Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW "Ultimate Draft"

Neal

I assume many of you have seen the latest issue of Pro Football Weekly in which the eight members of their editorial staff selected teams from current NFL players in a mock draft of 24 rounds. I found no surprises in the Redskins players chosen (or not chosen), but the order was interesting as a reflection of how those players rank in the eyes of the PFW editors. Champ Bailey was the first Redskin chosen with pick eight in round four, after Charles Woodson, Aeneas Williams and Troy Vincent. Chris Samuels was next at pick three round five, behing Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Tra Thomas. Jeremiah Trotter went at pick one round six behind Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher. LaVar Arrington was the eighth pick in round seven, behind Derek Brooks, Chad Brown, Jason Gilden, Junior Seau and Donnie Edwards. John Jansen was pick twelve round seven, behind Kyle Turley and Lincoln Kennedy. Fred Smoot was pick twelve round eight. Steven Davis, at pick eight round thirteen, was the eighth running back chosen. Although I would have picked Arrington higher, it is hard to argue against those who went before him at outside linebacker. It of course came as no surprise that no Redskin receivers or defensive linemen were selected. Any comments?

I have a comment. Tra Thomas can't hold Samuels jock. Also, just who were those eight running backs chosen ahead of Stephen Davis?

Besides Faulk, Williams and James I don't see anyone that should be ranked higher.

blind picks don't mean much.

there are many factors that would go into who I selected from the NFL to play on my team at any particular position including: age, consistency, injury history, attitude, etc........

Aeneas Williams is a good football player but he is going to be 34 years of age come September and no one would swap Bailey for him at this point of their respective careers. Woodson is a gifted athlete and would have been on my list, but I wonder what the medical diagnosis is on his toes, remember he was hobbling around last season toward the end of the year and was playing games without practicing all week to stay off the foot.

That 'turf toe' look a lot like what Deion Sanders suffered in '98 right before we saw a decline in his play. Hopefully, Charles can come back healthy off of it.

the linebackers once again, everyone has their own criteria. Arrington didn't get sacks last year because the Marty scheme was for the linebackers to make tackles in the run game and not take opportunities to free lance and blitz the qb.

no doubt that is why some LB's were taken earlier here. in fact Chad Brown made his early reputation with the Steelers as a pass rusher.

offensive linemen? Larry Allen is both the best guard and tackle in the NFL. hard to believe, but he was a multiple pro bowler at both positions.

Pace would perhaps get the nod over Samuels based on his consistency over a number of years, Chris is still a pup.

Thomas? I think Samuels is his equal as a run blocker and a better pass protector. :)

Stephen Davis always gets screwed by these types of contests because he isn't flashy, just productive. And he has run in an offense where he was the only star. He hasn't been teamed with a Brett Favre (like Ahman Green), a Jeff Garcia/Terrell Owens combination (like Garrison Hearst), and a Kurt Warner/Bruce/Holt trio (like Faulk).

In my mind you don't lead the Conference in rushing two of the past three seasons in your prime at 27 and end up being taken behind 7 other players :)

laurent - The six running backs (I counted wrong) selected ahead of Davis were Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Edgerin James, Corey Dillon, LaDainian Tomlinson and Ahman Green. Jerome Bettis was the eighth. I certainly agree with you on Thomas versus Samuels.

LaDainian over SD:doh: Puh-lease. Can you say Jamal Andersen, or Mike Anderson. Lots of rookies get hit by the sophomore jinx. I can see Curtis Martin over SD, maybe. Jerome Bettis, not anymore. Consider this - Schotferbrains took 6 games before finally realizing he could hand the ball off to Stephen, instead of trying to dunk a lot of loser 2 yard passes to the sidelines:shootinth :shootinth (Man, am I SOOOO glad that idiot and his stooge Jimmy Raye :dunce: :stupid: are gone). Is Mr. Davis had been given the ball from the beginning, we wouldn't have started 0-5, and he would've easily led the NFL in rushing. :gus: :gus: :gus:

Archived