Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNNSI: Early Evaluation

Neophyte

Early evaluation

What we've learned two weeks into the NFL season

By: Bill Syken

Posted: Thursday September 22, 2005 3:59PM; Updated: Thursday September 22, 2005 3:59PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/bill_syken/09/22/scorecard.daily/index.html

Ten ups and 10 downs from the NFL season so far:

Ups

1. Panthers beat the Patriots. Because in the era of the Belichick machine, it's nice to think other teams have a chance.

2. Giants' run defense. Plus they have Shockey, Tiki and Plaxico. Is Tom Coughlin actually building a usurper to the Eagles' NFC East dominance? You heard it here first: Giants will play in Super Bowl XLI.

3. The Colts. Two weeks is too small a sample size, but I feel like it's their year.

4. The Steelers. Or their year.

5. Cadillac Williams. Rookie of the opening stanza. If Chicago has this guy, they're a lock for the NFC North.

6. Panthers cornerback Ken Lucas. Free-agent pickup of the opening stanza.

7. Joe Gibbs. For being smart enough to celebrate while he has the chance. The Redskins are 2-0, but I'll go on record right now: if this team wins more than 7 games, I'll eat a McDonald's value meal.

8. Buffalo Bills. Love the throwback uniforms. Good luck with that Losman kid.

9. Nick Saban. Last week, looking forward to the Jets game, Saban remarked something to the effect of "the Jets aren't as bad as they played last week, and we're not that good." Get the guy a 1-900 line.

10 Eagles rookie DT Mike Patterson. Looks like they won't miss Corey Simon too much.

Downs

1. Vikings without Randy Moss. Equals Lakers without Shaq. Lesson: teams that wear purple and gold uniforms should never trade its superstars. And the Lakers used to play in Minneapolis. Coincidence or conspiracy?

2. Oakland Raiders. Raiders + Moss, however, does not equal Heat + Shaq.

3. Cincinnati Bengals. Who cares if they're 2-0? Those uniforms are awful. Use one of those sideline telephones to call Vera Wang. It's an emergency.

4. Donovan McNabb and Terrell Owens. Nice feud. I'm starting to suspect the football media made too much out of the offseason ranting's of a temperamental egomaniac.

5. Jake Delhomme. Two games, one TD, three INTs, and a good reason to doubt the Panthers can fulfill their Super Bowl aspirations. The way Delhomme looked the last couple weeks, it's hard to imagine him facing three or four playoff defenses in a row and not giving a game away.

6. NFC North. Or as they call it in baseball, the NL West. Don't know who will win the division, but their record will be 7-9.

7. Cardinals rookie running back J.J. Arrington. Apparently Jeff Tedford's quarterbacks aren't the only ones who struggle in the NFL.

8. The ESPN Sunday Night Football crew interviewing former President George Bush during the Saints-Giants game. No one expects Joe Theisman or Mike Patrick to be Tim Russert, but you would think television professionals would sound less flummoxed while conducting a softball interview about hurricane relief

9. 49ers-Cowboys. This matchup was a lot sexier last decade.

10. My survivor pool picks. Not that I'm actually in a survivor pool, but had I been, I would have been knocked out in week one, after Minnesota-Tampa Bay. Had it been a double-elimination pool, I would have been done after week two, with Cowboys-Redskins. Let's go for three. I like Indianapolis against Cleveland.

Another fine post from Dr. Z? Or was this one written by Peter King?

Sorry, my bad, I somehow forgot to put a by-line in. This was written by Bill Syken so it is not one of the usual Skin hating suspects.

I will edit the original to correct this oversight. Everyone needs to know who to send their McCoupon to... ;)

Unfortunately, I think he's right with the 7 win comment.....I hope he's wrong, but nothing to show me we can win on offense yet. (The Dallas game was won on defense)

Gotya have faith its comming together. We've made progress since last season, it hasnt resulted in any kind of dominance yet, but the Skins O is makin steady progress :logo:

Gotya have faith its comming together. We've made progress since last season, it hasnt resulted in any kind of dominance yet, but the Skins O is makin steady progress :logo:

I've got to see it Bro...I need to see some points early so the D doesn't feel like they are the only ones playing football.

Why is it that other teams who have been mired in a dry spell don't take the flack that we do? The Giants are 12-22 since the start of the 2003 season, we're 13-21. Not much difference I'll grant you, but there is a HUGE difference in the overwhelming amount of negativity written about the Redskins and the relatively little amount of negative Giants press.

To top it all off, he picks the Giants to go to next season's Super Bowl? Tom Coughlin and the Giants? Hardly.

6. NFC North. Or as they call it in baseball, the NL West. Don't know who will win the division, but their record will be 7-9.

He's dead-on there. I live in Minnesota, and I've been saying that all week. Of course, nobody wants to believe it, but I can guarantee you this will be the year that a 7-9 team goes to the playoffs.

It'll be like the NFL's version of a BCS scandal.

Why is it that other teams who have been mired in a dry spell don't take the flack that we do? The Giants are 12-22 since the start of the 2003 season, we're 13-21. Not much difference I'll grant you, but there is a HUGE difference in the overwhelming amount of negativity written about the Redskins and the relatively little amount of negative Giants press.

To top it all off, he picks the Giants to go to next season's Super Bowl? Tom Coughlin and the Giants? Hardly.

many writers are from or live in NY

Archived