Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins/Eagles game in Philly.. Is it safe for Skins fans?

TGibson810

My birthday was this past weekend and I was so lucky to receive Redskins-Eagles tickets from my girlfriend who is an Eagles fan who lives in Delaware. The issue I have and I guess question for the board is, how safe is it at the Linc for skins fans, and what recent stories can you guys share with me to either ease my worries or encourage me to invest in a flak jacket..

For me, it'd be no fun either way. You win and you're surrounded by obnoxious Eagles fans. You lose and you're surrounded by obnoxious Eagles fans.

My brother-in-law has season tickets for the Eagles. I get asked every year for this game and I tend to respectfully decline. I did go to the Linc for the Giants playoff game two or three years ago and on the lower level, the fans were fine to the Giants fans around us.

I'd rather watch it at home, but the actual experience wasn't bad.

1. Root for the Redskins during the game, don't EVER BASH the Eagles.

2. Pregame - Tailgate at the above mentioned tailgate, or don't plan on tailgating, just walk right into the stadium when it opens up (i believe 11:30 or 10:30?)

3. you will start @$$hole chants, f%@k you chants, and hear every curse and dis you can think of from your car to the stadium just by walking, don't let it bother you just walk right by.

4. If anything soft like popcorn or something gets thrown at you, then ignore it. anything that hurts, fight at your own risk! Hehe.

5. don't go to the bathroom at halftime!

The worst things that happened to me were:

1. A beer cup thrown at me, right in the head. but it was empty and didnt hurt obvoiously, i didnt even turn around to look at it. Also popcorn same day.

2. I went to the bathroom right before halftime. I waited in line for 10 minutes before I was next to go. I was hearing crap the ENTIRE time I was in there, and nervous about the big dude behind me. Well he was the nicest (at the time) out of all of them…he talked football the entire time and was saying nice things about the skins. The only problem though, once I was next in line…he got me by the back of my jersey, and drug me (I willingly just went with it after he told me I was going to end up in the back of the line somehow), and he put me in the back of a longer line (about 15 minute wait). He was cheered as he walked up front to take my spot… 

It really matters the circumstances. I went to the New Year's Day game a couple of seasons ago when we needed to win and clinch the playoffs. There were a lot of no shows, and a lot of Skins fans that showed up. The Eagle fans seemed pretty tame compared to the stories I had heard, although the game was meaningless to them, so they had no reason to really care (as if they do normally anyways). But I'm the type of fan that when I go on the road I'm never boisterous against the home team. You'll hear a few taunts, but unless you start to get obnoxious yourself you really don't have to worry. If you're sitting in the upper level you might get a little more sh*t, but as I said it really matters the situation. I don't recommend drinking at all during of before the game. That way if there is a "situation" that arises, you at least know that you're sober and thinking clearly, and there'd be no way that any Philly cops could try to say that you were drinking too much and thus provoked the Eagle fans.

As long as your not sitting in the upper level youll be fine. If you sit up there I would not recommend wearing your skins gear. Ill share my experience with you

I went to a game about 6 years ago with a buddy of mine from college who had season tickets in the level below the uppers for the iggles games. His dad told me I could not go wearing the burgundy and gold. I trusted him.

When the Skins came out of the tunnel before the game an older guy probably in his 60s stood up and started clapping for the Skins, just clapping not yelling or anything. He was wearing an old Skins hat covered in pins and buttons from the glory days. Out of nowhere some idiot iggle fan comes up from behind him, takes the hat off of his head and throws it down towards the lower level. The old man was devestated, you could tell that hat meant alot to him and now it was gone forever.

At that point I decided not to get too excited when we made big plays, more or less just sat on my hands. We were down by 8 with a little under a minute to go with Patrick Ramsey hit Darnerian McCants on a post route to put us within 2. I couldnt hold back anymore and stood up and started going crazy! Within seconds I was hit with beer bottles, sodas, trash, popcorn, and who knows what else. Ramsey then overthrew a wide open Lavernues Toes on the 2 point conversion and I left that stadium with a bitter taste in my mouth vowing to never return!

Im sure youll be fine bro, just dont try to be a tough guy while youre up there.

You will be fine. Tailgate with the ES/RR delegation, and act like a self-respecting Redskins fan. You will get verbally harassed, but as long as you don't get in peoples face, you will be fine.

I'm an Eagles fan and have taken a buddy of mine (a Redskin fan) to a game at the Vet and at the Linc. Have also been to Ravens, Steelers, Skins and Dolphins stadium as a visiting fan. Both times my buddy and I went to Philly, he was fine and was just verbally harassed. Like a poster above, he got crap in the bathroom, but to be honest, I also got same crap when I was at FedEx and Heinz field. I've had throat-slash gestures (Heinz field), F-bomb's screamed at me (Ravens/FedEx) and it's not like I'm doing anything more than cheering a good play. It totally depends on where you're at, how you act, and possibly how much beer those around you've had! :)

The last time I went to FedEx was one of the best football experiences I've ever had. 2004 game where Dawk intercepted Ramsey in the corner of the endzone. The skins fans around me were mostly in their 30s and up and were a great group of people. Fun to talk to before the game and we even had someone buy my brother and I beers (we returned the favor).

As to the Linc, yes their are butt-holes there, to my embarrassment as an Eagles fan. There are also many decent fans, and I don't think you should be intimidated against going. Go and have a good time.

PF

:laugh: This fear of Eagle fans is hilarious, even sad if you ask me.

I agree. Believe it or not though, the "thug" fan is becoming more and more prevalent throughout sports as a whole. Really sucks that you have to debate going to a game, or worse yet, that you'd have to give 2nd thoughts to taking your son.

Speaking of, assuming I could get tickets, is a Skins-Eagles game at FedEx ok to bring a 9 y/o?

I live in DE also so im surrounded by them. Buy the flack jacket! I also know personally of a story of a giants fan who went to the linc a few yrs ago for the playoff game. 4 jints fans got out of their car, never said a word and walked right into the stadium. When they came back, their white car had been paintballed eagle green.

This is true story told to me by a friend who happened to be parked in the same row as the giants fans. But he had nothing to do with it in case the cops are reading this. It was also done after he walked in to the stadium so its not like he stood there and watched either.

Also heard story on philly radio last year after we won monday night game.. 2 skins fans got jumped and pummeled on top of steps at entrance to the stadium by about 6 eagles fans and had their jerseys torn off.

Ever hear the story of why the nfl on fox or cbs (cant remember) doesnt do pregame outside anymore? it has to do with jimmy johnson's head, a loaded beer can and an eagles fan.

I live in DE also so im surrounded by them. Buy the flack jacket! I also know personally of a story of a giants fan who went to the linc a few yrs ago for the playoff game. 4 jints fans got out of their car, never said a word and walked right into the stadium. When they came back, their white car had been paintballed eagle green.

This is true story told to me by a friend who happened to be parked in the same row as the giants fans. But he had nothing to do with it in case the cops are reading this. It was also done after he walked in to the stadium so its not like he stood there and watched either.

Also heard story on philly radio last year after we won monday night game.. 2 skins fans got jumped and pummeled on top of steps at entrance to the stadium by about 6 eagles fans and had their jerseys torn off.

Ever hear the story of why the nfl on fox or cbs (cant remember) doesnt do pregame outside anymore? it has to do with jimmy johnson's head, a loaded beer can and an eagles fan.

I've heard stories about Skins fans (or any away fan for that matter) getting home and finding that someone had spray painted the back of their jersey green. I heard that story from last season as well, and I've also heard that a lot of people walk through the Linc's parking lots and flatten the tires cars with VA/MD/DC tags.

My birthday was this past weekend and I was so lucky to receive Redskins-Eagles tickets from my girlfriend who is an Eagles fan who lives in Delaware. The issue I have and I guess question for the board is, how safe is it at the Linc for skins fans, and what recent stories can you guys share with me to either ease my worries or encourage me to invest in a flak jacket..

I went awhile back, i went to the 'bodybag game' with my college buddy from UM an Eagles fan. As i recall it was a meaningless game in the standings. I will tell you this: USE CAUTION!! During the tailgate it was all fun and games good natured back and forth with the Eagles fans who offered food and beer.

During the game we sat in the cheapseats, I thought this light hearted banter would continue as i cheered my Skins. Somewhere the tone changed as these rowdy fans became...well..piss.. sloppy drunk, threats were spoken with the hint of possible physical harm and some reference about a jail cell in the basement of Vet stadium that was a second home. At this point my buddy and i decided that discretion is the better part of valor, i toned done my cheers and my checked my watch closely for the game to end. For awhile it looked like we would have to fight our way out of Vet stadium. I have no recollection of the actual events on the field, but i can tell you this: the cheap seats at Vet stadium were home to some of the drunkest fans ever. And i was actually afraid for a few tense minutes.

:cheers: :2cents:

I was at the New Years Day Night game when we needed the win to go to the playoffs in 05. When I was walking up to my seat I go a steady "ASS-HOLE" chant from the Eagle fans. There were a collection of Redskin fans around me so I didn't receive the brunt of the harrassment. I was sitting with me and my gf. My mom and her friend were also at the game so after halftime my mom came over to me because there was an empty seat next to me. All 3 of us were head to toe redskins gear btw. When it looked like we weren't gonna win near the end, every play people would try to get in our faces and rub it in. Literally we had this obnoxious girl and her bf who would walk down 3 rows (we were on the end) and get right in our face and start yelling **** about how bad we suck. Eventually the Lemar Marshall INT happened and we scored to go ahead so it was my turn. I didn't hold back I started ranting and raving taunting each one of them because I took it for about 3 1/2 quarters. After the Sean Taylor INT I got the collection of Redskins fans to start and "LAST-PLACE" chant with me (to the tune of the previous ******* chant i received) and that really fired them up. we saw a bunch of seats on a lower level that were open near the field where a ton of skins fans were gathering so i wanted to get some nice pics so we decided to go down there. When we stood up we were bombarded with beer, popcorn, soda, food and other stuff, basically anything they could find. So after I turned back towards the masses and yelled "well it was fun but we will see you in the playoffs.......OH WAIT.....YOU WONT BE THERE!!!!!!!! They proceded to throw more things but it was so sweet I loved every minute of it. From there i was shoved out of the bathroom when i tried to go. so i had to go into the child bathroom and lock myself in to go.

I appreciate all of the info, and I by no means scared of any eagle fan, but as a collective of about 70,000 angry drunk people, I tend to make sure that I am safe, and even more importantly my girlfriend is safe and not getting beer bottles thrown at her that were intended for me. I will probably wear my Redskins gear but more subtley. I agree with the idea that I wont be drinking at the game, to avoid being labled as a Drunk redskins idiot, and secondly to minimize bathroom trips. I will probably tailgate at the ES tailgate, when/where does the information for the tailgate get posted?

I grew up in Philly as a Redskins fan and went to a lot of games at the Vet. That place was tough, especially in the 700 level. I would wear neutral clothes and cheer on the inside for the Skins. At times, I was glad Philly was famous for their soft pretzels because the ones that hit me in the back of the head in the fourth quarter, after people figured out that I was not cheering at the right time, would have really hurt.

I hear that at the Link, they are not as bad. They have priced out a lot of nuckleheads and security is better. Shouldn't be a problem.

Archived