Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Three things

Spaceman Spiff

I'm not usually one to start a thread posting my opinions, but three things stood out tonight.

1. Ramsey's interceptions. Yeah, I know, 9/18, 190, but please, can it. Two horrible interceptions that had his trademark on them. I've never seen a quarterback throw interceptions SO blatant to other teams players. The DB's and CB's never have to make spectacular plays to pick them off. Ramsey's interceptions are almost ALWAYS directly at the opponent. What does this say about him?

2. On the way home on the postgame show I was listening to Gibbs being interviewed. He was PISSED. I'm not old enough to remember the glory days but I've never really heard him get angry when talking to the media. Sonny and Sam said something like "In case you couldn't tell by listening, Gibbs was steaming." Why was he mad? I'm sure you can figure out two large reasons why.

3. Charles Mann said that Brunell looks like an entirely different QB than he did last year and thinks that he was hurt last year which is why his play was so poor. He went on to say that quality players don't talk about injuries or use them as excuses for poor play and he thinks that's what happened to Brunell last year. He told about how the year after the 1991 superbowl team, Rypien had an awful season and it was due to a torn rotator cuff that he never brought up. He was too proud to use it as an excuse for his play.

That's the three most important things I gained from tonight. Patten looked good, so did Moss, Marcus Washington was all over the field. My seats were way high up, but I'm not complaining. Still have to see a replay of the game to better understand some of the things that went on. But even from the upper deck, almost at the top of the stadium I could see how blatant Ramsey's interceptions were. And that's what troubles me.

I agree that the interceptions were terrible errors--

but did you notice that almost all Ramsey's throws were long ones? I think that today was an attempt to see if Moss and Patten could do what they were brought here to do.

Ramsey was being asked to throw high-risk, high-reward passes, and he underthrew them both.

I was not impressed-- but not depressed.... I'm reserving judgement until the regular season.

I totally agree with your assessment of the defense. The first team defense was AWESOME.

Yes, seeing the running game being used to open us the deep ball put a huge smile on my face. Reminded me of the old/glory days. However, it was short lived due to Ramsey's bonehead errors. Everytime he did something that impressed me, he followed it up with something stupid (and I don't use the word "stupid" often).

The int were bad.... but not overly concerned.... Ramsey is just getting his rhythm, and was the first time he got to air it out.... He will improve more next week, then the next week and be ready by Sept. 11th

Patrick had many more positives in this game ... he had poise, some tremendous deep passes with touch, quick decisions, good reads, was better than the stats showed, getting timing with Moss & Patten, and and more importantly, even after the second pick.. he shook it off, then worked the clock to get a fg in less than 1:20 left. That was a big step in his growth as a QB

The time to throw those bad passes is in the pre season...he will remember them and it will help during the regular season. You learn from your mistakes...

Originally posted by bubba9497

The int were bad.... but not overly concerned.... Ramsey is just getting his rhythm, and was the first time he got to air it out.... He will improve more next week, then the next week and be ready by Sept. 11th

Patrick had many more positives in this game ... he had poise, some tremendous deep passes with touch, quick decisions, good reads, was better than the stats showed, getting timing with Moss & Patten, and and more importantly, even after the second pick.. he shook it off, then worked the clock to get a fg in less than 1:20 left. That was a big step in his growth as a QB

The time to throw those bad passes is in the pre season...he will remember them and it will help during the regular season. You learn from your mistakes...

Glad he's shown improvement over the preseason so far...

Originally posted by englitdaudelin

but did you notice that almost all Ramsey's throws were long ones? I think that today was an attempt to see if Moss and Patten could do what they were brought here to do.

Ramsey was being asked to throw high-risk, high-reward passes, and he underthrew them both.

That is not true, the only thing true of your post was that Ramsey was tasked to throw high risk passes. Where your wrong is that he underthrew them both.

First he completed some mad high risk passes, one for a td and one to Patten with 2 guys all over him for a long gain.

Second of his two ints only one could possibly be called under thrown, the reason I say possibly is cause the endzone int was thrown on target but a db jumped in and took it. If he had thrown it higher it would have been incomplete which would have been better but it wasnt under thrown.

The other int was over thrown, he had correctly picked the open reciever but overthrew him.

So my friend you are wrong to say he underthrew them both.

I hope you're right, Bubba. Its great to see a more wide open offense than we did in last year's regular season, but I wonder if we have the guys behind center to take advantage. Ramsey's two picks were reminiscent of his performance in the first Giants game last year, which was what scared Gibbs into starting Brunell for so long, and undoubtedly a big reason why Gibbs was so pissed tonight. Patrick certainly will face two challenging defenses to close out the preseason.......lets see if improvement is made the next two weeks.

Archived