Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's talk about the Defense!

Fergasun

Why does Marsha get all the trophies? Why does Marsha get all the good drawers? Why does Marsha always get everything?

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!!

Let's discuss how we feel about the defense. Is everyone confident they can repeat the performance of last year? After watching the 3 preseason games do you miss Smoot and Pierce? Are you concerned about the second safety spot? Does it bother you the defensive line can't generate a pass rush without a blitz? Are you confident regarding our defensive depth? Is Holdman holding his own in the new scheme?

My answers: Excellent, yes, no, a little concerned with the injuries to Bowen and Clark, no, I'm confident as to linebackers and d-line but concerned about the CB depth, holdman looks like a great pickup.

Please feel free to air your comments, concerns and nit-picks... such as "I was happy with holding the Steelers to 3 points, but I do have one problem with..."

Let's discuss how we feel about the defense. Is everyone confident they can repeat the performance of last year? After watching the 3 preseason games do you miss Smoot and Pierce? Are you concerned about the second safety spot? Does it bother you the defensive line can't generate a pass rush without a blitz? Are you confident regarding our defensive depth? Is Holdman holding his own in the new scheme?

My answers: Excellent, yes, no, a little concerned with the injuries to Bowen and Clark, no, I'm confident as to linebackers and d-line but concerned about the CB depth, holdman looks like a great pickup.

Please feel free to air your comments, concerns and nit-picks... such as "I was happy with holding the Steelers to 3 points, but I do have one problem with..."

First I was never a big fan of Smoot. I never thought of him as anything more than a #2 corner that had limited tackling skills. Last year was his best year but honestly I don't know how much of that was do to the fact that Springs played great and ST also covered very well.

Pierce we will know how much his presents contributed to our 3rd in the league ranking. Frankly I wanted him to be here but then again when Gregg Williams didn't go to managment to retain Pierce (lets face it the money was not realy the problem) I have to believe Gregg thinks he is not only replaceable but maybe upgradeable. All in all with Arrington, Daniels and Bowen healthy and most important another year under the same DC I just can't point a sure reason why would this D not be ranked top 5 again.

yes

no

no

yes

yes

where there to many questions to answer for one post ? Yes

as of right now i don't miss smoot or pierce. I agree with the greek as far as smoot: he was a decent #2 corner but I never had that much faith in the man. Carlos will probably end up being a much better corner, and he's already getting the job done at a satisfactorily level in the preseason. I haven't missed pierce, yet, but we'll see when we get in some real games. A few months ago I expected our defense to drop off a little, but now I think our D is going to be just as good, if not better, than last year. I think we're going to get a lot more turnovers this year.

The fact that our offense is already so much better bodes well for our defense also. More rest and less time on the field. Also, if our offense scores more, our D can play natural and not worry about doing everything perfect, which should lead to better play.

Archived