Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Upset is Brewing

Arsenic

The Washington area is in an uproar. This week has been, arguably, one of the most emotional weeks that has taken place in this region since—well, since Joe Gibbs initially announced his return to the Washington Redskins in 2004. After pulling incumbent starting quarterback Patrick Ramsey out of the lineup—in favor of veteran holdover Mark Brunell, following a 9-7 victory against a subpar Chicago Bears team---in which the team had 0 touchdowns and 3 turnovers---once again, Joe Gibbs and the Washington Redskins find themselves in the midst of scrutiny.

The Redskins come into Texas Stadium on Monday night, in a matchup against the rival Dallas Cowboys, with their backs against the wall—having lost 14 of the last 15 games since 1997, and the last time they won in Texas was in 1995.

Dallas is coming off of an impressive victory on the road, against the 2004 AFC West Champion San Diego Chargers—who were 12-4 last year, and Dallas fans are making a case for their team to make the playoffs this year.

Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin will be enshrined in the Cowboy's Ring of Honor during halftime of Monday night's game. Is it a coincidence that Jerry Jones scheduled this event when the Cowboys are playing the Redskins on national television? I think not.

The local media is in frenzy (as they have been throughout the entire off-season), putting a negative spin on anything within their grasp. NFL experts around the country have the Cowboys blowing away the Redskins, and even former Redskins players (such as quarterback Joe Theismann) think that the Cowboys will win.

Redskins fans have been divided over the decision by Gibbs to start Brunell this Monday against the Cowboys. Some want Ramsey to get a longer evaluation, and some people like the idea of giving Brunell another shot; others wouldn’t care if Rock Cartwright was behind center, just as long as someone established themselves as the prominent qaurterback of this football team.

Through all of the turmoil, and through all of the debate amongst fellow skins’ fans, one thing stays constant; there is one thing that all of the Redskin maniacs will agree upon, whether you are from Washington DC, or if you are from Indonesia, for that matter—beat those stinkin’ Dallas Cowboys.

Does anyone remember last year’s road game? It was one of the last things we had to look forward to towards the end of last season—besides the fact that we were mathematically alive for the playoffs, but not too many people concentrated on that—I think we needed something like 18 different teams to lose, and we had to win all of our games and.... anyway, most of us were still looking forward to the Cowboys.

I remember watching our defense dominate the majority of the game, sitting somewhat comfortably on a 10-7 lead, as they stopped almost everything the Cowboys had to propose on offense. Anyone remember that? The Cowboys had one fourth down play left—At this point, I had figured that we had already seen the worst of what the 2004 season had to bring, and if karma had anything to do with it, we would most certainly pull this one out; there was only 30 seconds left on the clock, and we had one of the toughest defenses in the league.

Nevertheless, something out of the ordinary happens. On a 4th and 10 play with 30 seconds left on the clock, Vinny Testaverde throws a 39-yard touchdown pass to a wide open Patrick Crayton to win the game. ”That was a miracle play," Dallas Coach Bill Parcells said. I have to admit, I don’t know about anyone else, but that was one of the single most disappointing losses I have been through in a long time.

The players don’t forget that loss either “We had them beat last year, and we let it get away in the end," tackle Chris Samuels said. "It's never over until it's over, especially against them, and we've got to remember that and play as hard as we can and go out there and win this one. That was a tough loss, man. It took awhile to get over that."

Do you remember what the odds were the last time we won at Texas Stadium? The Cowboys were 10-3, and they were favored to win it all---they were to dominate everything in their path; there was absolutely no way they would lose to the Redskins. On paper the match up favored the Cowboys—they, most certainly, would beat the hapless Redskins into oblivion, and they would lock up a spot in the playoffs. Well, it didn’t happen quite like that. The Cowboys came in and got rocked by those “lowly” 4-9 Redskins, losing the game 24-17.

No sane person on the planet thinks that the Redskins have a chance in hell at winning this game on monday night—but, I know Joe Gibbs does. He’s just as big of a fan as any one of us is. Why would he make a quarterback change this early in the season and not wait until the bye week? Blind faith to his golden boy Mark Brunell—do you really think he made the change at QB so we would lose this game? I think not. Joe Gibbs wants to beat these ugly ****s, and ruin their homecoming; JOE GIBBS WANTS REVENGE.

My fellow Redskins bretheren, I want this win bad, and I know every one of you want this win just as bad as I do, and just as bad as Joe does. This team needs this victory. This team needs to get this monkey off its back.

And I think we can win it.

I smell an upset in the making.

A win would get the monkey off our back for a while, and serve to bring the pokes back down to earth. Depending on how we win, it could send our confidence off the charts, and be a spring-board to a playoff year. I know not many people are saying it, but we're all thinking it. This game makes all the difference. We need this win!

:dallasuck

I wouldn't call beating Dallas an "Upset". These two teams have been on similar paths the last 5 or so years. An upset is a clearly lower talented team beating a clearly better team. Thats not the case.

So, you're telling me, that if we won on Monday night at Texas Statium—a place where we havn't won since 1995, in a game where we are 6 point underdogs, in a series that we have lost 14 of the last 15 since 1997—it wouldn't be an upset?

I realize we have alot of talented players on this football team, however, I still think it would be a huge upset.

def would be an upset. everyone and their moms thinks dallas is going to walk all over us. im tellin you its not going to happen. everytime us skins fan are positive that we can beat dallas we lose, maybe this is the time we turn things around when its unexpected..

So, you're telling me, that if we won on Monday night at Texas Statium—a place where we havn't won since 1995, in a game where we are 6 point underdogs, in a series that we have lost 14 of the last 15 since 1997—it wouldn't be an upset?

I realize we have alot of talented players on this football team, however, I still think it would be a huge upset.

The Texans beating the Steelers in conviencing fashion is an upset. Two teams of simular strenght is not. The only upset on Monday Night would be if the Ratings for Giants Saints beats MNF

The Texans beating the Steelers in conviencing fashion is an upset. Two teams of simular strenght is not. The only upset on Monday Night would be if the Ratings for Giants Saints beats MNF

Who determines the strength of a team? If all the "experts" say the skins have no chance, wouldnt that stand to suggest that the "experts" agree the Cowboys are better? Plus, we havent beat Dallas more than once in the last 16 meetings. Plus its in Texas. Even if the Skins arent major underdogs here, if they won it would be an upset as far as most of the "Experts" are concerned.

Get real, beating the cowboys tomorrow night is GIGANTIC!!!!!!! nothing less. We have two goals- Make the playoffs and skin the cowboys. we as fans cannot be the 12th at he stadium tomorrow. But we can be the 12th man by visualizing a redskin win form the comfort of our homes. Imaging works in sales and it works in sports. Just do it man. WE BEAT THE COWBOYS.

Its not an upset to us fans, but to the media it'd be an upset. I think the Cowboys are favorites by 6, which is one of the bigger margins of victory I saw in the line... The Skins D will show up, the wild cards is the offense. Will this be a breakout game for them? I certainly hope so...

yes it would be a big upset. considering gibbs never fares well against parcells,skins dont fare well against cowboys.skins have backup q.b. starting. skins are not figured to do much this year and skins do not know how to prepare against the boys as they have not faced this team. i also think the dallas defense will punish brunell. do you have a backup? still yet parcells keeps games close. and the skins will be in it till the end, and will be banged up for a few weeks afterwards starting their spiraling season.

Let me be the first to say, the 14 of 15 plays no role in this game. Parcells has been here for 2 years prior to this one. Gibbs for 1. Gibbs is 0-2, Parcells is 4-0 against you, in their current tenures. I think both Coaches are good enough to get their teams off it. Gibbs may use it as motivation, but overall, I think both coaches are treating this like any other game.

The reason a Washington win is an upset would have to be because of, yes the history, and the fact that we've had a higher rated draft and FA period. To me, we're both coming of a 6-10 season, both have something to prove this year. It's going to be a good game.

Dallas comes in with what appears to be a good offense, and a solid defense. The defense looks to have found a way to pressure the QB. SD has a pretty good offensive line, and Dallas was able to get pretty consistant pressure on Drew Brees. The reason I see Dallas as a favorite, in addition to playing at home, is because of the offense. Washington, so far, has shown no improvement to an offense that struggled to find it's stroke last year. Dallas put up 28 in the opener, and Bledsoe looked good.

The fact that Chicago put up so many points today makes me think a bit more of your defense, which I already regarded highly. However, the lack of offense still has me thinking Dallas will eak this one out. Our defense doesn't get enough credit. Henry and Newman are good CB's, and Williams will be allowed to play closer to the LOS.

Dallas 17 - Washington 13

Archived