Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sept. 16: Joe Gibbs

Die Hard

Coach, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all of our questions. Besides what everybody is saying, I appreciate you bringing stability to the organization. I didn't like the benching of Ramsey, but I understand that you see more of him than we do and you are not going to accept average work. Your standards are higher than that and you expect people to work to your standards and to make good sound decisions. My question is why when we were at the goaline you did not use Nemo? He appeared to be a goaline/shortyardage back. :dallasuck

Thanks again Coach!!!

In Gibbs We Trust!!

P.S.

You have to make Dallas pay for honoring there 3 bums during our game. They are doing it on purpose so have the team kick some butt!

Coach Gibbs,

Thanks for getting rid of Antonio Brown, I was personally unsure how he even made the team.

As a 33 year fan, thru lots of good and bad times, I need to understand why Brunell got such a long leash last year and Patrick Ramsey's was so short this year? I don't know how else to say it but gut-feeling doesn't cut it for me.

Is it possible that Ramsey's problem is nothing more than a lack of confidence stemming from his head coaches lack of confidence?

Thanx

Hi Coach,

Like others, I too am upset you decided to make a change at QB. Of course, we are not involved "inside" the team, so we can only go by what you tell us are the reasons for the change. This is why we have trusted what you tell us through the media regarding the team. It just doesn't make sense that you allowed Mark Brunell to remain the starter last year for 9 games while he struggled all year with his health & leading the team to a 3-6 record. Yet, you name Patrick Ramsey the starter last year & through the preseason & when he gets injured for 1/2 a quarter, he doesn't get a chance to see what he can do. Brunell came in & didn't score a TD & only threw for 70 yards & my memories of last year are coming back, making me feel sick. Thus, my question is: What is the difference in the situation between Mark's injury last year which allowed him to continue playing for 9 games, and Patrick getting benched after he strained his neck?

Coach,

The preparation is part of your legacy. This means a lot of things but one of the most important is fun. How do you try to incorporate fun into the weekly routine for the guys and make sure they bring that let it fly to the stadium on Sunday?

Hello Coach,

I am with the many fans thankful for your turn to attempt at righting the ship. However, I am very puzzled by your decision to bench Patrick Ramsey. It seems to me that he should have be given more of an opportunity to lead the team. As difficulty as it may have been, what drove you to the decision? Did you think he took a step back from last year? Was his inability to seperate from the other quarterbacks a part of the decision? Although he was able to drive down the field, but then make the untimely mistake a factor? Finally, if Brunell proves to be ineffective again, will you turn to Patrick or Campbell?

Thanks for the opportunity to ask those burning questions?

Maxwell

Coach Gibbs

Last season we saw you give mark chance after chance with turnovers etc. but we see patrick who i think has more tallent than mark pulled after not even a full half of a game. how can you let someone gain the vetrain experiance if he isnt give gametime chances. no one likes to see turnovers. mark is a vetrain yes but as you could see he couldnt get the ball down field as his long passes fell short. why not stick with patrick a few more games and let him realy warm up to gametime speads not just preseason quarter and a half and pull him as mark went limp last year you let him stay in the game and yet you dont give ramsey the chance i understand keeping him out the rest of the bears game but why pull him from starting

thanks your arizona fan

Wee need a win over dallas so i dont get rased all season form the dad a dallas fan

A lot of people are criticizing you for cutting Patrick after three series. I question it too. I am not upset because I think Patrick is the better starter, his play has been inconsistent. I am upset because your lack of loyalty to Patrick makes no sense. I think you burned bridges needlessly.

It seems to me that PR was pulled a bit abruptly. He threw the early interception but seemed to settle down after that. As others have noted, with a gun for an arm he definitely gives you the threat of the long pass play. If he was the QB of the future or even the immediate future, I would have thought you would have stuck with him longer. But having pulled him so early, I would say that is not the case in your mind. Would this be a fair assessment?

Blessings and thanks for all the great years you've given to the Skins organization, players and fans.

By the way, please beat those cowpokes! :)

Mike

Coach Gibbs,

Now that you have released Antonio Brown is there any chance you might sign Jamie Farris back to fill the WR position? He did have a heck of game against Baltimore in the last preseason game. Thanks for your time and go show the cowboys who the new sherrif is in town.

Why such indecision on the quarterback position. You do not feel comfortable with Ramsey. You know Brunell cannot do the job though once you thought he could. So where do we go from here. Please make decision. Manage the situation. Thank You. Steveg

Coach Gibbs,

Does last year mean nothing? Mark Brunell was one of the worst quarterbacks in the league and we were getting practically no offensive production from him. We never scored more than 18 points with him. It took nine games to bench him. Then Patrick Ramsey came in, the offense improved, he put up better numbers, and we won the same amount of games in less time against better teams in my opinion. Ramsey did lose 4 out of 7 games but 2 were against Philadelphia and one was against Pittsburgh, two of the best teams from last year. You saw them both play last year and ramsey was way better without a question. How could you bench him after only 19 minutes of play against a very good defense without a running game (Portis was not moving the ball early). The two turnovers were unnacceptable, but the lost fumble was on an illegal hit. He only got 19 minutes though! And Brunell didn't even play very well (8-14/70 yds). He definitely didn't do enough to earn the starting job. It's obvious that it was your plan the entire time to start Brunell and you were looking for any way possible to do that. Ramsey was the starter through the whole offseason and the preseason and was helping the offense to finally move the ball. Now Brunell, who has had very little time with the starters is starting. He is old and is only getting worse. Not only do I think this was the wrong decision, it is also very, very unfair. You kept saying and reassuring that he was the starter and then you change your mind after seeing three dirves. You can't judge any quarterback on three drives. Why would you do this?

I might have made this a little long, so feel free to make it shorter if you can if i repeated stuff or something

First off, I want to say just how excited I was when you returned to coach The Redskins. I know that you will restore all the glory to this once proud franchise. My question is, Why would you replace Patrick Ramsey after only three series and name Brunell the starter?

Coach,

I think you are doing a great job, and firmly beleive we'll be in the playoffs this year. My question is this:

Why wasn't Patrick Ramsey given a full game to prove himself? In your previous stint with the team, you never really had a quick hook for the quarterback. My impression of Patrick has been that he usually starts out slow in games and gets better as the game progresses.

If Mark Brunell struggles like he did a year ago, how long will you wait this time before taking him out?

Coach,

You have always spoken about the players who are "true Redskins", your core players............and you have spoken about loyalty, loyalty to the franchise, loyalty to the city, to teammates...........how can you say that loyalty was shown to Patrick Ramsey?.....here is someone drafted by the franchise, who took an unbelievable beating in the Spurrier era, but kept his head up, kept coming back............he's 26 and still learning, look at the age that Theisman and Williams and Rypien were when they won for you, and there were growing pains there as well, but there was loyalty from them, and loyalty from you back to them............so how can Patrick ever trust and respect anything you tell him from this point forward in his career?.......Here is someone who wants to be a Redskin, who has given his all for this franchise, and yet there is no respect or loyalty given back?........I'm sorry Coach, but this doesn't resemble the Joe Gibbs we all came to know and respect.......

Ramey had two turnovers last week against Chicago in three drives. The fumble was an illegal hit and he had a touchdown called back. Brunell threw it deep one time and it got intercepted, but luckily it got called back on a questionable interference call. You only gave Ramsey three drives and he got shaken up and could've come back in, but you didn't let him. He had three drives to prove himself which is very unfair. What if Mark Brunell has two turnovers. Would you pull him and why? And who would you replace him with if you did take him out?

Coach Gibbs,

As both a Redskins and a NASCAR fan, it is great to have you back here coaching in DC. At this time of year, just getting the Skins back up and running, and with NASCAR winding down, how are you able to balance your responsibilities with both teams? And is it harder when your driver is leading the championship points? (Go Smoke).

PS: Any chance that if Tony does bring home the cup, you'll have him here in DC to show off the trophy at a Redskins game? :-) (The best of both worlds for a gal like me!)

Good luck this season, and Hail to the Redskins!

Kim R

Manassas, VA

Coach,

First and foremost, thank you for coming back to the Redskins. You are the reason that I'm a Redskins fan. I doubt you do, but please don't let these fickle fans get to you over benching Patrick Ramsey. Frankly, it's embarrassing reading some of what I've read over the past few days.

Anyhow, it has been said numerous times that the primary factor in your success is your ability to be a leader. In fact, Daniel Snyder mentioned in last week's chat that you were the greatest leader he'd ever seen, ever.

Can you tell me where these leadership traits came from and/or how you became such a great leader? What do you consider to be the primary characteristics of a leader? Any advice to pass along as it relates to being a leader in the business world?

Thank you for spending this time with us sir.

God Bless!

Last season you allowed Brunnell to stink up the stadium for 9 games. This season you gave Ramsey 1 quarter.

How many games or quarters are you going to stick with Brunnell should he flounder this season? I am a season ticket holder and am looking forward to seeing the Redskins Return to their Glory years !

Best Regards,

Joe

Dear Coach Gibbs,

Thank you for being the classy gentleman you are during fan day. My daughter and I traveled all the way from Kentucky and waited anxiously in line with the other hundreds of fans just to meet you. We just wanted to get a picture of you and my daughter. The security gentleman did not want us to take up time to pose, but you were such a gentleman and allowed my daughter to pose with you. That was the highlight of our trip to Washington D.C. and she would not stop talking about it to this day. Thank you for just being you and changing a little girls life memories for years to come. Tom(Elizabeth's dad pictured in the "WARPATH" magazine)

Hi coach:

I am a die hard redskin fan and have been one for years.

I have much respect for you and your coaching abilities. Please

tell me what you see in brunell vs what you see in ramsey. I guess

what I'm asking is do you feel that brunell gives us the best chance

of winning especially on Monday night when we take on the cow-

girls?

Archived