Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here We Go Again

craig19406

After watching Gibbs in the post game press conference it seems obvious to me that he is going to go with Brunell. Brunell did a good job filling in but 8-14 for 70 yards doesn't impress me. Even with the interception, I thought Patrick's performance was better than Brunell's. He made some great clutch throws and some big plays. His performance does not warrant the loss of his job due to injury. Gibbs gave Brunell 9 games last year (which cost us the seaon in my opinion); Ramsey deserves more than 2 quarters.

What are your thoughts? Am I over-reacting to this junk?

Gibbs would probably disagree that Ramsey's performance was better. This is what Gibbs sees:

Ramsey: 1 TD (nullified), 2 TOs

Brunell: 3 FGs, 0 TOs

I think he likes the steadier lines....

I know we can make excuses for Ramsey (like the fumble on the WWF play). But facts are facts and he's shown more of a tendency to give the ball away...

Well from watching Gibbs Press Conference, Joe pretty much said the same thing that he said last year when Brunell got hurt. He said that it really depends on how Ramsey's feeling. I think Ramsey will be starting next week. In-fact, isn't there a Joe Gibbs chat coming up tomorrow? Someone should ask the question, since everyone is so antsy about it.

After watching Gibbs in the post game press conference it seems obvious to me that he is going to go with Brunell. Brunell did a good job filling in but 8-14 for 70 yards doesn't impress me. Even with the interception, I thought Patrick's performance was better than Brunell's. He made some great clutch throws and some big plays. His performance does not warrant the loss of his job due to injury. Gibbs gave Brunell 9 games last year (which cost us the seaon in my opinion); Ramsey deserves more than 2 quarters.

You are not over-reacting at all. If Gibbs replaces Ramsey like this

I'll lose a lot of respect for him. Yes..I said it! Bash me all you want! :mad:

People are reading too much into Gibbs comments. It's all up to PR being healthy. If he's healthy he'll start.

It has absolutely nothing to do with performance.

Reading too much into Gibbs comments? When those comments are Mark Brunell doesn't make mistakes, Mark Brunell plays mistake-free football, etc. combined with what Gibbs has been saying earlier about turnovers, it's pretty clear that he's thinking very hard about going with Brunell.

Reading too much into Gibbs comments? When those comments are Mark Brunell doesn't make mistakes, Mark Brunell plays mistake-free football, etc. combined with what Gibbs has been saying earlier about turnovers, it's pretty clear that he's thinking very hard about going with Brunell.

Show me a comment that says Brunell is starting next week.

All I've seen is Gibbs not entirely sold on Patrick's health and thus keeping him out of the game. He now wants to make sure he's healthy (get a look at him in practice this week) before giving him the okay to start.

It makes perfect sense, say all offseason and preseason that Patrick is the starter and then because of two turnovers (one of which occurred on a cheap shot should have been a penalty hit) you bench him? :doh:

Brunell, for all his "non-mistakes" also was back to his "non-playmaking" ways too. We will not win too many games if Patrick throws ints or fumbles the ball, I agree with that and he needs to cut it out.....BUT.....we also will not win too many games if we continue to get 8-14 70 yards 0 TD from our starting quarterback.

I think Ramsey will start if he's healthy. I think Gibbs understands he didn't need Ramsey in there to beat the Bears, and once the Bears took the lead, the Skins marched down the field to score to take the lead back. Gibbs seems ultraconservative in the aerial attack with Brunell in, not because of Brunell's weak arm, but timing. He'd not had much, if any, practice with these receivers. That's why you play it conservative, dink and dunk. Why risk it when you've got one of the top defenses in the league? The Skins could have scored more, if pressed. Gibbs held back.. maybe he wanted to do enough to beat a rookie lead team, rather then busting out his entire playbook for Parcells to see? At least that's what I'm telling myself...

My take is this. When Ramsey went out, so did the long ball threat. Don't get me wrong. I think that Brunell manages the game better and is accutely aware of the down situation, and he does throw a good out pattern and manages the short stuff real good. But it seemed that the Safeties and CBs get in a little closer to the receivers when Brunell is in there...perhaps they don't repsect his arm? Brunell is very good on the rollout though.

Basically, this is technically Patrick's year ~2.0-2.5 if you count starts, so it takes time to adjust and get the knack for managing a game. He also has had to suffer the change at HC, but more importantly a change from the criminal beating he took under Spurrier's reign. If Ramsey start's to trust his protection, then perhaps he'll get better. Perhaps not. But he is one tough son-of-a-gun, I'll say that. Whether here or somewhere else, he'll be an above average QB in time. I really think that. Can't blame the fumble on the clothesline hit he took...and remember, he had thrown a TD to Cooley before that play...called back however.

FS

start Jason, I think he is the best QB on the team.

The backup is ALWAYS the best QB on the team when your name isn't Brady or Manning!

Ramsey will start, Gibbs is a man of his word, he is the starter and anyone who knows anything knows that Ramsey didn't play bad enough to loose the starting position. He was going to lead us to at least 3 TD's if he didn't get yoked. He was on his way with the cooley play ... don't forget that.

Hmm, who should the boyz game plan for, PR or MB?

Does it really matter? I think Dallas will start with a 3-4 defense with LOTS of blitzes. With MB, they'll play closer to the receivers and give up a tad more on the deep throws. With Ramsey, they'll repsect his arm, but blitz more. Since they've seen em both last year, it really isn't going to matter. It's all up to the 'Skins and their attitude...we'll know in the first 8+ minutes of the 1st quarter what kind of night the game will bring...

FS

Archived