Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Demarcus Ware is a Monster! Is he Parcells next LT?

318 SKIN

Passing on Demarcus Ware may come back to haunt us. Just a what if - Had we taken Demarcus Ware a game breaking D-end/LB and traded our 24th pick for a 2nd rounder and recoup our 3rd rounder given away for Brunnell. We could have taken Cory Webster at corner (#1 rated Corner in 2003 & would have been 1st corner taken that year - injury tainted senior season). 3rd rounder could have been the big receiver so badly needed.

Demarcus Ware 2005 combine stats:

Weight 250lbs

40 yd dash - 4.56

vert leap - 38 1/2

bench press - 430lbs

broad jump - 10' 7"

This is Just 1 man's observation.

Passing on Demarcus Ware may come back to haunt us. Just a what if - Had we taken Demarcus Ware a game breaking D-end/LB and traded our 24th pick for a 2nd rounder and recoup our 3rd rounder given away for Brunnell. We could have taken Cory Webster at corner (#1 rated Corner in 2003 & would have been 1st corner taken that year - injury tainted senior season). 3rd rounder could have been the big receiver so badly needed.

Weight 250lbs

40 yd dash - 4.56

vert leap - 38 1/2

bench press - 430lbs

broad jump - 10' 7"

Congrats - this might be the dumbest post I've seen this season.

Ware has a similar skill set to - not 1, not 2, but 3 players on our team: M Washington, Lavar Arrington, and Chris Clemons. And you want to bring in a 4th guy to that position? Sheesh. Now he's most likely a better pass rusher than any of these guys but I'm not exactly sure the guy would have even started this season or anytime in the future. The only way to justify drafting him is to play him at end and it's no lock he'd be most effective there. In fact, I doubt he would. At 247, he's not big enough to take tackles head on and will need to rush the passer "by surprise." He's in the position he should be - as a 3-4 OLB. Unless you were somehow planning to completely revamp the defense to a 3-4 so Ware can be most effective, there was really no reason to take the guy. Why mess with a good thing?

You make a good point, but one of the needs expressed on draft day was a play maker on defense. you just don't see to many guys with his potential. 3-4 works for him, but with his versitility and Greg Williams scemes I think he would go crazy. My big frustration is that I think with the 9th pick we could have addressed more important needs (if not Ware maybe Mike Williams) and pick up Cory Webster in the 2nd round. Over his 4yrs at LSU he consistantly better than Rogers. However, you are correct this is a ridicules post - just my own catharsis! So thanks for listening. Still think Ware is going to be a monster!

Well, we didn't have a 2nd rounder because we had traded it the prior year for Chris Cooley. We had a 3rd rounder that we traded to Denver to move up into the 1st round in order to draft Campbell. Now, I suppose we could have used that late 1 on Webster (after drafting Ware) but that's kind of hard to justify for the price. If Gibbs tells me we got a potential franchise QB for a 3 and future 1, I buy it. But you can't tell me that a CB who has obvious flaws in his game is worth the same price.

Sorry, should have been more clear - I think it was the Ravens trying to move up to get a 1st round pick and were willing to give there 2 2nd rounders for a 1st and 4th round pick to do it, if i'm not mistaken rummer the Redskins were contacted.

At 247, he's not big enough to take tackles head on and will need to rush the passer "by surprise." He's in the position he should be - as a 3-4 OLB. Unless you were somehow planning to completely revamp the defense to a 3-4 so Ware can be most effective, there was really no reason to take the guy. Why mess with a good thing?

Not trying to play devil's advocate, but obviously Ware's weight would be determined by the position he plays. He was listed at 251 before the draft, when he didn't know if he would be an OLB or DE, now that he knows he's an OLB he lost some weight. Yeah he would loose some quickness at 255 to 260 LBs, but he'd still be quick for a DE.

A pretty HUGE "if", dont ya think?

Every QB is a big if. And it's not a move I personally would have made. But if Gibbs liked Campbell enough to pay the price he did, well I'll have to defer to the man who won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs. You know, the same guy who coached Dan Fouts during his best years and always seemed to have a top 10 passing offense with the Skins no matter who his QB was.

Every QB is a big if. And it's not a move I personally would have made. But if Gibbs liked Campbell enough to pay the price he did, well I'll have to defer to the man who won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs. You know, the same guy who coached Dan Fouts during his best years and always seemed to have a top 10 passing offense with the Skins no matter who his QB was.

Is this the same Gibbs that brung in Brunell and gave him a boat load of money and gave up a high 3rd draft pick. OK

Is this the same Gibbs that brung in Brunell and gave him a boat load of money and gave up a high 3rd draft pick. OK

I know - he should have been fired and replaced by Mike Zimmer. It's not like Parcells wasn't fooled into entrusting his team to a coke head - a far more egregious and unforgivable error. :rolleyes:

I know - he should have been fired and replaced by Mike Zimmer. It's not like Parcells wasn't fooled into entrusting his team to a coke head - a far more egregious and unforgivable error. :rolleyes:

Honestly you skins fans continue to bring up past events. IE Irvin and LT faults

How does Zimmer equate to Gibbs blowing a large sum of money and draft picks for a QB older then 30 that he ends up benching.

Honestly you skins fans continue to bring up past events. IE Irvin and LT faults

How does Zimmer equate to Gibbs blowing a large sum of money and draft picks for a QB older then 30 that he ends up benching.

Actually it's just a snide, sarcastic comment. Such comments should be all too familiar.

Typical stat crazy sport fan in today's fantasy fueled opinions.

A guy has one good quarter in a pre-season, he now is a monster-stud-HOF protege, etc., etc.

Give me a break please... but wait, is Carlos Gibbs' next Darrell Green.

woah! that guy is a monster, no doubt. i mean, if he did that in one quarter of play, and it was a preseason game, he can't be stopped. he is most definitely the next l.t., no doubt a future hof-er, and possibly the best player ever to suit up at linebacker. i mean, is there anything he can't do.

Weight 250lbs

40 yd dash - 4.56

vert leap - 38 1/2

bench press - 430lbs

broad jump - 10' 7"

Gibbs always likes to have at least 2 good qb's. Burnell wont hold it down so he had to draft a good one that is his style. We had no posistion of greater need then DE, true, but CB was damn close, considering the talent we got on CB, is over all better then the talant of the DE's out there, Sooo many DE's drafted in the 1st don't do jack.

Gibbs always likes to have at least 2 good qb's. Burnell wont hold it down so he had to draft a good one that is his style. We had no posistion of greater need then DE, true, but CB was damn close, considering the talent we got on CB, is over all better then the talant of the DE's out there, Sooo many DE's drafted in the 1st don't do jack.

Well so far the one DE we drafted looked good playing with Greg Ellis and La Roi Glover. I wonder how the other DE Spears will play when he gets in, also dont forget about our big nose tackle we got from the Jets Fergy.

Also I was wondering if you guys have paid attention to allthem DL and LB Parcells drafted before he left the Patriots and Jets.

Archived