Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: The ultimate 53-man NFL roster

Paul Cumberland

Full Article Here: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11344558/tom-brady-jj-watt-highlight-ultimate-53-man-nfl-roster-salary-cap-nfl

Insider's GM assembles the ideal NFL team under the salary cap for 2014

(Note: Mark Dominik's ultimate 53-man NFL roster also appears in the NFL preview issue of ESPN The Magazine.)

The premise for the following exercise was simple: Assemble the best possible 53-man NFL roster under the salary cap, using each player's 2014 cap charge.

I thought this would be an interesting project; I didn't realize just how difficult it actually would be. I'd initially envisioned my super team featuring Peyton Manning handing off to Adrian Peterson and throwing to Calvin Johnson, while Joe Thomas protected his blind side. But then I realized those four players alone would have made up a whopping $57 million -- more than 40 percent -- of my $133 million budget.

So I had to go back to the drawing board, balancing star power with great rookie-deal values and some underrated role players to help me fill out the roster. I tried not to just pick the best players available based on the money, but to find players within each position group and unit who could complement each other. I wanted a balanced offense, a 4-3 defense and a roster that could hold up on special teams as well.

The only rule I gave myself outside of staying under the cap was not to take any rookies. (And no, this isn't an MLB All-Star team, so there isn't a representative from every team: No Giants, Falcons, Steelers or Chargers were selected.)

Here you have it: The best NFL roster that $132,971,300 can buy.

Quarterbacks

Tom BradyNew England Patriots ($14,800,000): Brady has consistently worked with the Pats' front office to allow the team to build the best overall squad around him. Even though I love Drew Brees and Peyton Manning, I like Brady just as much, and he saves me $3 million-plus in cap space to be used at other positions. Plus, he is a proven winner and leader.

Andrew LuckIndianapolis Colts ($6,029,454): Not only is he an emerging star, but Luck also is the type of high-character guy you have to have on the team. Sure, he is a little pricey as a backup, but I believe you need to have a quarterback you can win with if he's called upon -- and Luck would win a lot of games for this team.

Russell WilsonSeattle Seahawks ($817,302): How could I not select Wilson here? His contract offers major value, he's coming off a Super Bowl championship and I believe he can run any system in the league because of his top-level intelligence and decision-making. What a great backup and teammate.

Running backs

LeSean McCoyPhiladelphia Eagles ($9,700,000):Some say you can save money at running back -- and I agree -- but in order to get McCoy, I decided to spend some money at this position. My starter has to have all of the tools to be a threat in both the running and passing games, and no one does that better than McCoy. Look, I love Peterson and other top backs, but their cap numbers are so high.

Alfred MorrisWashington Redskins ($600,775):Morris represents a sweet bargain for a super-talented player. He can run downhill, and what I like best about him is his ability to break the initial tackle and make positive yards after contact. He is a classic downhill runner but has deceptive feet and agility to make you miss in a short area.

Doug MartinTampa Bay Buccaneers ($1,851,144):I might be a little biased, having drafted him to the Bucs as a rookie in 2012, but remember, he had nearly 2,000 yards from scrimmage his first season. If his injury was more than a shoulder ailment, I might hesitate picking him here, but he is a special player who I think will bounce back and have a very productive season. He has the very rare ability to make you miss and can quickly accelerate to full speed.

Eddie LacyGreen Bay Packers ($771,003): He is a good downhill power player who can get the tough yardage and still break a play from the line of scrimmage. He carries his pads well on tape and, again, I love backs who can gain yardage after initial contact. Lacy does that, and I have to find good values like Lacy as I put this entire 53-man roster together.

H-back

Charles ClayMiami Dolphins ($1,459,000): Clay also can be seen as a tight end, but he has previously worked out of the backfield. I see him as a classic H-back, and he is really dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield. He is consistent in his production. Plus, the more weapons you have on offense that can catch the ball, the more stress you put on defensive coordinators.

Wide receivers

A.J. GreenCincinnati Bengals ($6,264,394):I wanted a clear-cut No. 1 wideout, and Green is that guy. Thankfully, he has not re-done his rookie deal, so I can put him on the team and save the cap room that most established top WRs would take up under their unrestricted free agent contracts (that's why I had to leave Megatron off the team). Green is a special player who has all the traits of a star receiver: size, speed and awareness. Our QBs will love having him.

Demaryius ThomasDenver Broncos($4,700,000): Thomas is a beast who creates a mismatch every time he steps onto the field. He can be a threat on short routes, and he also has the vertical speed to threaten a defense down the field. I love his run-after-the-catch ability, and I like having big-bodied wideouts on my offense.

Dez BryantDallas Cowboys ($3,148,500): It's fair to question some of his antics on the sideline and off the field. However, when you prep for a player with his talents, you realize how much you'd rather play with him than against him. He is a good value based on his 2014 contract and is powerful football player when he has the ball in his hands. I am willing to spend some money at this position (more than $14 million for my top three guys) because the league allows wide receivers to be a factor. 

T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts ($706,850): I called him the Blur when I scouted his college tape, and he continues to be a serious speed threat in the NFL. He can push a defense vertically and, at his cap number, this might be one of the best deals on the entire team. Hilton has the toughness and guts of the big-bodied guys, but possesses the 4.3 speed you want on your roster. He'd be an asset in the return game as well.

Alshon JefferyChicago Bears ($1,240,317): Interested in a big-play receiver who can make tough catches and is still on his rookie deal? Jeffery can do it all, and he comes at a great value. He has continued to blossom as a wide receiver in the NFL and provides me with another physical wideout to give defenses real problems. He's a stud who has shown elite hands that will make the big catches in big situations.

Tight ends

Jimmy GrahamNew Orleans Saints ($4,000,000): I am taking advantage of this cap contract, just as the Saints are this season. Graham is the ultimate matchup problem for any defensive coordinator: He is a big-time athlete with size and great hands. He earned his new contact with the Saints. I hope he adjusts well to not catching as many TDs with my team as he does with the Saints, but then again, even on this squad he might still lead the roster in scoring.

Julius Thomas, Denver Broncos ($741,000): This is too good a deal to pass up, and I believe Thomas can still develop further as an NFL tight end. He is ultraproductive with Manning and can continue to put stress on defenses with his size and speed. I grabbed him because of his deal, which might get reworked quickly but keeps him within my budget as of now. He is a steal at this price.

Jordan CameronCleveland Browns ($1,550,350): Cameron can really catch the football, and you appreciate him more after watching him move the chains on tape and in games. Plus, he is a consistent route-runner. As with my other tight ends, I don't care how much he blocks -- I want guys who can run and catch. Cameron continues to improve his numbers each season.

Offensive linemen

Matt KalilMinnesota Vikings ($5,391,981): He is a little pricey for a rookie deal, but the more I watch him, the more I appreciate how good he is and how much better he'll become as an NFL left tackle. Kalil has all of the traits to be able to bend and move to the second level, and he is getting better at anchoring against the bull rush. He is a good value (remember, some of the best tackles in the league command as much as $9 million per season).

Joe StaleySan Francisco 49ers ($3,400,000):Staley has been a consistent performer since entering the league, and at this current price, it was easy to put him on the roster. A left tackle who has the ability to flip because of how athletic he is, Staley offers flexibility -- I'm starting him at left guard for this team -- and value. I'm a fan, and clearly the Niners are as well, as they reworked his contract this year.

Stefen WisniewskiOakland Raiders ($1,315,810):Wisniewski continues to impress with each passing NFL season. He is a fine center, and because he is on his rookie deal, I thought he was too good of a value not to put on the team -- and at a very important position with protection calls to keep the QB healthy.

Larry WarfordDetroit Lions ($714,250): After seeing him play live last season, I was impressed at his physical style of play as an interior lineman. He shows strength to maul at the line of scrimmage and possesses the hand strength and movement to keep defenders off his body. With nine offensive linemen on the team, I had to find some players making less than $1 million. I'm happy to have him in 2014.

Demar Dotson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers ($2,000,000): Sure, you can call me a homer for selecting another of my former guys from Tampa, but the fact is that Dotson continues to develop and dominate at the NFL level. A former basketball player, he has the feet movement and length you love at the tackle position. If the average per player for this team is more than $2 million, Dotson is a good deal for my team.

Eugene MonroeBaltimore Ravens ($3,200,000): As I went through offensive linemen and their 2014 salaries, Monroe really stood out to me as a big-time value with talent. I'm taking advantage of his current contract, but that's why clubs structure them the way they do. He is a left tackle who can play multiple positions -- that versatility was a deciding factor for me.

Kelechi Osemele, Baltimore Ravens ($912,510): Depth and experience are important for an offensive line. Osemele provides excellent depth on the roster and comes at a great price based off his rookie contract. He can play inside and outside if needed. I like his size and believe he is going to continue to ascend as a player.

David Bakhtiari, Green Bay Packers ($608,850): He started 16 games for the Packers last season, and even though he can protect the blind side, I think he would be a great swing tackle on my team. His value is exceptional. Plus, he brings classic Packer O-line toughness to the group.

J.R. Sweezy, Seattle Seahawks ($584,212): Needing 53 players on the roster and not including any rookies on the team, I wanted to find a young, low-cost player who I believe is ascending quickly -- and Sweezy seems to be that guy. He has the traits you like in terms of toughness, length and power.

Defensive ends

J.J. WattHouston Texans ($3,575,567):There is no doubt that this is the best bargain in football. I hope the Texans enjoy this contract while it lasts, because I think Watt's deal is going to make the one given to Mario Williams seem small. To me, Watt is the best defensive lineman in the NFL, and at this price, I get to bring some great teammates along with him.

Robert QuinnSt. Louis Rams ($3,002,381):Quinn continues to improve as a player in the league. He shows the needed trait of being able to get around the edge with speed. He can also attack the quarterback with his length and strength, and continues to be a problem for NFL offensive tackles. Plus, he is a good tackler who can produce in both phases of the game.

Muhammad WilkersonNew York Jets ($2,187,500): This ranks up there as one of the best deals on the team. Wilkerson not only anchors against the run, but he also powers his way to the quarterback. We will put him outside at LDE and let him attack the right tackle. He's just so big and strong; it's fun to watch him play the game.

Justin HoustonKansas City Chiefs ($1,598,812): Houston is a special athlete who can really accelerate up the field and attack the quarterback. He shows the desired combination of speed and bend to consistently work over offensive tackles. Plus, he has good length and wraps up opponents well.

Olivier Vernon, Miami Dolphins ($759,520): Vernon has quietly become a strong force in the league. He is as consistent at applying pressure to the quarterback as he is at making plays in the running game. At this contract level, he is a great fit for this roster.

Defensive tackles

Phil Taylor, Cleveland Browns ($2,575,125): Taylor is thick and powerful as a run-stuffing defensive tackle. He has the ability to really anchor inside against double-teams. When you are building a defense, it's always fun to have pass-rushers, but you have to stop the run to be a truly top unit.

Jurrell CaseyTennessee Titans ($1,585,359): Adding a penetrating defensive tackle was important, given the presence of Taylor and Star Lotulelei. Casey shows the ability from inside to not only put pressure on quarterbacks but also bring them down (10 sacks last season). He is on his way to a big payday, but for this team in 2014, he's a massive bargain.

Star LotuleleiCarolina Panthers ($2,182,841): I wanted another run-stuffer inside. I have two guys on great contracts who can get pressure by penetration, but in this game, you still have to stop the opponent from running the ball down your throat. With Lotulelei, I get a player who has excellent strength and toughness who I believe can be even more dominating as a stout defensive lineman.

Sheldon Richardson, New York Jets ($2,285,000): Last season's defensive rookie of the year can do it all from this interior position, and he creates issues for offensive linemen with his quick-twitch ability coming off the snap. I think he will be even more productive this season, and he gives me another guy who can attack the quarterback while keeping me under the cap.

Linebackers

Luke Kuechly, Carolina Panthers ($3,430,528): Kuechly is leader and a playmaker in every area of the game. He holds down the Mike linebacker position and does it with athletic ability, smarts and physical play. He is an every-down player, and even though he possesses a top-10 rookie contract, I have to have him on my team. I took advantage of young, low-cost players at this position, but getting Kuechly was a must for my team, especially as leader on defense.

Vontaze Burfict, Cincinnati Bengals ($570,334): This one was easy. I got last season's leading tackler (who has piled up 298 tackles over the past two years). He is big, thick, strong and really finds the ball quickly. Plus, he is on a rookie deal, which allowed me to spend more money on the guys in front of and behind him.

Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers ($946,836): Another of my former draft picks with the Bucs, David produced like an eight-year veteran his rookie season. To me, he is the best outside linebacker to come along in many years; he is a classic Will backer who is effective both blitzing and dropping into coverage.

Mychal Kendricks, Philadelphia Eagles ($1,212,121): Kendricks is another linebacker you love to have on your team because he can stay on the field all three downs, displaying good toughness and great speed. Plus, he's a good competitor and will be able to help this team on special teams as well.

Jerrell Freeman, Indianapolis Colts ($576,668): Freeman makes the team for a few reasons. First and most importantly, he makes plays. Second, he is a great value, and third, I believe if he had to be only a core special-teamer and play all four phases (punt, punt return, kickoff and kickoff return), he would dominate.

Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks ($1,174,854): Wagner finds the football and can quickly accelerate to close ground on offensive opponents. He shows all of the tools as an athletic linebacker and continues to produce. Also, he provides good value (as do all of the linebackers on this team).

Malcolm Smith, Seattle Seahawks ($656,475): Not only was he the Super Bowl MVP, but he is a fine football player at an incredible value. He can play outside linebacker as well as be a very productive special-teams contributor. Plus, he shows hands to make plays in the passing game. I love his toughness and know his tackling will be a big asset.

Cornerbacks

Patrick PetersonArizona Cardinals ($6,936,309):Peterson just got a massive deal that moved up his previous cap number. However, there is no way I could field this team without a weapon like him on it. He shows all of the elite tools at the position, with ball skills probably his best trait. On this team, given the depth and talent we have at corner, I can use him as a returner to cause sleepless nights for special-teams coordinators.

Darrelle Revis, New England Patriots ($7,000,000):Given the defensive line in front of him on this team, we can put Revis back on his island and really control the game. Revis is well over a year removed from his knee injury, and I expect him to be in top form in 2014. I traded for the five-time Pro Bowler when I was with the Bucs, and I want him on this team as well -- especially at this cap number (due to how the Pats structured his deal).

Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks ($3,676,606):In manufacturing Sherman's new deal, the Seahawks moved a lot of money around and thankfully provided a great cap number for Sherman. He's big, strong and physical, and he uses his smarts and technique to beat up opponents at the line of scrimmage. He also has the ball skills to make QBs pay for poor throws.

Brandon Boykin, Philadelphia Eagles ($671,367): Boykin is a top athlete at his position who can run and jump and has top ball skills. He is an ideal fit to move inside as a nickel/dime cornerback. He was one of the top interceptors in 2013 and possesses not only elite ball awareness but also ball skills. As the Eagles continue to improve on defense, fans will find out how good he is. Plus, given his rookie contract, he's a bargain.

Justin Bethel, Arizona Cardinals ($598,556): Bethel can play if called upon, but on this team I want him for what he can provide on fourth down. He was one of the top-producing special-teams players in 2013, and I expect the same -- if not better -- results from him this season.

Safeties

Jairus Byrd, New Orleans Saints ($3,500,000): A true ball hawk, Byrd has range, size and is a playmaker in both phases of the game. Byrd was a big addition for the Saints in the offseason, and he's a good value based on how the Saints structured his deal. As such, I'll take advantage of it and place him on my 2014 team.

Kenny Vaccaro, New Orleans Saints ($2,141,978): I firmly believe the Saints have the best dollar-for-dollar safety tandem in the NFL. Vaccaro, only going into his second season, was the best defensive player I interviewed in years from a knowledge and feel-for-the-game standpoint. He is like a quarterback on defense. He is going to be a fine player for years to come and I want guys like him on the team.

Johnathan CyprienJacksonville Jaguars ($1,242,978): Cyprien had a remarkable rookie season, and I think he will continue to improve in Gus Bradley's defense. He is a thick, strong player who is very tough and one of the better tackling safeties in the league. In addition, he's a beast on special teams.

Micah Hyde, Green Bay Packers ($539,527): He has safety experience, is at the right price and is a very productive returner in both the punting and kicking games. I need to find areas to save money against the cap; Hyde does that for me, and he helps the team on fourth down, which is what most backups need to do in the league. I'll have Hyde, Hilton and Peterson return kicks.

Kicker

Justin Tucker, Baltimore Ravens ($570,000): A top young kicker in the game, Tucker was very productive at every level of the field in 2013. He shows range into the upper 50s. I really value punters and kickers (too many people take these positions for granted until it costs them a game), but when you have a blank roster, this is an area where I had to save money. Regardless, I still got one of the best.

Punter

Bryan Anger, Jacksonville Jaguars ($770,523): The Jaguars required Anger to punt a lot last season, but he was still able to put up excellent numbers in both his net and per-punt averages. He is a value play at this point, but I think in time Jacksonville will sign him long-term. Anger is a great young person and player.

Long snapper

Carson Tinker, Jacksonville Jaguars ($495,833): For this position, I wanted a player I could trust, but I had to find a way to save money for the 53-man roster. Tinker is a very consistent performer who is on a good contract and is consistent in both his long and short snaps. Plus, he's athletic enough to make some tackles along the way.

Seems like an interesting idea, but why on earth do you need 3 QB's and 5 (FIVE!) backs? I just started skimming after I saw that because it makes absolutely no sense.

Really, this was just "grab the top players still on rookie contracts" approach. You could have a phenomenal team for like $60M. And that made the interesting idea suddenly turn pretty boring.

Seems like an interesting idea, but why on earth do you need 3 QB's and 5 (FIVE!) backs? I just started skimming after I saw that because it makes absolutely no sense.

Really, this was just "grab the top players still on rookie contracts" approach. You could have a phenomenal team for like $60M. And that made the interesting idea suddenly turn pretty boring.

yeah, and there were other questionable decisions even with that. Take a Left Tackle and move him to Left Guard because why not? Heck, I'm a Packers fan and I'm questioning the decision to give Micah Hyde a spot on this list at Safety. He's a second year player who played a grand total of 0 snaps at that position his rookie year and only played a handful of snaps there in college; he is transitioning to safety this season, but to put him there on an ultimate 53 roster feels a wee bit premature.

Archived