Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

bus driver special

budski

Originally posted by budski

Art still clueless it was a defensive play??

Yes, it was a defensive play.

Also, I believe it was in the Denver SB... the team started out getting pushed all over on Offense. Gibbs gathers the O-line around him... chews on a pencil for a couple seconds.... then changes the entire blocking scheme to zone blocking, and the Offense goes on to dominate.

Cool,

ok keepers of the little known information.

What other little tidbits do you have in your collective memory banks on this guy called Gibbs.

Although I was there and enjoyed all the fun, I didnt really follow all the nuances of Gibbs adjustments during the games.

The defensive play Art mentions was in the Buffalo Super Bowl, budski.

And Blade's account of the sideline adjustment in the Denver Super Bowl is also on point (there was a thread not too long ago w/ more specifics).

Another story I loved about the Gibbs years came, I think, in this game against the Saints in late in the '90 season.

Rypien had a monster game coming back from injury, and not only directed a great game, but at one point, in scoring territory, actually audibled to a play the team had not run or even practiced since training camp (or perhaps even the year before) ... which natrually resulted in a touchdown pass just as pretty as you please.

After the game, I remember Gibbs talking about it, and commenting about Rypien being the smartest QB he'd ever been around, and a bunch of players all being just amazed not only that Ryp would recall something AT THE LINE from so long ago and have the balls to call it, but that he and the whole offense were able to pick it up and execute it flawlessly, like it was nothin'.

Those teams were special. One guy in particular was the driving force behind that. That guy is back on the sidelines and laying the groundwork again.

Enjoy the ride. :)

Originally posted by Blade

Also, I believe it was in the Denver SB... the team started out getting pushed all over on Offense. Gibbs gathers the O-line around him... chews on a pencil for a couple seconds.... then changes the entire blocking scheme to zone blocking, and the Offense goes on to dominate.

I just wish it didn't take him almost all of last year to change that for Portis. :)

I guess even legends need time to get back in a groove.

Originally posted by Heavy Jumbo

I just wish it didn't take him almost all of last year to change that for Portis. :)

Remember, Gibbs didn't change his style the first go around for almost half the season. Those other teams that are mentioned were teams that Gibbs put together and had been around for years together. Gibbs could trust his personel a little more back then, as I assume he will this year.

Yeah, it was a LB blitz that attacked/exploited the Bills weaker center area of thier O-line. Thurman Thomas couldn't react, misstepped in picking up the blitz(missed block). The LB(was it Andre Collins?) put pressure on Kelly, Kelly in turn threw a rushed pass that was picked off. ( I believe that's what it was anyway) man..maybe I'm confused..and it's terrible because I just watched it on NFL network...:doh:

"then changes the entire blocking scheme to zone blocking, and the Offense goes on to dominate."

Sorry Blade, but you must be mistaken. Zone blocking is part of the new NFL. Such things didn't exist way back then in the dark ages. Gibbs is having to steal it from Denver so Portis can be effective. ;) Coach was never creative enough to use such an advanced scheme way back then. :cool:

Originally posted by Heavy Jumbo

Gibbs KNEW those players extremely well.

Not the case with the 2004 season.

He has stated several times that last year was about getting to know his guys.... remember, he started out in 81 trying to run the Air Coryell offense for the first half of the season. As he got to know his guys and find the things that those players could do well, the team became more successful... finishing the year with 8 wins out of the last 11 games.

I doubt we will see a second-season Super Bowl like we did in 82, but I bet we will see a DRAMATIC improvement in Gibbs' ability to make adjustments both during the season and during the game.

Originally posted by Blade

Gibbs KNEW those players extremely well.

Not the case with the 2004 season.

He has stated several times that last year was about getting to know his guys.... remember, he started out in 81 trying to run the Air Coryell offense for the first half of the season. As he got to know his guys and find the things that those players could do well, the team became more successful... finishing the year with 8 wins out of the last 11 games.

I doubt we will see a second-season Super Bowl like we did in 82, but I bet we will see a DRAMATIC improvement in Gibbs' ability to make adjustments both during the season and during the game.

^^^ nice point made blade! A repeat of a similar scenario would be nice though! :cheers:

I think there was still a psychology behind not switching brunell out earlier. Not only was he "sticking behind his guy." I think Gibb's wanted to insure when he switched over to Ramsey that it was going be a more effective offense.

Everyone says that Brunell did not get the benefits that Ramsey received from an revamped offense correct? I really believe that Gibbs did not put Ramsey in prior so as to not damage his psyche any further. What if he switched Brunell out and there was no improvement? No spark? No change in offense? Do you think Ramsey would still be exuding the "confidence" described by fellow redskins?

Gibbs fought virulently against popular opinion to bench Brunell for his poor play. Obviously, there was a logic behind that choice. Given Gibb's history, benching a QB for a poor play was not out of the question. It seemed to me that he was tweaking under Brunell because Brunell a seasoned veteran would handle the mental pressure of losing better than Ramsey.

Originally posted by Om

The defensive play Art mentions was in the Buffalo Super Bowl, budski.

And Blade's account of the sideline adjustment in the Denver Super Bowl is also on point (there was a thread not too long ago w/ more specifics).

Another story I loved about the Gibbs years came, I think, in this game against the Saints in late in the '90 season.

Rypien had a monster game coming back from injury, and not only directed a great game, but at one point, in scoring territory, actually audibled to a play the team had not run or even practiced since training camp (or perhaps even the year before) ... which natrually resulted in a touchdown pass just as pretty as you please.

After the game, I remember Gibbs talking about it, and commenting about Rypien being the smartest QB he'd ever been around, and a bunch of players all being just amazed not only that Ryp would recall something AT THE LINE from so long ago and have the balls to call it, but that he and the whole offense were able to pick it up and execute it flawlessly, like it was nothin'.

Those teams were special. One guy in particular was the driving force behind that. That guy is back on the sidelines and laying the groundwork again.

Enjoy the ride. :)

Wow,

did not know much of this......

If this can happen one day to the modern Redskins.......

WOW!!!

Archived