Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you Superstitious?

ArmchairRedskin

My overall preference is to be alone on my couch with no contact from the outside world whatsoever.

I am the same way, I use to invite the guys (non Redskin Fans) over for Redskin Game and they turned it into a big social hour. I would talk to keep form appearing rude. No I just watch Redskin Game by myself so I can act a fool! :silly:

Per records I should not be superstitious, as I was born on Friday the 13th.

But......I am.....when it comes to the Redskins.

Specifically, the team is 4-0 since I've worn my white Carlos Rogers jersey and the same jeans the past 4 weeks. You betcha that will be on in two days.

HTTR!! :point2sky :helmet: :logo: :eaglesuck

No it's superstition.

su·per·sti·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spr-stshn)

n.

An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.

If you wanna peg me as an egomaniac, that's fine, but it's not necessarily the case.

Maybe you should examine your sense of humor. It may be in need of repair/updating.

What?!

You just made my point? Did you read the definition you posted?

A belief that something you do some how influences the outcome of an unrelated event.

So yes, anyone that believes wearing purple underwear on Wednesday (or whatever you do) helps the Redskins win on Sunday is egotistical.

To have the belief that some silly ritual you do has an effect on a team is highly egotistical.

What?!

A belief that something you do some how influences the outcome of an unrelated event.

So yes, anyone that believes wearing purple underwear on Wednesday (or whatever you do) helps the Redskins win on Sunday is egotistical.

To have the belief that some silly ritual you do has an effect on a team is highly egotistical.

Superstitious.

Another word you might wanna look up is "dense". :)

Now as far as players have a superstition that is different. Most "player" superstitions are a comfort thing.

It makes them feel better to go through a routine, if they don't they feel out of of sorts.

But as far as you sitting on your couch or on a bar stool at the bar, whether you are comfortable or not has nothing to do with how the Redskins play.

It may give you comfort to wear the jersey that you know the Redskins are 5-0 in when you wear it. But again it dosen't help the team.

Superstitious.

Another word you might wanna look up is "dense". :)

Wow, could you take a crack and making some sense?

I don't even know what you are trying to get across here? You've posted the definition of superstitious but for some reason you refuse to read it or understand it.

What?!

Key words for the comprehension impaired: "irrational belief " :rolleyes:

Key words for the comprehension impaired: "irrational belief " :rolleyes:

Just because its irrational dosen't mean you and others don't believe in the superstition.

If you didn't believe it why would you bring it, why would you wear a jersey that you know is dirty, why would you even keep track of what the teams record is when you do a certain thing if you didn't believe in it?

I agree you are irrational.

Wow, could you take a crack and making some sense?

I don't even know what you are trying to get across here? You've posted the definition of superstitious but for some reason you refuse to read it or understand it.

You don't understand the difference between an irrational belief and a person who is egotistical and has a rational belief. Honestly. Ask around. You're wrong.

Edit: If I'm saying I'm superstitious, that pretty much excludes being an egomaniac by definition.

You don't understand the difference between an irrational belief and a person who is egotistical and has a rational belief. Honestly. Ask around. You're wrong.

If you believe what you do effects the team whether or not it is rational or irrational has absolutely nothing to do with it.

It is egotistical to believe your superstitions effect the team, rational or irrational.

If that were true, then the word superstitous would be a synonym of egomaniac, wouldn't it?

Egotistical: characteristic of those having an inflated idea of their own importance.

You think that "your" superstition helps the Redskins win. So you think you are important to the teams success.

You believe whatever activity you do that you have deemed lucky for the team is important to the success of the Washington Redskins.

Because any logical person knows that it is silly to believe it matters what jersey you wear on Sunday when it comes to the Redsins winning or not. It can be said that you have an inflated idea of your own importance.

Acutally egotistical is one of the least offensive words a superstitious person can be called, insane probably fits better.

:)

Egotistical: characteristic of those having an inflated idea of their own importance.

You think that "your" superstition helps the Redskins win. So you think you are important to the teams success.

You believe whatever activity you do that you have deemed lucky for the team is important to the success of the Washington Redskins.

Because any logical person knows that it is silly to believe it matters what jersey you wear on Sunday when it comes to the Redsins winning or not. It can be said that you have an inflated idea of your own importance.

Acutally egotistical is was of the least offensive words a superstitious person can be called, insane probably fits better.

Just admit you're wrong. It's ok. I've practiced the language 10 more years than you have. No shame in that.

Just admit you're wrong. It's ok. I've practiced the language 10 more years than you have. No shame in that.

So lets say fan (A) has a superstition. He thinks the Redskins always win when he wears his white Clinton Portis jersey.

Now lets say the Redskins win while he is wearing the jersey and that brings the Redskins to 5-0 when he wears the jersey.

If he makes a post on a message board talking about how when "he" does this the Redskins are 5-0.

If he tells his friends, "when "I" wear my Portis Jersey the Redskins are 5-0."

If he says to his wife, "honey don't forget to wash my Portis Jersey for Sunday, if "I" don't wear it the Redskins will lose!"

None of those statements would make him egotistical? You're saying he dosen't have an inflated idea of his own importance?

So lets say fan (A) has a superstition. He thinks the Redskins always win when he wears his white Clinton Portis jersey.

Now lets say the Redskins win while he is wearing the jersey and that brings the Redskins to 5-0 when he wears the jersey.

If he makes a post on a message board talking about how when "he" does this the Redskins are 5-0.

If he tells his friends, "when "I" wear my Portis Jersey the Redskins are 5-0."

If he says to his wife, "honey don't forget to wash my Portis Jersey for Sunday, if "I" don't wear it the Redskins will lose!"

None of those statements would make him egotistical? You're saying he dosen't have an inflated idea of his own importance?

You keep chasing your own tail :laugh:

Superstition forgoes the idea of reality for the supernatural. That's where you go wrong.

Give it up.

I win.

Edit: Lemme break it down for you

A superstitious person recognizes the fact that his/her actions are not based in reality.

An Egotistical person believes that their actions have real consequences and thier beliefs are based on reality.

I'd argue that superstitious people are more in tune with reality that are egotistical people.

It's only a shade different in language, but it's a huge difference in meaning.

If that were true, then the word superstitous would be a synonym of egomaniac, wouldn't it?

Lets take 2 superstitions.

1.) A baseball player tapping his bat on his cleets 3 times before he steps into the batters box.

2.) A Redskin fan wearing a white Portis Jersey because they Redskins are 5-0 when he wears it.

Superstition #1 is not egotistical, it has nothing to do with his ego, its a comfort thing, it helps him relax, it gets him focused, its his ritual before he hits. If he is not comfortable or out of sorts he may not hit well, his superstition effects his performance.

Superstition #2 is egotistical. It may give the fan comfort to know he is wearing the jersey that he has worn everytime the Redskins have won, but any logical person knows it has no effect on the Redskins.

But to follow this superstition, to brag about, to say things like, "my superstion helped the team win" or "The Redskins are 5-0 when "I" wear my Portis jersey" is egotistical.

Again Egotistical can simply mean to have an inflated idea of your own importance.

As far as would egotistcal and superstitious have to be a synonym for this to make work, I don't think so.

Fat and lazy are not synonyms. Yet often, a fat person is lazy. Just as a superstitious person can be egotistical in his thinking.

You keep chasing your own tail :laugh:

Superstition forgoes the idea of reality for the supernatural. That's where you go wrong.

Give it up.

I win.

Edit: Lemme break it down for you

A superstitious person recognizes the fact that his/her actions are not based in reality.

An Egotistical person believes that their actions have real consequences and thier beliefs are based on reality.

I'd argue that superstitious people are more in tune with reality that are egotistical people.

It's only a shade different in language, but it's a huge difference in meaning.

You're taking for granted that everyone that has a superstition related to a sports team dosen't actually believe in reality that it effects the team.

I would venture to say there are lots of people that do believe their superstitions are relevent to the outcome of the games.

Those people are very much egotistical.

Hell i'm speaking from experience, i've seen people get very upset over someone not sitting in the same seat they were before.

I've seen a fan get physically upset because he forgot the hat at home that he had worn to all the games the team had won.

These people do exist and they are egotistical.

Lets take 2 superstitions.

1.) A baseball player tapping his bat on his cleets 3 times before he steps into the batters box.

2.) A Redskin fan wearing a white Portis Jersey because they Redskins are 5-0 when he wears it.

Superstition #1 is not egotistical, it has nothing to do with his ego, its a comfort thing, it helps him relax, it gets him focused, its his ritual before he hits. If he is not comfortable or out of sorts he may not hit well, his superstition effects his performance.

Superstition #2 is egotistical. It may give the fan comfort to know he is wearing the jersey that he has worn everytime the Redskins have won, but any logical person knows it has no effect on the Redskins.

But to follow this superstition, to brag about, to say things like, "my superstion helped the team win" or "The Redskins are 5-0 when "I" wear my Portis jersey" is egotistical.

Again Egotistical can simply mean to have an inflated idea of your own importance.

As far as would egotistcal and superstitious have to be a synonym for this to make work, I don't think so.

Fat and lazy are not synonyms. Yet often, a fat person is lazy. Just as a superstitious person can be egotistical in his thinking.

You're still wrong. Stop dancing around and just admit it.

Fat and lazy are not synonyms, that's right. A skinny person can be lazy. Just like a superstitious person is not necessarily and egomaniac. :)

Fat and lazy are not synonyms, that's right. A skinny person can be lazy. Just like a superstitious person is not necessarily and egomaniac. :)

Again you taking for granted that everyone that is superstitious knows deep down that in reality what they do means nothing.

That is where you are mistaken.

If they didn't think it was ligit why are they keeping count of the record when they do their superstition?

You're taking for granted that everyone that has a superstition related to a sports team dosen't actually believe in reality that it effects the team.

I would venture to say there are lots of people that do believe their superstitions are relevent to the outcome of the games.

Those people are very much egotistical.

Hell i'm speaking from experience, i've seen people get very upset over someone not sitting in the same seat they were before.

I've seen a fan get physically upset because he forgot the hat at home that he had worn to all the games the team had won.

These people do exist and they are egotistical.

I'm pretty sure that if you don't get the difference by now, you'll never get it. I guess for the rest of your life you'll consider people who don't wash the shirt they wore the last time their team won egomaniacs when they wear it again the next game, but I'll call them superstitious. Mainly because I'm in touch with reality and the english language. But to each his own, right?

I'm surprised you didn't get it after you wrote this.

Are all lazy people fat? No. Is being lazy a characteristic of being fat? Yes a majority of the time it is, but not always.

Are all superstitious people egomaniac? No. Is it possible for a superstitious person to reach a level where they actually believe what they do effects the team they are cheering for, yes it is, i've seen and i'm sure others have as well.

Would you call that type of person egotistical? Yes you would, that person definately has an inflated idea of their importance to the team they cheer for.

I'm pretty sure that if you don't get the difference by now, you'll never get it. I guess for the rest of your life you'll consider people who don't wash the shirt they wore the last time their team won egomaniacs when they wear it again the next game, but I'll call them superstitious. Mainly because I'm in touch with reality and the english language. But to each his own, right?

By the way this isn't exactly my own theory or idea.

When I was in school I took abnormal psyc. class and this was discussed on a video we watched.

I have no idea what the name of the video was or what doctor said it, it was 2 years ago, so sorry on the no source.

Anyway I remember it quite well because I had asked the professor about the thinking behind people that are so superstitious and he made reference to my question while the video was playing.

The doctor in video did state that fans reach an almost egotistical state when they become so wrapped up in their superstitions.

I'm surprised you didn't get it after you wrote this.

Are all lazy people fat? No. Is being lazy a characteristic of being fat? Yes a majority of the time it is, but not always.

Are all superstitious people egomaniac? No. Is it possible for a superstitious person to reach a level where they actually believe what they do effects the team they are cheering for, yes it is, i've seen and i'm sure others have as well.

Would you call that type of person egotistical? Yes you would, that person definately has an inflated idea of their importance to the team they cheer for.

Lazy is not a characteristic of being fat. You are really lacking in your understanding of the language.

Archived