though we are 3-0.

I love the pwoer run game but less than 4 YPC isnt gonna cut it.

We need to

1- get better push at the line,too many times I saw seattle guys who are far smaller than our guys playing on our side of the line of scrimmage.

2-get better movement, note to our FB and pulling guards DONT TURN AROUND IF YOU GET UPFIELD JUST BLOCK ANYBODY!!!!!

3-USE MORE "SPACE PLAYS" get Portis the ball on stretchs and tosses with some counters thrown in instead of dives all the time. that counter tre worked well but we cant overuse it.

4-use a little more zone blocking we have big strong guys who arent particularly fast so why do we try to pull so much?

5-spread out the formation, this will get Portis a little more room to run and he does better in space.(fpor those who dont think that this can be done in gibbs system get out the tapes from 91 when he used a lot of 3 wide with 1 te and 1 RB. its like suddenly Joe just wants to use his jumbo pack form the old days.

I agree, i think this would improve the run game. In the 2nd half and especially OT we'd have 1 WR on the field...you could read run all the way. You'd see that safety creep up in the box. We need to run more draws and runs out out 3 and 4 wideout sets.

Great, satisfying win though. 3-0.

Betts had 12 carries for 35 yards...that's 2.9 ypc. Portis had 25 carries for 90 yards...that's 3.6 ypc. I wouldn't be exactly benching Portis just yet.

:cheers:

I can't believe the how in love some people are with Betts. Portis should get every possible carry he can. Betts is not in his league.

Archived