Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 Draft Busts Ever

DraftNik

Well, Sportscenter just had a segment on the 10 worst draft busts in NFL history.

Rated #2 EVER... Heath Shuler.

Not really surprisingly, he rated 2nd only to Ryan Leaf.

Who would you guys say is the worst draft bust ever? How about top 5 in Skins history?

I'd have to agree with Ryan Leaf as the worst draft bust ever. I may be too young to remember, but was Heath Shuler as divisive and poisonous to the team as Leaf was? Leaf would pick fights with teammates and fans and explode at coaches regularly. They showed some crazy violent footage of him today.

Leaf, Mandarich, Shuler, in that order.

I put Mandarich ahead of Shuler, because he was supposedly supposed to be one of the greatest O-line prospects ever. Yeah right. Shuler was considered a top 5 prospect, no doubt, but he wasn't being hailed as an all-time great before he was even drafted.

Even though the jury is still out on Ki-Jana's comeback, I'd have to put him up there too. He's been a monumental bust, so far at least.

Andre Johnson really doesn't merit mention, he was the last player taken in the first round.

Going back a ways, the Skins had a few busts in the late '60's. In '66 they took kicker Charlie Gogolak, one of the first soccer-style kickers, who had one decent year before falling to chronic injuries.

The next year, they took fullback Ray McDonald 13th overall. Lombardi cut him two unproductive years later after McDonald was late for a meeting. The worst part about that was that Gene Upshaw and Alan Page were taken in the next half dozen picks after that.

In '68 they got unlucky. Their first rounder defensive back Jim "Yazoo" Smith was in the last game of a promising rookie year when he was kicked in the neck by a teammate when on the ground in the season finale. That injury put him in a wheelchair.

They wasted their 1969 first-rounder, which turned out to be #10 overall, to the Rams for the rights to Heisman winning QB Gary Beban, who had just been drafted in the second round. In two seasons Beban's only pass attempt was incomplete.

Any wonder George Allen felt he had to tear things up and start over when he came in '71?

I think Mandrich was the biggest bust ever. His final year in school he made the all Madden team and there were a lot of comments like "He is better than Anthony Munoze(sp) right now!". When a sure thing misses, I see that as a huge bust.

The QB position is always difficult to judge. In the past 20 years or so there have only been 3 "sure things" (Elway, Aikman, and Manning) at that position. They all did well.

If we are to discount Andre Collins because he was the last pick in the first round are we to do the same if Ramsey turns out to suck?

Emtman when he was healthy had stellar moment but he was a victim of the turf while Trev Alberts was predicted by Mel to suck and stated they should have picked Dilfer.

Archived