Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adam Schefter - Philthy extends Kolb

c4man5282

Before the uninformed second guessing over what it "really means" that the Eagles only lengthened his contract by a year, it was reported a few weeks ago that due to a technicality under the CBA, one year was as much as the Eagles were permitted to extend Kolb.

That is ridiculous. That has to be for next year and the year after right?

Even so, the dude has started all of two games in his career. He should not be making 6+ million a year. Give credit to that man's agent, though. He just raped the eagles.

There paying a guy that after TWO career starts ..... are you freaking kidding me?

Those "nice" folk in Philadelphia are about to realise just what a player they had in McNabb, and just how average an average QB can make a franchise look.

Enjoy the coming lean years Eagles fans. Like the saying goes, you never knew what you had until you lost it all.

Hail.

There paying a guy that after TWO career starts ..... are you freaking kidding me?

Those "nice" folk in Philadelphia are about to realise just what a player they had in McNabb, and just how average an average QB can make a franchise look.

Enjoy the coming lean years Eagles fans. Like the saying goes, you never knew what you had until you lost it all.

Hail.

There are many of us who are fuly aware of what we've had and will remember it fondly.

Or some might call it an act of faith...

Look, you can't make the guy your starting quarterback and then not pay him. Sure, it's based on belief but they've made their bet and now must ante up.

To not pay him at this juncture would severely damage the credibility of the front office. Not saying it's right or wrong... but once they pulled the plug, what choice did they really have?

An Eagle optimist would say, pay him like a starter, he'll perform like a starter.

Hail.

McNabb was cast off by the Eagles and you can tell from this deal, it sure as heck wasn't about the money. The Eagles know something and as Jaws said during the draft, the team has a knack of letting guys go at the right time.

McNabb was cast off by the Eagles and you can tell from this deal, it sure as heck wasn't about the money. The Eagles know something and as Jaws said during the draft, the team has a knack of letting guys go at the right time.

You mean like Burgess and Dawkins?

If philly thinks that Kolb is their guy then I don't think this deal is as bad as some of you guys try to make it out to be...

I think the CBA helped out Eagles this time. If what OWUeagleMD is true then Eagles were able to use that reason to give Kolb only a 2 year deal to see what he can REALLY do. If Kolb is the real deal then Eagles can sign him to a longer extention.

You mean like Burgess and Dawkins?

Burgess wasn't traded, he left via FA after having 1 good game in an otherwise injury riddled career to that point. He made his come up off of the NFC Championship Game against Atlanta. Funny how folks forget that up to that game, he had the injury bug. Hmmm.....good try though.

As far as Dawkins, hey, he in my eyes is still the heart and soul of the Eagles even in Denver. And though he made the Pro Bowl last season, could you name anyone in the AFC who is better? What does that say about the AFC FS play if a 36 year player makes the PRO BOWL, which might I add, many Redskins fans for years have felt was a POPULARITY CONTEST (i.e. FLETCHER has deserved to go almost every year but only made it last season)

Burgess wasn't traded, he left via FA after having 1 good game in an otherwise injury riddled career to that point. He made his come up off of the NFC Championship Game against Atlanta. Funny how folks forget that up to that game, he had the injury bug. Hmmm.....good try though.

And they completely missed it. So much for the Eagle's unearthly powers of foresight. :rolleyes:

And like Trotter, Simon, Thomas, Runyan, Welbourne, Emmonds, Walker, Vincent, B. Taylor, and M. Lewis.

Two misses in 12 years is a pretty good rate of success.

They rode most of those guys to the end of the line - how many of those players did other teams make big committments to after the Eagles decided they were done?

Unless McNabb has some imminent physical breakdown on the horizon that only Philly can see, I don't see how his situation compares. Isn't it more plausible that the Eagles (rightly or wrongly) are ready for the Kolb era to begin and, since they're the Eagles, they just took the best offer that they got?

Sorry, just not buying into the notion that the Eagles KNOW when a player is about to go belly-up, and that's why they dealt McNabb. They've cut ties with some players before others thought was appropriate, but those guys had reached the end of their contracts and they just didn't want to invest the money in older players. Makes sense, but it doesn't mean the guys can't play anymore.

I think they're living off the rep of not re-signing Vincent and Taylor and drafting/grooming Sheppard and Brown in anticipation of it. That paid dividends, but that seems to be the only time their foresight has really paid off. Hell, just last year, Thomas and Runyan got old on them and they had to scramble to fill their positions. Where was the foresight with Andrews?

They rode most of those guys to the end of the line - how many of those players did other teams make big committments to after the Eagles decided they were done?

The Colts with Simon, the Skins with Trotter, the Jags with Thomas, the Chiefs with Welbourne, the Giants with Emmonds, the Bears with Walker, the Bills with Vincent, the Seahawks with Taylor, and the 9ers with Lewis. In all of those cases, a new team decided to give some degree of financial investment to the player and count on him as a new starter. Not all of these players were expected to change the landscape of their new organization once they were brought in, but all were considered meaningful additions as starters. In all of those cases, the new team was wrong.

Unless McNabb has some imminent physical breakdown on the horizon that only Philly can see, I don't see how his situation compares. Isn't it more plausible that the Eagles (rightly or wrongly) are ready for the Kolb era to begin and, since they're the Eagles, they just took the best offer that they got?

Yes, it is more plausible to think the Eagles were simply ready to turn the ship's controls to Kolb and took the best offer they could get for McNabb. In fact, that's exactly what I think happened. I fully expect McNabb to play well and stay healthy for the Skins this season, and I believe Andy Reid expects the same.

Hell, just last year, Thomas and Runyan got old on them and they had to scramble to fill their positions. Where was the foresight with Andrews?

Scramble to fill the positions? They traded a first round pick for a 25-year-old pro bowler. Regardless of your thoughts on Peters, I'd say they aggressively upgraded the position by targeting a young player and spending the necessary resources to acquire him. Saying they scrambled to fill the position is simply inaccurate.

Where was the foresight in realizing that a 26-year-old pro bowler, who some said was the best at his position in all of football, would suddenly lose his mind and develop a a chronic back condition that he had never experienced to that point in his young life? Don't you think you're asking a lot of them?

The Colts with Simon, the Skins with Trotter, the Jags with Thomas, the Chiefs with Welbourne, the Giants with Emmonds, the Bears with Walker, the Bills with Vincent, the Seahawks with Taylor, and the 9ers with Lewis. In all of those cases, a new team decided to give some degree of financial investment to the player and count on him as a new starter. Not all of these players were expected to change the landscape of their new organization once they were brought in, but all were considered meaningful additions as starters. In all of those cases, the new team was wrong.

Yes, it is more plausible to think the Eagles were simply ready to turn the ship's controls to Kolb and took the best offer they could get for McNabb. In fact, that's exactly what I think happened. I fully expect McNabb to play well and stay healthy for the Skins this season, and I believe Andy Reid expects the same.

Scramble to fill the positions? They traded a first round pick for a 25-year-old pro bowler. Regardless of your thoughts on Peters, I'd say they aggressively upgraded the position by targeting a young player and spending the necessary resources to acquire him. Saying they scrambled to fill the position is simply inaccurate.

Where was the foresight in realizing that a 26-year-old pro bowler, who some said was the best at his position in all of football, would suddenly lose his mind and develop a a chronic back condition that he had never experienced to that point in his young life? Don't you think you're asking a lot of them?

And you sir, have just won a free Nate Allen jersey! :drooley:

You on twitter?

But only Vincent, Taylor, and Thomas could possibly have been considered old, washed up, or broken down. The other guys were still relatively young, the Eagles parted ways with them for various other reasons. They don't relate to what Number5 alluded to w/McNabb.

You can quibble about the word choice, but the fact is that the Eagles, who hoard draft picks and draft OL like its going out of style, had no viable replacements for two ancient OL starters. They had to go outside their normal MO and make moves for guys (Peters and Stacy Andrews) to fill positions along the OL. Not much foresight there, or, at least, not much drafting acumen.

You can't use a bunch of the names you cited previously (Simon, Trotter, Welbourn, Emmons, Walker, Lewis - all relatively young players) to back your argument that the Eagles got rid of them before they fell off of the cliff, but then say "How in the hell were they supposed to know about Andrews?". If they knew the other guys' best days were behind them - even though they tried to franchise a couple of them - why did they not see it with Andrews?

We're kind of getting off on a tangent here. In any case, I think we're in agreement that Number5 was kind of reaching when he suggested that the Eagles know something about McNabb because they always know when to get rid of a player.

You can quibble about the word choice, but the fact is that the Eagles, who hoard draft picks and draft OL like its going out of style, had no viable replacements for two ancient OL starters. They had to go outside their normal MO and make moves for guys (Peters and Stacy Andrews) to fill positions along the OL. Not much foresight there, or, at least, not much drafting acumen.

But Peters and Andrews were the viable replacements. Those two players were targetted by the team during the whole process. It was a known fact that Reid wanted Peters.

You can't use a bunch of the names you cited previously (Simon, Trotter, Welbourn, Emmons, Walker, Lewis - all relatively young players) to back your argument that the Eagles got rid of them before they fell off of the cliff, but then say "How in the hell were they supposed to know about Andrews?". If they knew the other guys' best days were behind them - even though they tried to franchise a couple of them - why did they not see it with Andrews?

They waited Andrews out. He let the team down with is antics and bad back. I can totally relate with his depression issues as I suffer from it as well. But with all the extra stuff he was doing (youtube and twitter nonsense) it was safe to say Andrews talked himself out of town.

We're kind of getting off on a tangent here. In any case, I think we're in agreement that Number5 was kind of reaching when he suggested that the Eagles know something about McNabb because they always know when to get rid of a player.

We shall see. Never said he won't play well, just that he isn't the player who used to destroy the East with his arm and legs anymore...

Archived