Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We're not there yet. But, we're getting there.

Art

Besides Moss, who is making the great catch. Any QB is not going to make a great throw every time he goes down field. The receiver has to sometimes come up big. Patten had a chance on the long pass in the second half. Brunell didn't air it out enough and the DB made a nice play. The WR has got to make a great catch to keep the chains moving. I am not saying that the receivers today didn't catch almost everything they should have, but you have to catch the balls your not expected to catch. The receivers need to make the catch that makes the QB look good after an average to poor throw.

That is true. I think the lack of height is the main culprit. Seattle's D did make some great plays, but it was because they got up over our recievers. When height and positioning are equal, the defender always has the advantage because all he has to do is knock it away. The fact is we just don't have anyone with the height to go up and get the ball in traffic.

Yes, but can't you argue that if Brunell is on target on those deep balls that the passing offense is multi-faceted and complete? I mean, he was hitting intermediate balls like nobodies' business. The INT was a fluke, even though it was a bad pass.

Remember, in the early season, teams really do rely on the previous season as much as they do on the last game. It's later in the season that teams start adjusting to what is happening in that year.

What I'm saying is that hitting or not hitting these passes(the deep ones) is not going to make the difference. We just need to keep hitting those intermediate ones.

I was proud to see Mark pocket passing today, stepping up(and the announcer harped on it too.) So long as that keeps happening, teams will loosen up. But the deep ball is too much of an infrequent threat, I think, to get teams to not stack the box.

All great points......I do think however that one (I'm not going to make the blanket statement ALL) of the main reasons why teams put 8-9 in the box is our formations. I was watching the game seeing sets with one wide out, and everyone else on the line. You don't have to be that smart to figure out what we are doing......and this wasn't the case right at the end of the game.......this was the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs.

What I don't like is how many third downs we are facing. We were pretty good at picking them out, but we faced 18 third downs, and half of our first down conversions came on third down. That's not exactly a mark of a good offense. Especially at the end of the game, we were doing nothing for the first two downs, and Brunell had to make a big pass to continue the drive.

Right now, there is almost no margin for error for our O. They almost have to execute perfectly for us to win.

Jason

Skins have had the benefit of two Super Bowl-pedigree coaches go into shells at crucial times. Parcells playing for the field goal at 10-0 two weeks ago, not even trying for the end zone that would've led to the clinching score. Holmgren today......yes, he showed guts in going for it in his own territory with six minutes left, but then, after the Brunell/Portis INT, played like a close-to-50 yard field goal is a gimme. Not sound judgment.

But enough of that. This was a solid game by the Skins. Brunell was a stud, and the playcalling was good.......kudos to Gibbs abd Brubell, who have been maligned recently. There'll be days when the ball doesn't bounce our way, but this crew seems ready for the dogfight that is going to be the NFC East this year.

Ghost, I think that part of what you are seeing is coming from predictable playcalling. You saw brunell complete several passes on third down of exactly the intermediate variety that you want. So why are we still having trouble? Because teams know gibbs won't trust his team to pass continuously. We pick up a first down then run. More often than not we then run again. Predictable playcalling is helping to stop the run together with what I think is a difficulty that we are having passing the ball on first and second downs. Until we get success passing on first and second downs on intermediate or deep routes we won't see anything.

But I think you are right. Plenty of teams running the WCO (seattle and tampa come to mind) are able to run the ball b ecause of success on the intermediate passing routes. Neither of these teams are afraid of passing on 1st and 10. We kind of are.

AJ, What didn't Brunell do today to show he can make the throws. He looked pretty sharp to me. I'm a big PR fan, and I don't think Gibbs is done with him. Gibbs mishandled Stan Humphries by dumping him instead of working with him. He's openly stated that was a mistake. Just because JG doesn't think PR is ready now, doesn't mean he's done with him. But JG is going to start the QB he thinks is going to give the team the best chance to win now. It's hard to argue that PR is that guy.

Ghost, I think that part of what you are seeing is coming from predictable playcalling. You saw brunell complete several passes on third down of exactly the intermediate variety that you want. So why are we still having trouble? Because teams know gibbs won't trust his team to pass continuously. We pick up a first down then run. More often than not we then run again. Predictable playcalling is helping to stop the run together with what I think is a difficulty that we are having passing the ball on first and second downs. Until we get success passing on first and second downs on intermediate or deep routes we won't see anything.

But I think you are right. Plenty of teams running the WCO (seattle and tampa come to mind) are able to run the ball b ecause of success on the intermediate passing routes. Neither of these teams are afraid of passing on 1st and 10. We kind of are.

Ghost would be right if he said what you're indicating he did. He didn't say teams teams without a deep passing game run effectively. He said, "But there are plenty of teams that RARELY THROW deep in the NFL that somehow manage to run the ball with 8-9 in the box." That is a false statement as it is highly rare for teams to run well with the box stacked against the run. This should be a simple truth we all share. Not sure why we're trying to say otherwise, then find others agreeing with it by stating the original statement differently than was mentioned.

Archived