Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey repeating history?

rtandler

From the Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34511-2002Jul19.html

A couple of highlights, or lowlights. The first paragraph of Maske's article states that the team and Ramsey's agent hope to have him in Carlisle before he missed a "significant portion" of camp. My comment: For someone like Ramsey, ten minutes of camp is a significant portion to miss.

Ramsey is quoted later in the article, apparently a statement prepared by his agent. He said, in part,

It's a great honor to be here, and I'm very excited about the opportunity to play for the Redskins. At the same time, it's a deal where I could get hurt tomorrow. It's a tough process. I think everybody understands.

I assume that by "hurt tomorrow" he means his financial future. I don't know about that, but his football future will be seriously damaged if he isn't there for the starting bell on Tuesday morning. And no, Patrick, everybody does not understand.

Worry about your future, sure. But also be mindul of the past. Look under Shuler, H. for further information.

So are we going to have a Heath Ramsey situation with some fans rooting Sage Ferrote?

Its not like he is going to get a 50 million dollar contract at his slot

Honestly I prefer him on the shelf this year anyway with Spiceman getting the opportunity as the backup so 2k3 would leave us with two young kids at the QB spot.

This is a different situation. Even if Ramsey holds out it shouldn't be more than a couple of days. They mentioned in the article that a deal could get done Monday. He could be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm not worried considering he is not being counted on to start like Shuler was.

you just KNEW that in taking a quarterback there were going to be signing issues.

it happens every year.

quarterbacks refuse to be slotted like other position players and second and third round picks at QB come in and expect to get the money players 20 picks ahead are getting.

that's part of the process.

as said before, Ramsey has little wiggle room because the Redskins are not going to start him in the opener and thus his presence from Day 1 of camp is less than for top picks like Carr and Harrington that are being counted on.

the other thing is, Spurrier has a history of treating his quarterbacks in an unusual fashion. he doesn't maintain a strict hierarchy and will take a chance on a guy that may be #3 in the depth chart from the previous regime.

so there is no guarantee that Ramsey is going to be the qb of the Redskins down the road.

if for sake of example, Matthews starts the season and gives way to Rosenfels (assuming he is still here) and Sage puts up good numbers, HE may be the quarterback of the future with 10 or 11 starts under his belt this year.

I think Spurrier would be loathe to make another change to Ramsey in 2003 and start all over again if Sage has already been successful.

Exactly, bulldog. Ramsey probably won't start this year, but if he doesn't get his *** into camp pronto, he won't play this year at all. He needs reps, he needs every bit of coaching and instruction that SOS can give him, and he can't get those at home.

If I was Ramsey, I wouldn't want to risk for even a second the scenario that bulldog outlines coming to pass. Ramsey's not there, Sage gets more reps, more of a chance to impress.

Killa, sanguine am I that I indeed am, at least arguably, neigh let us say appreciably, attuned to the gist, as well the spirit, of that which you intend to convey.

If thou catchest the direction in which I have drifted.

:cool:

Practice squad? Not a chance.

A player has to through waivers and then agree to be on the practice squad for a salary of $50,000 per year. The player remains a free agent; any team can sign a player off of any other team's practice squad at any time during the season.

I think he should sign a deal similar to this one.

Texans | Contract Details: Jabar Gaffney - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

8:55 PT: Updating previous reports, ESPN.com’s Len Pasquarelli reports Houston Texans WR Jabar Gaffney’s deal breaks down into one of two ways. It’s either a seven-year, $5,377,875 deal or a four-year, $3,599,250 deal. Gaffney received a $2.15 million signing bonus and there are base salaries of: $263,500 (2002); $329,375 (2003); $395,250 (2004); $461,125 (2005); $527,000 (2006, voidable); $592,875 (2007, voidable); and $658,750 (2008, voidable).

Any thoughts??

Yup, any team CAN sign a player off another team's practice squad during the season, but only if they put said player on the active squad. Keeps teams from pirating promising developmental players without having to at least risk moving someone who's already made their active roster.

Checks and balances, baby.

I think he'll be signed and in camp before this week is out. Why? No factual reasons, just a guess.

Let's remember, there are 2 sides to contract negotiations and if the Skins are adopting the position of "#32 is habitually a 2nd round pick and therefore you should get 2nd round money" well then, the team is messing up. The NFL is now a 32 team league. This is no suprise. Everybody knew this was gonna happen for the last ......what?........ 3-4 years? Face it and accept it. If the team is trying to low ball him because of that, that's bush-league bidnez! :doh: I have no idea if that is what the hold up is or not but if it is, I'm siding with the player.

Also, I do understand his position. when he said he could get hurt, I think he was talking about physically; as in, this might be the last contract he ever signs and wants to max it out.

All in all, for the reasons mentioned above, this is really NO BIG DEAL, even if he stays out a couple of weeks. I don't think that will happen but, if it does, it might even work out for the better. His absence would assure he won't play this year as many folks here think is best. If it is a "given" that Ramsey is out of the race then we will at least remove one player from the upcoming potential QB controversy.

Originally posted by bulldog

I think Spurrier would be loathe to make another change to Ramsey in 2003 and start all over again if Sage has already been successful.

I wouldn't count on that. He's had games where he rotated QB's every other play for an entire game and has never had the same QB for more than a few years anyway because they graduate. I'm not saying he'd be thrilled to change QB's, but he's so used to it, I doubt it'd be a big deal.

I hope Ramsey is keeping an eye on the 'Net and on sites like this one to keep himself grounded somewhat in reality.

Being the last guy taken in the first round doesn't really make you a 'hot' property. Nobody's clamoring to get him into camp. If he's there, great. If not, Sage, Danny and Shane will get all the reps.

I don't think he's in the same situation as Heath Shuler, where he's expected to come in and start. Still, he might remember how the protracted hold out played with the fans. Before he ever took the playing field he had become one of the least popular players....he was booed from the start of his career and I think it shook him. I'd hate to see Ramsey in a similar situation. If the contract offered is similar to what Jabbar Gaffney (#32) got, I think he'd be making a mistake to hold out.

But that's business.

I'm not concerned about a short hold-out, i.e. for a week or so. I'd expect that to happen frankly. Ramsey's sharp and hard-working, and he's already attended two mini-camps. Also, he's not starting, likely all this year. If it goes beyond that, or it becomes ugly in the media, that's when I'll start to be concerned.

Why Ramsey should show up on time:

• Not only is he (almost) a second-round QB, he's a (almost) second-round QB on a team that's got three more.
  • The closer the team gets to the starting gun, the less time the coaches are going to have for The New Guy.
  • The Skins don't have to sign him to keep him. As I understand the draft, nobody in the NFL is even allowed to talk to him for one year (or is it three?). (I suppose they might have to allocate a certain amount of cap dollars to him, sort of like when a holdout is "franchised". But I doubt he even counts as a roster space).

Archived