Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

looking community service ideas

Prosperity

Hey fellas, my church has tasked me with finding a single day community service project (and ultimately coordinating it). There will be about 40 volunteers, and they will be able to work about a full day. The only issues are that it has to be on a specific date (April 27th) and it has to be in or near San Francisco. There have been a lot of ideas thrown around about cleaning a park or the beach, but I want something that is a little bit more personal/community involved. Habitat for humanity seems like a viable option. Any ideas, or past experiences setting up this sort of thing?

You may explore the idea of splitting the 40 bodies to different tasks if that's allowable. Most communities of any size have a local mental health agency that mainly serves people of low income (like medicare or state aid recipients). They usually have need for volunteer support, particularly with various programs that address child and family needs. Relatedly, most communities have some sort of parenting classes/programs where they may serve a meal and split parents into an educational grout and kids into various age-based groups. They are usually supported, sometimes to a large degree, by volunteers. Both may involve a little "basic training" and obtaining some clearances, but it's usually a minor imposition. I recommend either experiecne highly, if available, and it's a very real and neglected need.

You may explore the idea of splitting the 40 bodies to different tasks if that's allowable. Most communities of any size have a local mental health agency that mainly serves people of low income (like medicare or state aid recipients). They usually have need for volunteer support, particularly with various programs that address child and family needs. Relatedly, most communities have some sort of parenting classes/programs where they may serve a meal and split parents into an educational grout and kids into various age-based groups. They are usually supported, sometimes to a large degree, by volunteers. Both may involve a little "basic training" and obtaining some clearances, but it's usually a minor imposition. I recommend either experiecne highly, if available, and it's a very real and neglected need.

Great ideas. I would look into Habitat for Humanity as well. The times that I volunteered the future owners were there putting in their sweat equity. It was pretty rewarding to work next to them building their future home. Also, as Jumbo mentioned, there should be child & family needs in the area. You might also look for a local shelter for battered women & children that may need volunteer help.

My group did that for a local service agency who takes clothing donations to give to needy kids for free. Basically we collected, sorted, launder, and built shelving for the clothing. So you can split up your group into diff. tasks but all toward the same goal. Annually we send out an RFP to all the local service agencies and we talk and pick one we think could use our help this year. The RFP is a good way to get feelers out for ideas for the community.

My wife works with the teens at our church and they do a day of service annually to help the homebound elderly. simple tasks like bringing them a meal or washing their windows, raking leaves, mowing lawns... really basic stuff that these people cannot do for themselves.

Every year I help out with Rebuilding Together. http://rebuildingtogether.org

It's similar in nature to habitat except you are fixing up a home instead of creating one. The benefactors have to apply to have their home improved. We usually have 40 people on and off throughout a day with projects such as painting, carpentry (installing a deck, shed, etc.), cleaning up the yard, gutter cleaning, etc.

It's a great project, and usually the home owners are there and trying to pitch in if their health let's them. Last year's lady couldn't assist, but when I was painting her back living room, I noticed a cabinet full of Redskins items so we chatted as I painted.

If that doesn't work (I know it's in April but forget the exact days), any sort of food panty or homeless shelter usually needs volunteers.

Archived