Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need Some Help From Parents, (or high school kids)

Ignatius J.

I'm working on expanding my tutoring business, and I wanted to get some parents' perspectives.

Imagine you have a child that is doing pretty well in school, but recently enrolled in AP physics or calculus and is struggling a little bit. Perhaps the teacher is doing a very bad job of explaining things.

a) would you consider hiring a tutor for your child?

B) If you did, how would you go about looking for a tutor? where would you begin your search?

c) What would you look for in a tutor? What would the most important atttributes you would use in deciding on a tutor?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

I guess first I would make the child stay after with the teacher, most teachers do stay after almost every day for help. If I were to get a tutor, Id try and find someone that is knowledgable in the subject, sometimes you canf ind former students of the same class who are tutoring.

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

I'm working on expanding my tutoring business, and I wanted to get some parents' perspectives.

Imagine you have a child that is doing pretty well in school, but recently enrolled in AP physics or calculus and is struggling a little bit. Perhaps the teacher is doing a very bad job of explaining things.

a) would you consider hiring a tutor for your child?

B) If you did, how would you go about looking for a tutor? where would you begin your search?

c) What would you look for in a tutor? What would the most important atttributes you would use in deciding on a tutor?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

a) I would definitely hire a tutor for my child if needed.

B) I imagine I would start asking around at the school - talking to administrators/guidance counselors to see if they had recommendations. My sister-in-law is a teacher in the local elementary school and she does tutoring - most of her "clients" are referred to he by the staff at the school.

c) I would want someone who was patient and able to adapt to different types of kids/learning abilities (in other words I would not hire my sis-in-law:)). Oh yea, and like R4L234 said....it would help if she is hot. :)

Good luck to you Inatius!

Back in High School (a whole 3 months ago), I needed a tutor in math (mainly to bring my math SAT score up). For me, a tutor kind of fell into my lap, because it turned out that the guy who owns our lawn care service also did math tutoring. I ended up going from a 560 math to a 700. Tutoring provides the personal attention that simply attending class can't give. The best place to find a tutor is usually at school, where you can find anyone from NHS members to faculty members to tutor in almost any subject.

I tutor my neighbor's son in Alegbra at times. He needs the help or he would not make it through. He is great in history, englis etc but hates math. If I had a kid I would definately look for help if they needed it. Tutors these days are very exspensive that is why I help out my neighbor.

I wish i had a tutor in school. I wasnt mature enough to know how to handle school. In retrospect, all the classes i did bad in was because, 1) I fell behind, 2) didnt seek help 3) felt that i deserved what I earned.

Tutors have to be knowledgable and patient. Their attention shouldnt be on more than a handful of kids.

As for where to look for tutors. There was a student tutoring program, but the idea of the smart kids tutoring me made me feel like an idiot, so i didnt go.

The presentation of the tutor and the program is important. Would I be going to idiot-camp, or getting help with subject X.

Archived