Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rational positional analysis, anyone?

Ancalagon the Black

I didn't get to watch the game, and I probably never win. I've been trying to get a good sense of it by reading reports and looking at threads here, but I haven't been able to see much beyond QB play (and some comments about Brown's fumble, the refs, and our defense).

Is there anyone willing to offer an analysis of how the rest of the team played? Here are some specific questions.

O-line and fullbacks: Opening holes? Pass protection? Coordinated pulling/trapping/screens? Did Nemo play? Did Rock?

Receivers: How did they do in getting open? Blocking for teammates, especially on running plays?

RBs: Why was Portis relatively poor in the first half and good in the second? Did Betts play?

D-line: Pressure on QB? Run-stuffing?

Linebackers & d-backs: Did Arrington have an impact? Did Rogers play? How did Springs look? Taylor? Marshall at MLB?

Special teams: Punt coverage? Kick coverage? Returns?

Thanks in advance.

O-line looked like it played well overall.

Nemo did not play. Rock played teams and made a few plays.

Receivers looked open and fast. Moss is slipperier than a lubed up eel. Can't comment on blocking, as I was too busy stressing out to focus on that.

Portis played better in the second half for sure. I'm not positive that it was directly related to a change in scheme, or the Bears' D tiring, or the line blocking better. I'm pretty certain it was a combination of all.

D-line did not pressure the QB without a blitz. Daniels had a few hurries. Run defense was excellent, as usual; I think they averaged less than 3 yards per carry.

Linebackers were all over the place, including Washington, Marshall, Holdman, and LaVar, in that order. Rogers played little, if I'm not mistaken. Springs looked solid as usual. Taylor was a monster, as usual. Marshall's performance at MLB certainly gives us hope for the season that we'll be able to replace Pierce.

Special Teams was solid on coverage, weak on returns. We should cut Antonio Brown.

No problem in advance. :) I was so focused on the game that I probably butchered the details, and I'm sure there are others here who can add or correct.

Special Teams - punt and kick coverage were very good. Punt returns were awful. Antonio Brown fumbled the ball once but he never had a chance on most of the punts because the Bears were in his face as soon as he got the ball. One punt was 59 yards and he was tackled as soon as he caught it.

Offensive Line -

Run Blocking - Mixed results. Trap blocking and zone blocking were very effective. But, in short yardage the Bears defensive line on several occassions was able to push the line of scrimmage back two yards. Skins had difficulty running between the tackles in the early part of the game. But, overall it looked much better than last year.

Pass blocking - Brunnel was able to beat some blitzes both because of his own action and the pass protection. Jansen got beat on the blitz that took Ramsey's head off. I don't recall seeing any pressure up the middle though (vast improvement over last year OC play).

I didn't get to watch the game, and I probably never win. I've been trying to get a good sense of it by reading reports and looking at threads here, but I haven't been able to see much beyond QB play (and some comments about Brown's fumble, the refs, and our defense).

Is there anyone willing to offer an analysis of how the rest of the team played? Here are some specific questions.

O-line and fullbacks: Opening holes? Pass protection? Coordinated pulling/trapping/screens? Did Nemo play? Did Rock?

Receivers: How did they do in getting open? Blocking for teammates, especially on running plays?

RBs: Why was Portis relatively poor in the first half and good in the second? Did Betts play?

D-line: Pressure on QB? Run-stuffing?

Linebackers & d-backs: Did Arrington have an impact? Did Rogers play? How did Springs look? Taylor? Marshall at MLB?

Special teams: Punt coverage? Kick coverage? Returns?

Thanks in advance.

It seemed they stacked the box in the first the in the second half Mark was hitting the quick hits to the WR ala Spurrier which softened up the D so Clinton could get some room.

The OL I would give in the first half a D and the second a B- Pat was getting hit quite a bit and the Oguny was all over the place. When Mark was back ther he was able to move a little more, but the Bears DL were very good.

Our DL stink, there is no other way to put it. We couldn't get any pressure on a rookie QB unless we blitzed. Orton had a lot of time to throw and looked good for a rookie.

Lavar had some few bright spots but not enough. The rest of the D were solid. Taylor was a beast and all over the place including playing some O.

Special Teams were good except for Brown, he was terrible, fumbled on the second half kickoff and was bad on some punt returns.

Thanks, everyone.

Iheart, you'll forgive me for overlooking a thread that told me to "relax" when I was hyped up and wanting news of the game. :)

Of course, my friend. I should probably change the title given how little of the thread's content had to do with relaxing and how much of it was just my analysis, albiet with a grain of salt. :)

Our DL stink, there is no other way to put it. We couldn't get any pressure on a rookie QB unless we blitzed. Orton had a lot of time to throw and looked good for a rookie.

:laugh:

Chicago running backs: 18 att. for 41 yards - 2.3 yards per carry. Yeah, our DL was AWFUL!!!! They absolutely STUNK IT UP!!! :rotflmao:

jbooma, you are incredible. The one touchdown they got was when they got the ball on the 20 yard line. Other than that, the running game was completely contained. THe DL played excellently.

We got some pressure from Daniels, and Griffin collapsed the middle as always. Moss, again showed that he can not only get open, but WIDE open, then pick up big yards after the catch. AB fumble on the KR led to Chicago's only score, besided that, we would have pitched a shutout. AB did absolutely nothing returning kicks, Maynard pinned us deep, and Bears coverage team covered well. Not much he could do.

Portis seemed to have a new element to his skill set: patience. He seems to realize that he won't be able to take every run to the house, but he can setup the defense for the big hitter, which he got courtesy of a 40 yard scamper. He mentioned in his post game conference that he stumbled a bit when accelerating through the hole, if it wasn't for that, he would have went the distance. I also liked the way he finished his runs, and scrapped for every yard he could get.

After 2 drives, Gibbs adjusted his playcalling to take advantage of the speedy and agressive Chicago defense, as evidenced by a fake end around-screen pass to Royal. Patrick started off slow as usual, and made some REALLY bad throws early on, including an INT. It looked like it was gonna be another one of those days, but he managed to get things rolling later on, but suffered a big hit that knocked him out of the game in the 2nd quarter.

Springs and Washington were solid as usual, Taylor seemed to be everywhere the ball was, and Betts provided a solid 1-2 punch. Lavar didn't start, but made some plays, I didn't hear much from Rogers.

On the Chicago side of things, I was real impressed with Orten. He made some really big plays out there, to keep a few drives alive. Williams was seemingly daring him to make a mistake, but he never made it - until Lemar Marshall picked off a pass tipped by Holdman. I thought he did well considering he had no real running game to keep us honest. Speaking of Lemar, he filled in great fo Pierce. The Skins defense completely annihilated the run, and the offense was pretty much in cruise control, playing keep away with Brunell playing the role of a closing pitcher. Benson only got 1 or 2 carries if I'm not mistaken. and...thats about it. 9-7 win for us, next week, Dallas.

Archived