• 12-4 or better
    • 11-5
    • 10-6
    • 9-7
    • 8-8
    • 7-9
    • 6-10
    • 5-11 or worse

In addition, if the police don't study this case, and see how they could've handled the situation better, then I think they are not doing their job. Some of us offered suggestions as to handle similar situations in the future. If they simply have the mindset of "these are the rules of engagement, and we followed them" well, then, that's sad. But I guarantee you they will study this incident and probably train for similar incidents in the future.

Originally posted by herrmag

In addition, if the police don't study this case, and see how they could've handled the situation better, then I think they are not doing their job. Some of us offered suggestions as to handle similar situations in the future. If they simply have the mindset of "these are the rules of engagement, and we followed them" well, then, that's sad. But I guarantee you they will study this incident and probably train for similar incidents in the future.

Every time a policeman shoots someone and an innocent civillian is killed, a thorough investigation is launched. I think there might be an investigation anytime a policeman shoots someone period.

The police have to get some benefit of the doubt, I don't mean that they are above investigations, however, I'm serious when I say, who in their right mind would want to be a cop the way society is today.

I make sure I don't put my self in situations where a cop may have to point his gun at me or use his baton.

I truly believe that once you have broken the law, you have given up some of your rights. The police have to take underconsideration how much danger a person is posing to others as well. If a guy has a gun (I'm very much for gun rights, I have many) out in public and is a threat, the police should take him down, I KNOW as a responsible gun owner, that waving one of my guns around in public is not OK, let alone firing them.

I support he police until proven otherwise. Regardless of race, social status, income or what ever else.

My wife and I get into arguments all the time over police use of force. This sounds like there was a lot less of a gray area than most cases though. There have been numerous instances out here in SoCal of cops killing people without guns, e.g. a homeless woman brandishing a screwdriver, which are troubling. Certainly in those instances, restraint can be used given the relative inability to harm people with a screw driver.

In this case, though, you have a guy who was already, on multiple occasions, firing a gun at people who were not threatening him, like the SWAT guys trying to evacuate neighbors. I don't think there's a lot of room for criticism here. The child's death is attributable to the father's actions, not the police.

Originally posted by codeorama

I'm serious when I say, who in their right mind would want to be a cop the way society is today.

Depends on WHERE. I know a lot of people in NoVa that want to be cops and can't get in. It seems that so many people want to be fairfax county cops that they are extremely selective.

The real question is who the hell wants to be a cop in the bad part of town. lol

I make sure I don't put my self in situations where a cop may have to point his gun at me or use his baton.

Damn skippy. This is how you have to think about it, if a cop says "you are under arrest" or anything of the sort anything you do that isn't surrendering yourself could be viewed as resisting arrest....which is a felony. So why even get to that point, much less take it further where the cop thinks hitting you is a good idea.

I truly believe that once you have broken the law, you have given up some of your rights. The police have to take underconsideration how much danger a person is posing to others as well. If a guy has a gun (I'm very much for gun rights, I have many) out in public and is a threat, the police should take him down, I KNOW as a responsible gun owner, that waving one of my guns around in public is not OK, let alone firing them.

I support he police until proven otherwise. Regardless of race, social status, income or what ever else.

We need those energy weapons my other thread talks about. Imagine being able to knock the ****s out with a bolt of lightning....whoa baby!

Originally posted by herrmag

Who the he!! said it was the police's fault? Please don't put words in other's mouths, especially when concerning an incident like this.

Ok, I'll grant you that I was too harsh with that statement. A better way to say what I was thinking at the time, is that people rarely give the police the benefit of the doubt these days. Often, many people's first instinct is to immediatley question the police, and pass judgement on them (even though these same people will say until their blue in the face "innocent until proven guilty" when the suspect's guilt is in question. You could have the suspect on video robbing, and shooting a store clerk, and these same people will still say "innocent until proven guilty" that would immediately presume a cop screwed up, without even knowing the circumstances, or all the details.)

Let me say that I believe in our system, and due process, (I wouldn't do what I do for a living if I didn't) but why does that only apply to those accused of the crime? It seems to never occur to many peole that maybe the police DID do all they could do, and maybe there were NO other options given the unique circumstances of a given incident. I am willing to give the cops the benefit of the doubt. In the incident in question here, I'm sure the last thing the cops wanted to do was shoot the guy, and his child if another option was plausible. (Sniper? I'm sure there was a reason a shot wasn't taken, maybe they thought they could talk the guy down, and didn't want to take him out. Maybe the situation deteriorated too rapidly. Who knows?)

Of course, baby or no baby, if I'm being shot at, I'm going to return fire. Self-preservation. God forbid, I'd have to live with that afterward, and I pity those poor cops that had to shoot. They'll never be the same.

Originally posted by Destino

I just wish we watched prison gaurds as closely as we do cops.

I love it when people come and watch what I do. I actively encourage it. If you ever get a chance to visit a local prison or detention center, do it. After you see what we have to put up with, you will leave with a new appreciation. You would be surprised how many felonies are committed DAILY by inmates, but are brushed under the carpet as "rare incidents."

For example, in the past six months, at my facility, 5 officers have been assaulted. One was beaten by a guy who was going through alcohol withdrawals, and he thought the officer was attacking him. (All the officer did was open the cell door so medical staff could check the inmate's vitals) Another officer was urinated on. One was spit on, and smacked in the face.

In our behavioral adjustment unit. (area reserved for the worst of the worst) The inmates throw their feces out of their cells, and urinate out of the cell doors onto anybody who dares get to close. Just for fun. We deal with herion abusers, that get so high. They miss the vein when their shooting up, and get chemical burns so badly that it burns their skin off from the inside out. I've seen burns so bad, you can see all the way to the bone. A few months ago, a 16 year old kid commited suicide, and despite our best attempts to revive him, we were unable to do it. (he broke his neck on the way down)

I invite any interested party to come "watch" what I do, if you have the stomach for it.

Destino its obvious you have never set set foot inside a prison. Yeah there are a few bad CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS out there but for the most part they are hard working and honest. I'd love to see how you would feel the first time that slider closed behind you and they opened the doors for 100 or so covicted felons all came out of their cell on the way to the dayroom. In my years as a CO I've saw alot more CO's assaulted by inmates than inmates assaulted by Officers.

Archived