Extremeskins

NFC balance of Power has changed!

PREDICTOR

Would you accept TO?  

638 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept TO?

• Yes
    • No

The Eagles have dominated a weak division over the last 5 years by being the picture of stability. 1 voice, 1 QB, 1 coach, 1 owner, 1 offensive system, and perhaps most important, 1 defensive coach named Jim Johnson with ONE defensive system. Disruption has not been a part of Philly.

Meanwhile, the other 3 teams have been spinning like a top, out of control. The Redskins with 5 coaches, the Giants with 2 coaches, the Cowboys with 3 coaches......these teams have also had numerous QB's and numerous offensive systems and numerous defensive systems along with a good deal of controversy, including last seasons drill seargent complaints against Tom Coughlin, similar to the complaints against Marty when he was here. Yes its been a circus in the NFC EAST everywhere EXCEPT Philadelphia.

Fast forward to the year 2005......and there are zero coaching changes in the NFC East for the first time in 5 long years. Stability at last....er....well..almost.

Now comes the T.O. thing, and suddenly the Eagles are the biggest media story of the offseason and the disruption going on in PHILLY makes Mt. Vesuvius and the volcanic eruption there appear like a small tremor.

Stability in the NFL is greatly underated. We are a society who is always in love with the newest movie, the newest gizmo, and the new and improved soap. But in football, we as Redskins fans certainly understand that new is not always better. Having the same old thing can be good.....very, very good. Being able to understand terminolgy is one thing. Being able to memorize it and explain it is one thing. Being able to absorb it and make it a part of you is another thing. That takes more than 1 season with 1 coach. It also helps to have the same receivers and same linemen and same players and personnel around you. Something the Skins certainly have never allowing to happen, until now.

We have 2 new receivers, yes....but we have Thrash, Jacobs, McCants, and Cooley, and Royal all returning.....along with Portis. They all catch the ball and amazingly, we have the same QB returning. More amazing is the fact that we have the same coach, and same offensive system and same defensive coach returning. AMAZING. If the Skins make the playoffs this season as I feel they will, everyone will atribute it to Gibbs or Ramsey or this or that....never giving much credit to the one factor that means more than all of that put together: STABILITY.

Just ironic that right now as all of the forces of the stability universe come together in the NFC East....the Eagles have now become a Supernova..preparing to explode and disintergrate in the NFL universe.

good post, you are right on with the whole stability issue. i think that is part of the reason why we aren't the typical redskins fans this year claiming that we are going to be 12-4 and win the super bowl. the stability has allowed us to not get overhyped by the big pickups and seen how a professional develops a team.

however, i don't agree with the supernova statement, i think they are just being sucked into the black hole known as T.O.

Originally posted by SkinsHokieFan

Tough to say for certain

The Eagles could use this to bond closer

Start saying things like "we got to the NFCCG without TO, we can get there again without him and win it without him"

Nothing is a sure thing here. They still have a very good team with or without TO

I somewhat agree with you except that if TO does not play for them they will have probably the most unproven receiving corps in the NFL. Which could potentially hurt their offense. I think this is the first time in 5 years that Eagles fans might be a little nervous going into the season.

Originally posted by VaBeachSkinzFan

I somewhat agree with you except that if TO does not play for them they will have probably the most unproven receiving corps in the NFL. Which could potentially hurt their offense. I think this is the first time in 5 years that Eagles fans might be a little nervous going into the season.

Nothing is given, Eagles fans were probably nervous last year.

It still isn't safe for everyone else to start whistling past the graveyard. There are lots of ways to win football games, with or without T.O.

Originally posted by VaBeachSkinzFan

I think this is the first time in 5 years that Eagles fans might be a little nervous going into the season.

Supposedly they were supposed to implode when:

1) Cut Charles Johnson & Torrance Small & went Thrash, Mitchell & Pinkston.

2) Released Trotter.

3) Released Troy Vincent & Bobby Taylor & went with 2 second year players, Brown & Sheppard.

4) McNabb broke his fibula

5) Owens broke his ankle

6) Let Duce Staley go to Steelers

7) Relied on a 3rd round pick from Villanova to be their primary RB.

I see the NFC East as a division that may have a 9-7 team win the division with the other three teams potentially being 8-8 or one other being 9-7 as well. It will be much tougher this year to win the East and it definitely will not be a walk in the park for the Eagles as the media would like to think.

Originally posted by TLusby

I see the NFC East as a division that may have a 9-7 team win the division with the other three teams potentially being 8-8 or one other being 9-7 as well. It will be much tougher this year to win the East and it definitely will not be a walk in the park for the Eagles as the media would like to think.

Not me.

I think it's laughable to think that a team that has won 11-13 games over the past 4 or 5 years will all of a sudden tumble with no major personnel losses.

Before you make fun of me and ask where I've been this week:

1) I still think Owens might play for them this season and

2) Owens was only part of one of their teams over their run through our division

Originally posted by Priapus

2) Released Trotter.

3) Released Troy Vincent & Bobby Taylor & went with 2 second year players, Brown & Sheppard.

5) Owens broke his ankle

ALL clubs have player personnel changes. You need to realize that it is not about the players, its about the stability...the stability that the OTHER teams have found. You point is to rehash that they have won with T.O. and without T.O....you have rehashed that they have won with Duce Staley and without Duce Staley....you have rehashed that they won with McNabb and without McNabb.....I have already covered all of that.

It is NOT about the players. It is about stability. The stability of the Eagles....and the NON stability of the other 3 teams. Now it is different. The thing that has changed is the stability WITHIN the other 3 teams. That has changed.

Anyone who thinks the Eagles will just win, win and win again over and over again and nothing will ever change, can't foresee trends. Nothing stays the same. The Eagles have done a remarkable job of staying consistent while the other 3 teams rotated around them in chaos.

After this season, everyone will be amazed at what the consistency and stability has done for this division. The experts will suddenly be writing about how amazing it is that this division has turned around in ONE year....and the experts will probably mention that stability and the same coaches and same system had something to do with it.

What I am doing is mentioning it BEFORE it happens. The idiot experts don't even have a clue and don't recognize this even now. Its all about stabilty, but even so.....stability goes in cycles just like instability does. The Eagles are now heading into an instabilty cycle and I am bringing that out NOW...before anyone has even talked about it.

It is NOT about "hey dude..the Eagles are gonna suck because they lost Duce Staley"....its NOT about "hey man...Hugh Douglas left so the Eagles can't play defense now". Its about the same coaches and same system and same philosphy and being able to integrate players into it. New England has done the same exact thing. The 2 teams that went to the Superbowl are models of the philosophy I am writing about.

What this thread is saying is that the Redskins NOW have that same philosphy and so do the Giants. Stability, a plan, and the determination to stay the course. THAT is what has changed in the NFC East. Not the players changing. That has very little to do with it why the Eagles have dominated.

Coaching instabilty and philosophy instability with 3 other teams over the last 5 years is the primary reason for the Eagles winning. I will be around 10 weeks from now when this will all become evident....although even then...some fans and some experts will simply be missing the point and claim..Patrick Ramsey has matured and is throwing better" or "Gibbs has finally figured it out" OR "the Eagles players are just not playing with the same enthusiasm" or some other irrelevent and misguided observation.

Its about the comfort level the players in the other 3 teams will achieve due to stability. The Eagles are not going to be WORSE, the other teams are just going to be BETTER.

Originally posted by Priapus

2) Released Trotter.

5) Owens broke his ankle

1. Not sure about the status of Thrash, Mitchell and Pinky when Johnson and Small left. So I will give you this one.

2. Already had a capable backup on the roster when he left.

3. See 2

4. Capable backups who manageed the offence through a weak NFC East.

5. Momentum was aleady built. Recievers who already had experience in the system filled in admirably.

6. See 2

7. While Westbrook is a fine RB. He lacked the physical makeup to be an every down back. I believe Philly was really hurt with the loss of Buckhalter in the beginning of the season. When it came to games where the offence had to grind it out in a phiysical game they didn't fair to well (see the superbowl).

The thing is Philly has done so well replacing players that have left, rather it be due to injury, or free agency. By using talent that was already on the roster and had knowledge of the system.

What really hurts there chances this time more than anything is the loss of Pinky for the season.

Originally posted by PREDICTOR

What this thread is saying is that the Redskins NOW have that same philosphy and so do the Giants. Stability, a plan, and the determination to stay the course. THAT is what has changed in the NFC East. Not the players changing. That has very little to do with it why the Eagles have dominated.

The message of this thread was not lost on anyone. However, regardless of whether or not the Skins and Giants have gotten on board the stability train, they are still several years behind the Eagles with that.

I'm not saying the Eagles will win the division until I'm a grandpa, I just think the other teams have to take smaller steps before knocking off a team that has tasted the success that Philly has. It's possible of course, but I would think the Eagles would need to implode a little for any other team to snatch this division this season.

:2cents:

The Eagles still have a couple winning seasons to fall back on, a solid foundation of good coaching and STABILITY. So they get one eruption, big whoop they've been tested before and overcome it. As much as I hope they implode, common sense won't allow me to stack the chips against them quite yet.

ALL clubs have player personnel changes. You need to realize that it is not about the players, its about the stability...the stability that the OTHER teams have found. You point is to rehash that they have won with T.O. and without T.O....you have rehashed that they have won with Duce Staley and without Duce Staley....you have rehashed that they won with McNabb and without McNabb.....I have already covered all of that.

For one, I wasn't responding to you, so save your grandiose & faux-intellectual chest thumping for someone else. I was responding to VaBeach who was stating that Eagles fans should be nervous due to an unproven WR core. I merely "rehashed" the numerous times that statement has been made in the past 4 years & each time those predictions of gloom have been dismissed.

After this season, everyone will be amazed at what the consistency and stability has done for this division. The experts will suddenly be writing about how amazing it is that this division has turned around in ONE year....and the experts will probably mention that stability and the same coaches and same system had something to do with it.

What I am doing is mentioning it BEFORE it happens. The idiot experts don't even have a clue and don't recognize this even now. Its all about stabilty, but even so.....stability goes in cycles just like instability does. The Eagles are now heading into an instabilty cycle and I am bringing that out NOW...before anyone has even talked about it.

Please explain how the Eagles are entering a cycle of instability? Nothing has changed about their system, coaching staff or culture. What's leading to your assumption?

Well, somebody responded that nobody on this thread has lost the meaning of the thread. Well, if thats so, why are so many people responding with comments about "the Eagles won't implode" or "I don't think Philly will falter".

Once again let me say and repeat myself, that this thread is not about the Eagles faltering as much as it is about the OTHER teams simply no longer stumbling and bumbling.

As to those of you who think the Eagles are so far ahead of the Redskins and other teams that it will take a couple of more years for the Skins and Giants to catch up....I don't understand where you are getting your assumption from. This is not horse racing. The Eagles have no huge lead and it must be overcome. This is a fresh season and everybody is equal...with the exception of personell changes and length of time that coaches and players have been together.

And that is the point. Finally the Skins are no longer starting over. We have a running start into the season instead of trying to catch up from a dead start.

My assumption may well just be my opinion. If you disagree with it...fine. We can all watch as the season progresses and see how it plays out. Thats the fun of football, but I am saying now and you can archive this...that the Eagles are not stumbling so much as they finally have some competition in the division. Competition born out of stability. The one key ingredient you can't buy with money, can't pick up in free agency, or draft with a high pick. It is here and nobody can take it away. Its not even about whether Joe Gibbs is a better coach than Andy Reid. Its just about leveling the playing field with stability.

Archived