Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(rumor) Cowboys Trade P. Hunter To Jets

kappaluvacee

http://www.dallascowboys.com/home.cfm?screensize=small

Cowboys To Deal Cornerback To Jets For Future Pick

Looks like cornerback Pete Hunter is headed to the New York after all. Two months after it was reported Hunter would be traded to the Jets, a move that was dismissed by head coach Bill Parcells, the two sides apparently have agreed on a deal to send the fourth-year cornerback to New York for a future draft pick. The draft choice will likely be a late-round pick in either 2006 or 2007, depending on Hunter's performance. After starting the first three games at right corner in 2004, Hunter suffered a torn ACL against Washington and spent the rest of the season on injured reserve.

Voice of Reason: Hunter was previously a starting corner for Dallas.

I don't care who the player is, if he was a starter and he is leaving the cowboys, I am happy. who cares if he wasn't a household name. He must have been decent if he was their starter, so I see it as them needing to replace a starting corner. That's good for us!

Originally posted by kappaluvacee

I don't care who the player is, if he was a starter and he is leaving the cowboys, I am happy. who cares if he wasn't a household name. He must have been decent if he was their starter, so I see it as them needing to replace a starting corner. That's good for us!

He never really had a chance to start. He won the RCB spot last year due to Mario Edwards leaving, but he was injured during our Monday Night game against you guys. He didn't play again.

With Henry and Glenn already assured a starting spot and Newman at LCB, he is no longer needed. Parcells wanted to let him compete for the FS spot but he refused, so now we sending him somewhere else so he has a chance to play.

He was a 5th round pick in 2002, so now large loss.

Good move on the Cowboys' part. He was both terrible and unhappy. They were lucky to get anything for him. To put this in perspective, Gardner was WAY more productive for the Redskins, yet his market value doesn't appear to be much better than Hunters.

With Donnie Abraham, David Barrett, Ray Mickens, and the untested Derrick Strait and Justin Miller, many agree that the Jets lack playmaking ability in the secondary.

I don't see how Hunter helps in that regard.

This is likely a move simply to fill out the training camp competition at the corner spot.

:doh: :rolleyes::( :doh:

Actually, in speaking to a number of Cowboys' fans over the offseason, they seemed to feel he was highly talented. Eventually, I think, he just got fed up with being 4th on the depth chart and wanted out. Personally, I'm glad too see it, because I think Glenn has lost a step and Henry is overrated. Hunter might have stepped in, and who knows? Maybe he would've realized his potential...

Originally posted by Canadian Hog

With Donnie Abraham, David Barrett, Ray Mickens, and the untested Derrick Strait and Justin Miller, many agree that the Jets lack playmaking ability in the secondary.

I don't see how Hunter helps in that regard.

This is likely a move simply to fill out the training camp competition at the corner spot.

Sirius also reported in the same 2 minute drill that Donnie Abraham announced his retirement today.

He was only a starter because we lost our RCB starter last season in FA, and they decided to give him a chance instead of signing another CB. This season he was 5th on the depth chart.

Dallas Radio reports that the Cowboys will recieve a 5th round pick if he plays this season for the Jets, and their Starting CB just retired

He was a starter, then he tore his ACL against you guys in week 3 I believe. Since then we have added Anthony Henry and Aarron Glenn. BTW Hunter was a starter by defult because Mario Edwards (who also sucked) was let go.

He was only a starter because we lost our RCB starter last season in FA, and they decided to give him a chance instead of signing another CB. This season he was 5th on the depth chart.

Not addressing the CB position with the influx of solid players that hit the market last season was the single most baffling decision Parcells has made in 2 seasons. Signing Bledsoe ranks a close second. ;)

Parcells chose to let Edwards walk just like he chose to hand the starting job to Hunter. Both were mistakes. You make it sound like the Boys didn't have any other options when they most certainly did. There were only about 6-8 of em on March 1, 2004.

And both poor decisions had just as much of an impact on the Cowboys struggling as signing Brunell did for Gibbs. Yet all you hear about is how Gibbs has "lost his touch" and that signing MB was Exhibit A in the movement to bury the HOF coach. Parcells shows that the moves you don't make and players you allow to leave can be just as damning. However, the Skins/Gibbs shoulder the bad press alone.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Not addressing the CB position with the influx of solid players that hit the market last season was the single most baffling decision Parcells has made in 2 seasons. Signing Bledsoe ranks a close second. ;)

Parcells chose to let Edwards walk just like he chose to hand the starting job to Hunter. Both were mistakes. You make it sound like the Boys didn't have any other options when they most certainly did. There were only about 6-8 of em on March 1, 2004.

And both poor decisions had just as much of an impact on the Cowboys struggling as signing Brunell did for Gibbs. Yet all you hear about is how Gibbs has "lost his touch" and that signing MB was Exhibit A in the movement to bury the HOF coach. Parcells shows that the moves you don't make and players you allow to leave can be just as damning. However, the Skins/Gibbs shoulder the bad press alone.

The difference with the 2 situations was 1.) Mark Brunell set back Patrick Ramsey's development. 2.) Mark Brunell cost the team way more that Pete Hunter. 3.) It's possible Parcells didn't feel comfortable with the FA corners. Last year the best 2 corners were Antone Winfield, who is small and has stones for hands (very good CB imo despite his limitations) and Shawn Springs who was very inconsistant throughout his career.

Hunter got hurt... injuries have a way of effecting the way roster moves are looked at...

If Hunter would have been healthy, BP not signing another CB wouldn't have been a big issue...

Hunter isn't a great player, but he is better tha the other scrub RCBs Dallas was running out there every game...

I always thought he had potential to be a good player.

But he became too disgruntled this offseason with the additions of Henry and Glenn.

To the point where he was becoming a distraction.

That didnt bode to well for his future with BP here.

So I'm glad we got something for him.

The difference with the 2 situations was 1.) Mark Brunell set back Patrick Ramsey's development. 2.) Mark Brunell cost the team way more that Pete Hunter. 3.) It's possible Parcells didn't feel comfortable with the FA corners. Last year the best 2 corners were Antone Winfield, who is small and has stones for hands (very good CB imo despite his limitations) and Shawn Springs who was very inconsistant throughout his career.

1) It is highly debatable that the MB signing stunted PR's development. In fact, it's probably easier to argue it the other way. Ramsey was clearly not ready to play when the season started. How do I know that? Because it was crystal clear in the Giants game that he had no clue what he was doing. He threw 3 or 4 picks and the Giants dropped 3 others that hit them in the hands. It's more likely that MB saved Ramsey from himself. Had Ramsey started the season, it would have been even uglier than it was if you can believe that. And Ramsey might have become a lost cause.

2) Now of course, we didn't have to bend over and pay MB 8 mill up front to take shots for Ramsey. But I don't think it was/is a crippling contract.

Also, it's not really fair to compare Hunter to MB as it's more what Parcells DIDN'T do (sign Winfield or Springs) that is really what's debatable.

3) Well that's to his detriment that he didn't see either as viable options and instead chose to sign Marcellus Wiley when he could have had a top 10 CB for a little more dough.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

3) Well that's to his detriment that he didn't see either as viable options and instead chose to sign Marcellus Wiley when he could have had a top 10 CB for a little more dough.

A little more dough?

Come on now.

While I agree he couldve had Winfield, the ONLY CB he was interested in last season, the coin was a great deal more than what it cost to bring in Wiley.

Archived