Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs/Campbell

FlyinO

To be honest i think we moved up in the draft to get matt jones i really believe that after he got picked we chose the next option which was campbell

Wow, that would've been sweet to have snagged Matt Jones, but I think what they liked about Campbell, had to do with the style Offense that Auburn runs is the most similar to a pro type set. they liked the way he ran it and managed the game.:logo::logo::logo:

That is a great response to AJ_Skins' post. I'm not a teenager or a homer, however I'd prefer the 'homer' title to that of someone who keeps coming back to an organization they are clearly so down on, almost in a battered wife kinda way. There were statements made from several sources on both sides of the Campbell fence, but to use terms like "rest of the league" and "nobody" really brings out your Sally Jenkins like tendencies, AJ.

I really liked GSF's excellent response to the AJ nonsensical post. It was very clear and to the point. But I LOVE the Sally Jenkins reference in Luca's post!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:applause: to both

Even if Ramsey had capitalized on the chance he got from Gibbs,

Gibbs gave Ramsey a chance? :rotflmao:

No other coach in the history of the league can match his record of choosing, developing, and winning Superbowls with different QBs.

Which points to one thing - a strong team lead by the defense and offensive line where quarterbacks could be pulled and inserted without much change in the teams performance. All the more reason why stacking the quarterback position made no sense when the rest of the team was in dire need of depth and upgrading.

Campbell may be all that and a bag of crackers, but the rest of the team will be at least a few years away from doing anything great.

havine Heith right now would have been a huge plus for this offense. Just look at how many times Sellers got the ball and scored and how many times Royal dropped the ball. Heith would have given Brunell another weapon along side Cooley and would have given defenses fits on how to stop TWO very good TE/H-back recievers.

That would have been nice! If we were going to ignore our needs and make a luxury pick, having one who could make an immediate impact like Miller would have been sweet. He's doing great things for Pittsburg. And we certainly could have used another recieving threat that would have taken the heat off of Moss and the running game.

Gibbs gave Ramsey a chance? :rotflmao:

Which points to one thing - a strong team lead by the defense and offensive line where quarterbacks could be pulled and inserted without much change in the teams performance. All the more reason why stacking the quarterback position made no sense when the rest of the team was in dire need of depth and upgrading.

Campbell may be all that and a bag of crackers, but the rest of the team will be at least a few years away from doing anything great.

I know it's tough for some to understand, but Ramsey had an entire offseason and preseason to show Gibbs something and didn't. The truth is he really didn't look any better at all at the end of preseason than he did a year previous. He was still holding the ball, staring down receivers, and throwing careless pics. These are qualities that Gibbs is not going to spend a lot of time with considering what kind of offense he runs.

Also, upgrading the rest of the team would be futile if we don't have a QB to build around, and really, the rest of the team is not a few years away. We need a couple of key players, but this team has a lot of young talent to build around in Taylor, Washington, Griffin, Portis, Moss, Cooley, and Rogers.

I can understand why a lot of you guys are so hung up on Ramsey. He's a great guy, and we were all really pulling for him. Unfortunately, it just wasn't happening. Gibbs is a realist, and knew he needed a young QB to build around. Campbell was a perfect fit.

These are qualities that Gibbs is not going to spend a lot of time with considering what kind of offense he runs.

I won't try to redebate the preseason. Lets just say that in 2004 I was all in favor of starting Brunell because Ramsey was clearly lost clueless. I felt very differently after the end of last year and this year's preseason.

And it is Gibbs' offense that I take issue with. The Giants, Raiders, and Chargers games speak for themselves. At the end of the day Ramsey, Campbell, and Brunell are just names to me. I just want results.

Also, upgrading the rest of the team would be futile if we don't have a QB to build around, and really, the rest of the team is not a few years away. We need a couple of key players, but this team has a lot of young talent to build around in Taylor, Washington, Griffin, Portis, Moss, Cooley, and Rogers.

I love all these players, but we are mediocre and/or rapidly aging at many other key positions. Success all starts with the Offensive and Defensive lines, and these take time (through the draft) and money (free agency) to build. We are short on draft picks and our cap situation is anything but good. Our D-Line is in shambles and our O-Line has been a disappointment. And we are paper thin at CB and WR. If you think Campbell can succeed in spite of all these things, then I can understand your optimism.

There are many ways to build a team and many opinions on what constitutes a necessary "core" of players to build around. I tend to be more of the school of thought that Pittsburg followed. The Steelers had instant success with Rothlesberger because his team was stacked from the moment he stepped onto the field. Eli Manning is benefiting from similar (though not quite as dramatic) circumstances. Dallas seems to be on the same track. Bledsoe isn't the future obviously, but in the meantime Dallas is building the rest of the team in key areas. As soon as they get their QB of the future, they will be dominant for years to come.

Bottom line is, no Quarterback can get things done without help. If you are looking for Campbell to have a Rothlesberger or Eli Manning type experience, I'm afraid you will likely be sorely disappointed.

Hmmm. I have liked what I have seen of Schaub. BUT, why is it that when Vick is out injured for any period of time, the Falcons' game is in the toilet???

Schaub started in the second Falcon's game this year, and it was against the Patriots. Threw for 300 yards and 3 tds. He also had 0 turnovers. Falcons lost because the defense decided not to show up(31-28). He didn't play much last year. Two years ago when Vick got hurt, the Falcons had to rely on Doug Johnson. He (Johnson) is probably one of the most hated men in Georgia. He even got Dan Reeves fired with his horrid play. Some team is going to win the Schaub sweepstakes, and they'll do it without giving up much.

And why is that?

Because Campbell, up until this point, seems dumber than your average quarterback. A 12 out of 50 on the Wonderlic? My 7 year old niece could do better. Also, I live about 35 minutes from Auburn, so I have been to many of Campbell's games and have many friends that are Auburn diehards. He never impressed anybody, including the media in Auburn. So what, he went 13-0!

The SEC is all about defense anyway. Auburn had a great defense that year to compliment their rushing attack. At least we got Rogers. Everbody knew he was good and couldn't believe he was the third cornerback taken. Hell, he even won the award for best cornerback in the NCAA. Rolle and Pac-mam will be busts. Rolle should play safety.

I hope I'm dead wrong about Campbell, but I'm scared this pick will put this franchise back a couple of years and then the cellar dwelling will continue.

Go Skin! Go Terps! Go Caps! Orioles suck!

:gaintsuck :dallasuck :point2sky

There are plenty of people around the league that know exactly why Gibbs took Campbell, and there were other teams that were also interested in Campbell. There were other NFL guys who said after the draft that Campbell was their highest rated QB in the draft.

Who? You must have seen something I didn't. I didn't hear anything about Campbell until the rumor started circulating that Gibbs wanted to draft him. At that point, some of the commentators started backing it up hesitantly out of deference to Gibbs. That was about it. The only person that I heard say Campbell was the best QB in the draft was Doug Williams.

Also, not everybody thought QB was way down on our list of needs. There were plenty of people that could see why Gibbs didn't have a lot of faith in Ramsey to take the Skins to the promised land. Even if Ramsey had capitalized on the chance he got from Gibbs, it would have been smart to have another young QB waiting in the wings. Gibbs, like most in the NFL, believes that QB is the most important position on the team, and we were quite thin at QB.

We have (according to Gibbs) 3 QBs who can start. We have no DEs who can rush the passer, and we have one WR.

Also, you don't have to be a homer or a teenager to believe in Gibbs ability to choose QBs. No other coach in the history of the league can match his record of choosing, developing, and winning Superbowls with different QBs.

There were only two QBs of any significance that Gibbs "developed" the first time around: Schroeder and Rypien. Only Rypien won a Super Bowl. Theismann was inherited, and Williams was a free agent.

Lastly, the Skins have never been a laughing stock with Gibbs in charge, but they have been champs. 3 times in fact.

If what I said above happens, they will be.

Man, you must have a huge man crush on Ramsey to be still beating that dead horse of yours 3 months later.

What gets most boring about this board is the amount of people who talk smack to cover up the weakness of their arguments. Ramsey is a side issue. The question is, what made Gibbs think Campbell was so great that he was worth what he gave up to get him, when nobody else seemed to think so? Nobody knows but Gibbs. It could be Gibbs knows something nobody else does, it could have been a move of desperation, or it could have been a huge over-estimation of Campbell by Gibbs for some unknown reason. Logically, they should have drafted at WR and/or DL and let Ramsey play until he swam or sank this year. If he didn't cut it, you put Brunell back in and then you have your first round pick this year to use for a QB, and potentially make a move for Leinart, who's considered possibly the best prospect since Peyton Manning. Doing what they did last year drafting Campbell made no sense on any level. I'm sorry, it just didn't.

I really liked GSF's excellent response to the AJ nonsensical post. It was very clear and to the point. But I LOVE the Sally Jenkins reference in Luca's post!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:applause: to both

You guys don't even see how sad you are. For almost 15 years this has been one of the worst franchises in the NFL. Been to the playoffs ONCE in that time span. You act like those Super Bowl wins were yesterday. You're out of touch with reality.

What gets most boring about this board is the amount of people who talk smack to cover up the weakness of their arguments. Ramsey is a side issue. The question is, what made Gibbs think Campbell was so great that he was worth what he gave up to get him, when nobody else seemed to think so? .

And what gets most boring about you, is your tendancy to project your OWN ignorance onto others.

If you didn't know about Campbell, that's on you. Those who followed the SEC and Auburn knew how good he was.

But because YOU had never heard of him, that makes Gibbs an idiot? :rolleyes:

Because Campbell, up until this point, seems dumber than your average quarterback. A 12 out of 50 on the Wonderlic? My 7 year old niece could do better. Also, I live about 35 minutes from Auburn, so I have been to many of Campbell's games and have many friends that are Auburn diehards. He never impressed anybody, including the media in Auburn. So what, he went 13-0!

The SEC is all about defense anyway. Auburn had a great defense that year to compliment their rushing attack. At least we got Rogers. Everbody knew he was good and couldn't believe he was the third cornerback taken. Hell, he even won the award for best cornerback in the NCAA. Rolle and Pac-mam will be busts. Rolle should play safety.

I hope I'm dead wrong about Campbell, but I'm scared this pick will put this franchise back a couple of years and then the cellar dwelling will continue.

Go Skin! Go Terps! Go Caps! Orioles suck!

:gaintsuck :dallasuck :point2sky

You know who that sounds exactly like? Aaron Brooks. How he ever got to be a starting QB in the NFL, and continued to be one for so long is beyond me, having watched him in college at UVA and with the Saints.

How many qb's has this organization had in the last 10/12 years? What happens if Gibbs left and they had nothing being developed?

Stability........thats why he was drafted. What do most good teams have? Stability at the qb position. Campbell is here for when Gibbs is gone!! We all need to look at the big picture!

And what gets most boring about you, is your tendancy to project your OWN ignorance onto others.

If you didn't know about Campbell, that's on you. Those who followed the SEC and Auburn knew how good he was.

But because YOU had never heard of him, that makes Gibbs an idiot? :rolleyes:

I follow the draft closely. Every year you get a good feel for what players are highly regarded. At QB, all you heard about was Smith and Rodgers. Nobody said a word about Campbell. Nobody projected him in the first round. Nobody mentioned his name until Gibbs started looking at him and word got out. It wasn't seen as a totally insane pick, but it was seen as a very unusual move, and it was clear no other team valued him the way the Redskins did.

How many qb's has this organization had in the last 10/12 years? What happens if Gibbs left and they had nothing being developed?

Stability........thats why he was drafted. What do most good teams have? Stability at the qb position. Campbell is here for when Gibbs is gone!! We all need to look at the big picture!

If Campbell is good, sure. If he isn't, Gibbs leaves us with nothing, and possibly worse if he turns out to have been wrong about Ramsey.

Who? You must have seen something I didn't. I didn't hear anything about Campbell until the rumor started circulating that Gibbs wanted to draft him. At that point, some of the commentators started backing it up hesitantly out of deference to Gibbs. That was about it. The only person that I heard say Campbell was the best QB in the draft was Doug Williams.

The general consensus was that Campbell was too big a risk for a 1st rounder, but a couple teams with early 2nd round picks (Detroit or Cleveland I think) were eyeing him.

We have (according to Gibbs) 3 QBs who can start. We have no DEs who can rush the passer, and we have one WR.

Say what you want about AJ, but this is a very real problem, and its just not smart planning. Trade Ramsey away last offseason for all I care, but don't put yourself in this kind of a situation.

uh-huh.

You comparing Aaron Brooks to Jason Campbell tells me everything I need to know.

:laugh: If it weren't so hilarious, it'd be tragic :doh:

A smart-ass attitude is no substitue for an argument. You apparently take it as a given that Campbell is headed for the Hall of Fame. Bow and worship the almighty Gibbs is what it comes down to. Problem is, he's made mistakes before, and this one doesn't look good.

Say what you want about AJ, but this is a very real problem, and its just not smart planning. Trade Ramsey away last offseason for all I care, but don't put yourself in this kind of a situation.

If they had traded him the year before, they could have made a serious shot at trading with the Chargers for Eli. Keeping Ramsey when he had real value and then benching him the way he did makes Gibbs look clueless. There's no other way to put it.

A smart-ass attitude is no substitue for an argument.

Now AJ_Skins is lecturing others on debating tactics. What's next, sensitivity training from Howard Stern?

You apparently take it as a given that Campbell is headed for the Hall of Fame.

:laugh: where did I say that?

Bow and worship the almight Gibbs is what it comes down to. Problem is, he's made mistakes before, and this one doesn't look good.

Wait a minute... are you trying to say Gibbs isn't perfect? You might be on to something there sparky :dunce:

How 'bout you watch the kid play, then pass judgement? :idea:

A smart-ass attitude is no substitue for an argument. You apparently take it as a given that Campbell is headed for the Hall of Fame. Bow and worship the almight Gibbs is what it comes down to. Problem is, he's made mistakes before, and this one doesn't look good.

Whoah, whoah, whoah.

I'm no Gibbs apologist, believe me. I know the man coached the team at championship levels, but I also know that those teams played in a VERY different era under VERY different circumstances.

However, I fail to see how you're already projecting Jason Campbell as a QB that merits the statement that Gibbs' decision to draft him "doesn't look good" before he's ever played a meaningful down in the NFL. To me, that's too much of a stretch at such an early juncture.

You can't criticize Gibbs for not giving Ramsey enough of a chance just to turn around and criticize Jason Cambell before he ever gets a chance at all.

The general consensus was that Campbell was too big a risk for a 1st rounder, but a couple teams with early 2nd round picks (Detroit or Cleveland I think) were eyeing him.

How did Ramsey get into this?!?!?

This tread is about someone asking why Gibbs wanted Campbell, and to have people post some stats about him or at least saw him or followed his play in Auburn. But as usual, it ends up with peoples opinion's that has nothing to do with the main topic.

There's nothing wrong with typing how you feel about this and that, but can we get some post on here about Campbell? I dont follow college that much so it would be good to get some good info on a good question. :)

Archived