Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Umm...Why are people freakin out over Ramseys scrimmage performance?!?!??!?!

footballhenry

Originally posted by PREDICTOR

a passing game is predicated upon 3 things. The QB, the offensive line, and the receiver. From what I have been reading and watching, all 3 phases of this game were out of synch this past weekend so it is surprising that Patrick did as well as he did quite honestly.

Just three?

I'd add coaching (classroom, practice field AND within-game); the specific game-planning for each individual opponent; the careful sequencing of plays within each game that set up OTHER plays; adjustments within-game to take advantage of weaknesses in the oppositions' personnel/schemes and/or to cover weaknesses in ones' own personnel/schemes that appear during a game; field position as dictated by the success or failure of your defense and special teams ... and so on.

Not trying to be difficult. Just saying the passing game in today's NFL is about a whole lot more than just the bodies you put on the field. :)

Originally posted by Om

Just three?

I'd add coaching (classroom, practice field AND within-game); the specific game-planning for each individual opponent; the careful sequencing of plays within each game that set up OTHER plays; adjustments within-game to take advantage of weaknesses in the oppositions' personnel/schemes and/or to cover weaknesses in ones' own personnel/schemes that appear during a game; field position as dictated by the success or failure of your defense and special teams ... and so on.

Not trying to be difficult. Just saying the passing game in today's NFL is about a whole lot more than just the bodies you put on the field. :)

Right you are OM. I didn't want to go into EVERTHING, and I thought I would make it simple, but since you mention it....

I think Gibbs and Bugel were caught with their pants down. If anything they should have known that the Ravens are starting up a new 46 defense and that they would be blitz happy.

So here we have Gibbs working on nothing but passing and the RAvens working on nothing but blitzing....and yet Gibbs and the Skins looked totally unprepared.

I agree with you about the rest and I am sure that as we gameplan we will get better. But it does leave one to wonder why Gibbs didn't gameplan for a blitzhappy defense. Bet you won't see that THIS weekend.

Originally posted by Gothtimus

5 or 8 and people are freaking out?? I didn't see the scrimage but 5 of 8 aint' bad.. if it was 2 or 3 of 8 then worry. But ti's a scrimmage, I don't even imagine it was full speed play.. No one wants to risk players..

I think the reason everyone is freaking out, is because he didn't show confidence on the field. His first throw was an INT, then he completed some short passes (keyword short). We were all looking for the long ball. I trust Joe Gibbs in his decisions, but I did find myself cheering for Brunell (especially on his TD to Cooley!) I am pretty sure that the Skins will be fine, I am just eager to constantly see big plays from our Offense..

HTTR!! :point2sky

Originally posted by PREDICTOR

Right you are OM. I didn't want to go into EVERTHING, and I thought I would make it simple, but since you mention it....

I think Gibbs and Bugel were caught with their pants down. If anything they should have known that the Ravens are starting up a new 46 defense and that they would be blitz happy.

So here we have Gibbs working on nothing but passing and the RAvens working on nothing but blitzing....and yet Gibbs and the Skins looked totally unprepared.

I agree with you about the rest and I am sure that as we gameplan we will get better. But it does leave one to wonder why Gibbs didn't gameplan for a blitzhappy defense. Bet you won't see that THIS weekend.

Bet you will. :)

Gibbs doesn't game-plan preseason. Not even a little. He's the single-most paranoid, close-to-the-vest preseason coach I've ever seen. Drives me NUTS sometimes.

He MAY let them run shotgun a few times, just to see it and get it on film, but I'd then half expect to see Patrick hand off or just fall down rather than risk "showing" anything.

Only half kidding there.

I fully expect us to go 1-3 or 0-4 this preseason, and spend most of it looking butt ugly. It would be consistent with everything I've ever seen from the man.

And THEN I expect to see us come out against Chicago, and look like we suddenly know what the heck we're doing. That would be consistent with what's gone before as well. :)

Originally posted by Om

And THEN I expect to see us come out against Chicago, and look like we suddenly know what the heck we're doing. That would be consistent with what's gone before as well. :)

On the flip side of that though, IF the team has an awful preseason and shows little improvement in the Chicago game, the folks who are labeled as "too early to be hitting the panic button" will then turn into the "I TOLD YOU SO's!"

Originally posted by goldenster95

Man, what do you want, especially from somebody who's had the limited starting experience he's had?

I dont know about GSF but I'd like to see him with less "happy feet" and improve his vision and release. QB's like Rasmey need good vision and a quick release in order to bail them out of a NFL caliber pass rush. This isn't Conference USA anymore.

Originally posted by LWC

On the flip side of that though, IF the team has an awful preseason and shows little improvement in the Chicago game, the folks who are labeled as "too early to be hitting the panic button" will then turn into the "I TOLD YOU SO's!"

In a community this size, I suspect you're right, and a few will.

Most won't.

Archived