Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The reality of Todd Collins and Jason Campbell

gortiz

I would not be surprised that if the same people that buried Joe a few weeks back are the same that are casting off Jason now.

Here is the reality of the QB that came in and help saved our season 4 weeks ago:

Our defense is playing LIGHTS OUT and giving the O not only confidence, but good field position and extra snaps that undoublty is a major contributing factor to the success on offense the last 4 weeks.

Santana and Portis are 100% healthy, need I say more?

The O-line has had time to come together and is playing great

Portis is running like Portis

TC has had 10 years to get this offense down, Jason has had 2 1/2 and even then he was constrained.

The playbook has opened up for TC, now it can be argued that it is because coaches trust him more, but who's to say they made a mistake by not trusting JC more. Also, who is to say the playbook wasn't going to open up in Chicago and Jason never got the chance to benefit.

Todd Collins HAS NOBODY LOOKING OVER SHOULDER AND IS PLAYING WITH HOUSE MONEY. If you dont think this means something, then you don't know football and/or human nature.

It almost makes me sick to see how quickly fans jump on and off the bandwagon. Don't burry 17 just yet, you all made the same mistake with Brunell a few years back before the 2005 season, you did it with Joe a few weeks back, and you are doing it with the our boy now ...

I'm in the crowd that believes Todd should continue to start as long as he's doing well on the basis that you don't want to mess with whatever chemistry the team has right now, but that said I'm also with the crowd that is adamant that JC is our starter next year and on regardless of how we finish this year. TC, while definitely worthy of our gratitude, is the backup.

I just hope JC is taking notes about the timing of the offense.

Al Saunders 700 pages doesnt work unless you hit the underneath check down 3 or 4 times to OPEN up the big play.

TC is making that decision on his second step back into the drop, JC would hold the ball to see if the larger play would develop. Check down.

We have quality depth at QB. Not many teams in the league can say that. Who do we owe our thanks to?

I would not be surprised that if the same people that buried Joe a few weeks back are the same that are casting off Jason now.

Here is the reality of the QB that came in and help saved our season 4 weeks ago:

Our defense is playing LIGHTS OUT and giving the O not only confidence, but good field position and extra snaps that undoublty is a major contributing factor to the success on offense the last 4 weeks.

Santana and Portis are 100% healthy, need I say more?

The O-line has had time to come together and is playing great

Portis is running like Portis

TC has had 10 years to get this offense down, Jason has had 2 1/2 and even then he was constrained.

The playbook has opened up for TC, now it can be argued that it is because coaches trust him more, but who's to say they made a mistake by not trusting JC more. Also, who is to say the playbook wasn't going to open up in Chicago and Jason never got the chance to benefit.

Todd Collins HAS NOBODY LOOKING OVER SHOULDER AND IS PLAYING WITH HOUSE MONEY. If you dont think this means something, then you don't know football and/or human nature.

It almost makes me sick to see how quickly fans jump on and off the bandwagon. Don't burry 17 just yet, you all made the same mistake with Brunell a few years back, you did it with Joe a few weeks back, and you are doing it with the our boy now ...

I agree with you all the way up to Brunell. It was way past time for him to step down. I don't understand why peopleare obsessed with this win now theory. Yes, its great, we all love to win, but Jason is our future, not Todd. If you continue to play Todd, then Jason will not improve as much and we will all be dissapointed when he doesn't shine when its his turn to step up. Let Jason start whenever he's truely healthy, and don't create a QB controversy that distracts the players and everyone else.

For people to think Todd Collins is the reason we are winning are blind with their hot man love for Todd...we are winning because of inspired defense, a coaching staff that are finally opening up the play book, healthy players, and the memory of Sean Taylor...Todd is just another cog in the wheel

This is the exact reason Collins was brought here. Gibbs has always had a veteran QB that can step in an lead the team--same thing happed with Doug Williams. I also agree that JC is the future of this team, but you have to give Collins the ball as long as the Skins are alive in the playoffs. A change in QB now would not be a smart move. I actually think being on the sidelines watching TC run the show is what JC needs going in to next year.

Worst post i ever read. So u think if Brunell would have come in instead of TC in the Chicago game that we would still be where we are right now? Well? Thats what i thought. You are ASSUMING that any backup could come in and do what TC is doing.

Dont fool yourself into thinking that the qb is NOT one of the most important positions on the field. The reason in part the D is looking awesome is because they believe in the O. The O is putting up points, not only in the first half but the second as well. TC has ZERO interceptions in 4 games. How can anyone turn a blind eye to that?

Gibbs will not bench TC in the playoffs.

Worst post i ever read. So u think if Brunell would have come in instead of TC in the Chicago game that we would still be where we are right now? Well? Thats what i thought. You are ASSUMING that any backup could come in and do what TC is doing.

No, with my brunell comment I'm saying after 04 people wrote him off and said he didn't have it, he proved us wrong in 05.

In my opinion people are writing off JC and I think they are making the same mistake ...

Yeah, man, welcome to the world of fandom. I admittedly buried Gibbs...prematurely...seriously, I would have never thought the team as a whole would have recovered from the Bills loss....that was effing horrible.

But Campbell IS the future of the franchise. There's no question about it. Those casting him off are just easily swayed by knee-jerk reactions to the success the team as a whole has had recently. This season is far from finished though...we still need to win a playoff game on the road before I would call this season a success.

Yep, like usual. When JC does well, he is awesome, and going to the probowl. When he does poorly, everyone around him sucks, but not him. Collins comes in and consistently picks defenses apart, and it's because everyone around him suddenly remembered how to play. Weird...

Can you honestly say that we are seeing the same defense we saw when JC was playing compared to when TC has been in there?

How many short fields and extra opportunities has TC gotten as result of the remergence of the D?

I'm only saying our fans shouldn't be fools and write of JC like they wrote off Joe a few weeks ago.

In no way am I trying to lessen or cheapen how TC has played, I"m just saying keep JC out of it ...

I keep hearing people talking about "burying" Campbell or "throwing him under the bus." I'm confused.

Here is what I think:

Campbell is unquestionably next year's starting QB from day 1 of training camp. Todd Collins is unquestionably the starter for the rest of this year.

I believe that many many Redskins fans feel exactly this same way. Do you count me as one of the people "throwing Campbell under the bus?"

Yep, like usual. When JC does well, he is awesome, and going to the probowl. When he does poorly, everyone around him sucks, but not him. Collins comes in and consistently picks defenses apart, and it's because everyone around him suddenly remembered how to play. Weird...

-Im not the only one who noticed this. I am a skins fan like the next member in here but sometimes certain members of the franchise deserve blame. And when you see a career backup qb turn our offense around it really makes you wonder about Campbell. Its not that every single player but Collins is doing that good, its that Collins doesn't make mistakes and allows them to finally play to their potential something they have been incapable of doing all season, because JC throw fastballs that are 10 feet in the air no matter where the receiver is, and if it a fly route you better believe JC is either throwing over the wrong shoulder or over throwing Moss by 10 yds. Collins has finally developed the deep threat for our team this season and has done so with a noodle of an arm, its time for us to examine JC and if he is just a waste of talent, because he for some reason cannot read NFL defenses.

-Im not the only one who noticed this. I am a skins fan like the next member in here but sometimes certain members of the franchise deserve blame. And when you see a career backup qb turn our offense around it really makes you wonder about Campbell. Its not that every single player but Collins is doing that good, its that Collins doesn't make mistakes and allows them to finally play to their potential something they have been incapable of doing all season, because JC throw fastballs that are 10 feet in the air no matter where the receiver is, and if it a fly route you better believe JC is either throwing over the wrong shoulder or over throwing Moss by 10 yds. Collins has finally developed the deep threat for our team this season and has done so with a noodle of an arm, its time for us to examine JC and if he is just a waste of talent, because he for some reason cannot read NFL defenses.

Not sure I would go that far yet. I think the jury is still out on Campbell. He clearly has talent. We also know that after watching TC, he isn't really ready to run Papa Al's playbook yet. Now it may be that he's just going to need time to learn the offense, the timing, etc. My concern is still his accuracy and tendency to hold the ball too long, along with a slow release. This forces him to overcompensate by throwing rocket passes that are difficult for his receivers to catch. I just like to think I can look at the big picture and see things in an unbiased way. I HOPE JC is the future. However, I am intelligent enough to see that he might not be.

JC will be "the man" next year - he's our future.

Is he? Why? It certainly is not his play that has earned him the right to be our QB next year and for the future. Is it because of his draft pedigree? Are we forced to giving him next year?

Here is what SHOULD happen if we would looked at this objectively: at training camp next year, there should be open competition for starting QB. TC, JC, a free agent QB, and a rookie (or 2) QBs should all be given a shot. Whoever plays the best gets the starting job. If TC is more effective than JC again this TC, then TC should get the job.

It is not a hard fact that JC will improve and will be our future. He could easily regress or remain stagnant.

Our fanbase is too desperate and wedded to the idea that JC is a franchise QB and his play has not earned him that designation... only the hopes of our fans has.

Now it may be that he's just going to need time to learn the offense, the timing, etc.

This actually scares me. It scares me that after 2 years in the offense and all of that "hard work and studying" we heard so much about, the guy doesn't get it. The scouting report about JC coming out of college warned about this.

I look at Dallas and see that Romo sits to pee learned Garrett's offense in 1 training camp. Is Saunder's offense so different that it takes 3 years to learn? I call BS on that allegation. It might take a long time to absorb the whole thing, but the basics shouldn't take more than one preseason. And JC still hasn't learned it.

Did you not notice the comments from Aikman last night about how amazing it was that TC had chemistry with our WRs despite never getting any work in the off-season?

Yet JC had last season and all off-season to develop chemistry (as well as 12 games this year) and he never developed that chemsitry.

People can make excuses all they want, but all of them reflect poorly on JC. That JC hasn't learned the offense yet and hasn't develop chemistry yet shows that JC has fundamental learning problems with respect to playing football.

I'm in the crowd that believes Todd should continue to start as long as he's doing well on the basis that you don't want to mess with whatever chemistry the team has right now, but that said I'm also with the crowd that is adamant that JC is our starter next year and on regardless of how we finish this year. TC, while definitely worthy of our gratitude, is the backup.

I second this statement.

I'm extremely torn on this topic because I sit here watching Collins absolutely tear it up on SportsCenter highlights and I ask why shouldn't this guy play? Campbell IS clearly the future but I kind of wonder do you not wait for Collins to mess up? Campbell will be a beast, we all know that, but (this may sound ridiculous) Collins is a beast. This guy has been playing near perfect ball, lets see what hes got in him. I seriously think that Collins could slip in the playoffs and if he does bring in Campbell but I really don't think you should mess with success.

This actually scares me. It scares me that after 2 years in the offense and all of that "hard work and studying" we heard so much about, the guy doesn't get it. The scouting report about JC coming out of college warned about this.

I look at Dallas and see that Romo sits to pee learned Garrett's offense in 1 training camp. Is Saunder's offense so different that it takes 3 years to learn? I call BS on that allegation. It might take a long time to absorb the whole thing, but the basics shouldn't take more than one preseason. And JC still hasn't learned it.

Did you not notice the comments from Aikman last night about how amazing it was that TC had chemistry with our WRs despite never getting any work in the off-season?

Yet JC had last season and all off-season to develop chemistry (as well as 12 games this year) and he never developed that chemsitry.

People can make excuses all they want, but all of them reflect poorly on JC. That JC hasn't learned the offense yet and hasn't develop chemistry yet shows that JC has fundamental learning problems with respect to playing football.

I think you make good points. I'm not quite that far down the road yet, but I see the potential that you are right.

Archived