Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's all been Done before - Part 1 - Dallas

TMK9973

Seems there are so many here that have forgot their Redskins History. SO - It's time for history lessons before the games.

Redskins comming off a tough loss to Phili to face a Dallas Team that is so hot, many are picking them for the super bowl. Game is IN Dallas, must be a loss cause....

Sorrta like Dec 3rd, 1995. When the 3-9 Washington Redskins went to Dallas to take on the 10-2 Dallas Cowboys. (Recap Provided by www.redskinsdb.com)

Texas Stadium - You could get better odds on lightning striking twice in a frozen-over hell during a blue moon than you could of this happening. As far as news, this was real man-bites-dog stuff.

Timely defense, clutch offense, and a dash of good fortune worked together to help the Redskins beat the Cowboys for the second time this year. “This is my Super Bowl,” said James Washington, a former Cowboy.

There was hardly big game atmosphere present in Texas Stadium when this one started, with most writing off Washington’s 27-23 shocker over the Cowboys on October 1 as a fluke. After all, Troy Aikman had missed all but a few plays of that one after going out with an injury and Heath Shuler, who had been erratic all year, was calling the signals for the visitors. In addition, the change of venue would favor Dallas; the Redskins were 0-6 on the road coming in.

The game was scoreless until midway through the second quarter. A questionable pass interference call on Darrell Green greatly aided Dallas’ 69-yard drive for a touchdown. Emmitt Smith carried it over from seven yards out to give his team a 7-0 lead.

The Redskins responded with a drive paced by Terry Allen, who gained 41 of the 73 yards, including runs of 16 and 13 yards, as well as an eight-yard jaunt to convert a fourth and one. It was Allen who took it over the goal line from two yards out on the 13th play of the march.

Allen’s score came with just 1:22 left in the first half, but that left enough time for Aikman to pass Dallas downfield into position for Chris Boniol’s 37-yard field goal as time expired.

Anyone thinking that that score would give Dallas a lift was mistaken. Dallas punted on its initial possession of the second half and the Redskins embarked on an 83-yard thrust that ended with Shuler throwing a 10-yard TD pass to Henry Ellard to give the Redskins a 14-10 lead.

Still, it was assumed that one of the Cowboy stalwarts such as Smith or Aikman would stand up, make some big plays, and Dallas would prevail. As it turned out, though, the player stepping up in the fourth quarter wore burgundy, safety Stanley Richard.

First, he stepped in front of an Aikman pass near midfield and returned it to the Dallas 27 to set up a one-yard touchdown blast by Allen to make it 21-10. Dallas drove downfield and, on fourth and one at the three, Smith went wide to the left and aimed for the flag. Richard came up and stripped the ball from the runner’s grasp. Although Smith wound up with the ball back in his grasp, the officials eventually ruled that he had gained possession in the end zone while his feet were out of bounds. That made it a touchback and the Redskins took over at the 20.

It took one more big play for Washington to wrap it up. Shuler had taken off on planned rollout runs to the right several times. On this play, he took off right, stopped, and fired deep to the left to Leslie Shepherd for 44 yards. That set up the clinching score, Murray’s 47-yard field goal.

The Cowboys, handled their defeat with the grace that one has come to expect from this bunch. “This team had no business beating us,” Deion Sanders said. “I wouldn't say the best team won today

Thanks for the laugh.

I'm not even wasting my time on this game. It's one thing getting your ass handed to you by the stinking Patriots, quite another when it's the Cowboys.

That 1995 team was not decimated by injuries like this year's team.

Right - Because the 1995 Teams starters were SOOO much better then our backups this year....:silly:

You're kidding right?

Wow- Why even come to a Redskins message board or watch the game if you are just convinced we are going to loose.

Look - Yes -I new we would loose the Pats game. I watched wishing something would happen, but I expected to loose.

the Cowboys aren't the Pats. Anything can happen. My point was to show it happened before.

I'm guessing in 1995 you weren't out there talking about how the Shuler led skins were going to show up Aikman, Smith, and Irving...

ugg..I thought we could win if Taylor was playing. We are going to get killed.

There is the key flaw in withholding hope for this game. D collapsed in less than a half against the Iggles without Taylor. How will it perform without Taylor for entire game against an offense with weapons??!!

There is the key flaw in withholding hope for this game. D collapsed in less than a half against the Iggles without Taylor. How will it perform without Taylor for entire game against an offense with weapons??!!

answer: over 400 yds/ 4 or more td's again

F the Cowboys.

Logic is thrown out in these games.

Guts and Guts wins this one. Who else fights there guts out more than us to win/lose? NO ONE.

Skins 28

Boys 10

STOMP THEM

you must be trippin on acid...holding them to 10 points aint gonna happen...i wish. i really really wish

Archived