Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT defends Monk's Image

Walking Deadman

Didn't see it posted anywhere else:

So I thought I'd start a thread.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

MONK CAN RELATE TO MICHAEL

Although Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin wisely had opted (so far) to go Sgt. Schulz on ESPN's Super Bowl pre-game show regarding his first-ballot Hall of Fame snub, we've got a little more to add to our take from Saturday as to why Irvin shouldn't have expected to get in.

Our initial focus in putting Irvin's failure to qualify on the first try was on the other receivers who have made it and, more importantly, when they made it.

If Irvin had climbed the wall this year, he would have joined Raymond Berry and Steve Largent as the only receivers to get in on the first try. But Berry and Largent, unlike Irvin, retired with most of the career receiving records in their back pockets.

Irvin supporters might have assumed that Michael's combination of solid career numbers plus three Super Bowl rings would be enough to enable him to join Berry and Largent. If so, they failed to take into account another guy who could make the same argument -- and who is still knocking on Canton's door.

Art Monk. Redskins.

Monk has more catches than Irvin.

Monk has more yards than Irvin.

Monk has more touchdowns than Irvin.

Monk also has three rings.

And while Irvin got his triple blingage as a member of the so-called triplets, with Troy Aikman throwing the passes and Emmitt Smith moving the chains, Monk earned his trio of trophies with Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien throwing the passes, and John Riggins, Timmy Smith, and Earnest Byner/Gerald Riggs moving the chains.

And as Irvin was bypassed on his first try, Monk retired nearly a full decade ago.

In our view, Monk's wait likely has been fueled by the fact that he kept a low profile, during his career and after it. Monk wasn't showy or flashy -- or coked up or ho'ed up. Today, Monk isn't on the television screen wearing $5,000 suits, flashing a million-dollar smile, and using two-bit verbiage.

So Monk waits. And if Monk ends up waiting longer than Irvin, the irony will be that Monk's downfall was his decision to live his life in a manner that upholds the values that any Hall of Fame is supposed to endorse.

What's the message that this sends to all current and future players? Be loud and controversial. Sin big. Repent even bigger.

Because while guys like Joe Buck always will rant about wideouts with look-at-me tendencies, the sad reality might be that, if a receiver doesn't bring attention to himself, no one else is going to do it for him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Mike Florio!!!

You're Thoughts?

I'm not concerned that Monk has to wait. I think theres a real possibility that Monk NEVER gets in. Since apparently the 'conventional wisdom' on Monk gets parroted repeatedly every year (that he's a 'possession receiver', 'didn't scare opposing defenses', 'only went to a few pro bowls', and 'lacked flash'), I'm beginning to wonder if his reputation hasn't been so degraded that he may never garner enough votes. Afterall, if you've voted against him 4 or 5 times already, it becomes an issue of EGO to reverse course now or in the future. His stats and legacy are set in stone. Its how you view them that matters. And how many of these voters have the integrity to say 'you know what, the guy DESERVES to be in the Hall of Fame regardless of what I've said in the past'?

Not many of them...thats how many.

I fear Monk never makes it.

Someone said it earlier. They had two GIMME spots this year, and they STILL didn't select him. If they wanted to avoid controversy, they could've selected both Irvin AND Monk. But think about it, they left 2 open slots - meaning there weren't two they felt deserving among all the remaining candidates.

That is just pathetic, and as big a slap in the face to Monk as you could possibly give. If they won't vote for him in a year where they leave 2 slots open (purportedly because there is no one left who legitimately deserves a place in the hall), and during the season when Joe Gibbs returns to the NFL and we're all reminded of the incredible things his teams did, which Monk was an integral part of, well......

It ain't ever going to happen guys. Not unless enormous and sustained pressure is brought to bear upon those voters. And frankly, I'm not sure we have the fanbase any more to do it. In a month, we won't even be discussing it here.

I think there's a serious problem with the voting process when you have a group of biased sports writers who are usually overweight and have no NFL experience as coaches or players. I think the voting qualifications need to be looked at and some of these blowhard pen jockeys should be shown the door as far as getting final say on who gets in.

Darrell Green and Russ Grimm will likely make the HOF during their initial periods of eligibility, however, Monk will probably have to wait and be voted in after selection by the veterans committee.

The shame of it all is that both Monk and Irvin were far more important players on championship teams than James Lofton or Charlie Joiner, and yet these guys are already in the HOF.

I think the voting format needs to change. The panel needs to be drawn from active sports writers annually. You shouldn't be able to participate more than once every 5 years. This would help to eleviate propogating a majority bias from occuring year after year.

Originally posted by goskins

Didn't see it posted anywhere else:

So I thought I'd start a thread.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

MONK CAN RELATE TO MICHAEL

Although Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin wisely had opted (so far) to go Sgt. Schulz on ESPN's Super Bowl pre-game show regarding his first-ballot Hall of Fame snub, we've got a little more to add to our take from Saturday as to why Irvin shouldn't have expected to get in.

Our initial focus in putting Irvin's failure to qualify on the first try was on the other receivers who have made it and, more importantly, when they made it.

If Irvin had climbed the wall this year, he would have joined Raymond Berry and Steve Largent as the only receivers to get in on the first try. But Berry and Largent, unlike Irvin, retired with most of the career receiving records in their back pockets.

Irvin supporters might have assumed that Michael's combination of solid career numbers plus three Super Bowl rings would be enough to enable him to join Berry and Largent. If so, they failed to take into account another guy who could make the same argument -- and who is still knocking on Canton's door.

Art Monk. Redskins.

Monk has more catches than Irvin.

Monk has more yards than Irvin.

Monk has more touchdowns than Irvin.

Monk also has three rings.

And while Irvin got his triple blingage as a member of the so-called triplets, with Troy Aikman throwing the passes and Emmitt Smith moving the chains, Monk earned his trio of trophies with Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien throwing the passes, and John Riggins, Timmy Smith, and Earnest Byner/Gerald Riggs moving the chains.

And as Irvin was bypassed on his first try, Monk retired nearly a full decade ago.

In our view, Monk's wait likely has been fueled by the fact that he kept a low profile, during his career and after it. Monk wasn't showy or flashy -- or coked up or ho'ed up. Today, Monk isn't on the television screen wearing $5,000 suits, flashing a million-dollar smile, and using two-bit verbiage.

So Monk waits. And if Monk ends up waiting longer than Irvin, the irony will be that Monk's downfall was his decision to live his life in a manner that upholds the values that any Hall of Fame is supposed to endorse.

What's the message that this sends to all current and future players? Be loud and controversial. Sin big. Repent even bigger.

Because while guys like Joe Buck always will rant about wideouts with look-at-me tendencies, the sad reality might be that, if a receiver doesn't bring attention to himself, no one else is going to do it for him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Mike Florio!!!

You're Thoughts?

No doubt. There needs to be some serious changes made at the HOF. If Irvin makes it in before Monk, this board will lose it's collective mind.

Originally posted by Tarhog

I'm not concerned that Monk has to wait. I think theres a real possibility that Monk NEVER gets in. Since apparently the 'conventional wisdom' on Monk gets parroted repeatedly every year (that he's a 'possession receiver', 'didn't scare opposing defenses', 'only went to a few pro bowls', and 'lacked flash'), I'm beginning to wonder if his reputation hasn't been so degraded that he may never garner enough votes. Afterall, if you've voted against him 4 or 5 times already, it becomes an issue of EGO to reverse course now or in the future. His stats and legacy are set in stone. Its how you view them that matters. And how many of these voters have the integrity to say 'you know what, the guy DESERVES to be in the Hall of Fame regardless of what I've said in the past'?

Not many of them...thats how many.

I fear Monk never makes it.

Someone said it earlier. They had two GIMME spots this year, and they STILL didn't select him. If they wanted to avoid controversy, they could've selected both Irvin AND Monk. But think about it, they left 2 open slots - meaning there weren't two they felt deserving among all the remaining candidates.

That is just pathetic, and as big a slap in the face to Monk as you could possibly give. If they won't vote for him in a year where they leave 2 slots open (purportedly because there is no one left who legitimately deserves a place in the hall), and during the season when Joe Gibbs returns to the NFL and we're all reminded of the incredible things his teams did, which Monk was an integral part of, well......

It ain't ever going to happen guys. Not unless enormous and sustained pressure is brought to bear upon those voters. And frankly, I'm not sure we have the fanbase any more to do it. In a month, we won't even be discussing it here.

Dammit, Tarhog. You're gonna make me cry. :cry:

Archived