Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC East draft grades: Redskins have little to look back on

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d81753c34&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Washington: D

Total picks made: 21

Picks on current roster: 15

Touchdowns: LB Brian Orakpo, S LaRon Landry, S Chris Horton

Fumbles: LB Dallas Sartz

Jury still out: WR Malcolm Kelly, TE Fred Davis, WR Devin Thomas

Analysis: The Redskins have been aggressive in their attempts to land veterans, but the moves have often left the team without a bevy of picks in the draft's early rounds. Without those prime selections, Washington has been forced to gamble on "reaches" in those stages. Whereas Orakpo became a Pro Bowler as a rookie, the Redskins' other top picks (Kelly, Davis and Thomas) have failed to produce to expectations and their ineffectiveness has been a part of the team's recent woes.

I'm curious as to why Horton is considered a "touchdown" but Fred Davis is not. I'd argue that while Horton had a surprising rookie season, he took a step backwards the next year, even getting benched in favor of Reed Doughty. By contrast, Fred Davis improved from year 1 to year 2, filling in superbly for a Pro Bowl caliber TE in Chris Cooley, even to the point that some wonder if Cooley is now expendable.

I'm curious as to why Horton is considered a "touchdown" but Fred Davis is not. I'd argue that while Horton had a surprising rookie season, he took a step backwards the next year, even getting benched in favor of Reed Doughty. By contrast, Fred Davis improved from year 1 to year 2, filling in superbly for a Pro Bowl caliber TE in Chris Cooley, even to the point that some wonder if Cooley is now expendable.

Horton was a late round pick, expectations for him were much lower but he still has proved capable even though he slumped last year. Davis probably should be considered a hit, though.

Oh... and the jury is still out on Landry.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d81753c34&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think that it may be the fact that Horton was a late round draft choice and considered a "steal" whereas Davis was a second round pick. I am however wondering how anyone would consider Landry a touchdown and Davis not. I assume it's because Landry has played longer. I don't consider Landry a touchdown yet.

Horton was a late round pick, expectations for him were much lower but he still has proved capable even though he slumped last year. Davis probably should be considered a hit, though.

Oh... and the jury is still out on Landry.

I think that it may be the fact that Horton was a late round draft choice and considered a "steal" whereas Davis was a second round pick. I am however wondering how anyone would consider Landry a touchdown and Davis not. I assume it's because Landry has played longer. I don't consider Landry a touchdown yet.

Well, I wasn't saying that Horton should not at least be considered for the "Touchdown" label, but only using him to argue that so should Davis lol :yes:...although having a 7th rounder benched in favor of a 6th rounder isn't exactly a glowing endorsement. And playing behind Cooley most likely limited Davis' production as well, regardless of which round he was drafted in. I think the fact that when he WAS given ample playing time Davis came through like crazy should have guided his analysis more than it obviously did.

It just comes across as extremely lazy, basically throwing out the "Skins' three 2nd rounders are potential busts" template without really thinking it through.

They forgot to add Jarmon to that total.

He would make it 22 picks and 16 still on the team. Yes he was supplemental but he was still a draft pick.

Also listing Landry as a "touchdown" invalidates everything. The guy is at best "jury still out" and that is being charitable.

But overall the grade is about right. Only Orakpo and Orakpo alone saves the last three classes from being an F.

Archived