Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hurd becoming known as more than TO's protege

#284ever

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cowboys-tosprotege&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hurd becoming known as more than TO's protege

Hurd becoming known as more than TO's protegeBy JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

August 9, 2006

OXNARD, Calif. (AP) -- Terrell Owens may be the best receiver in Dallas Cowboys training camp. Yet the guy making the best catches and biggest impression is his protege, Sam Hurd. An undrafted rookie who wasn't even invited to the scouting combine, Hurd's combination of size, skill and smarts have made him the biggest surprise of camp.Hurd first gained attention for buddying up to T.O., getting him to stay late after practice for one-on-one tutorials. The way he's played ever since is the focus now.

Check out these rave reviews:

-- Quarterback Drew Bledsoe: "The guy has been impressive. He's going up and catching the ball, coming up with big plays. We've asked him to play three positions and he played all three in the scrimmage without making any mistakes. That's pretty rare for a rookie."

-- Running back Julius Jones: "Sam Hurd is out there making plays. The way he's playing right now, (defenses) would have to respect him."

-- Third receiver Patrick Crayton, who made the team three years ago as a seventh-round pick: "He is really taking care of his business a whole lot. I think he's already overcome a lot of those odds."

-- And the critic Hurd most needs to win over, coach Bill Parcells: "He is young. He is inexperienced. But he is in very good physical condition. He has a lot of stamina. He's extremely bright. He knows more than one position already. I think he will be in contention for a roster spot based on what I have seen so far." When Owens and fellow starting receiver Terry Glenn sat out Monday with injuries, Hurd worked with the first team in both practices. He fit in, too, stretching his 6-foot-2, 195-pound frame as far left as possible to snatch a wayward pass from Bledsoe. He got more work with the first team Tuesday and Wednesday, even after Glenn returned.

My theory is that this kid Hurd is so good, Parcells needs to see if there are any other WR out there that will push this kid or give him a run for his money as a fourth or fifth WR.

Its called churning the bottom of the roster boys.

My theory is that this kid Hurd is so good, Parcells needs to see if there are any other WR out there that will push this kid or give him a run for his money as a fourth or fifth WR.

Its called churning the bottom of the roster boys.

Way too early to call this guy an NFL starting WR. Let's see what he does in some preseason games. I have stopped reading puke articles recently because the psychological warfare BP is displaying is giving me a headache. Who knows what is actually going on in camp.

Gollly, he's great.

Why is Bill shopping for a #3 and/or #4?

Well maybe Bill is finding it hard to believe that this Hurd is a good 3rd or 4th , and feels that Copper,Rector and Tolliver are not working hard enough. He is churning that 5 or 6 spot.

The 6th spot will most likely be for Skylar Green as Special Teams.

Copper has been the 4th WR for the past couple of years and has watched Crayton a 7th round pick jump over him and now Hurd an undrafted free agent jump over him. The only people that need to be worried about Parcells bringing in another WR are Copper, Rector and Tolliver.

Well maybe Bill is finding it hard to believe that this Hurd is a good 3rd or 4th , and feels that Copper,Rector and Tolliver are not working hard enough. He is churning that 5 or 6 spot.

Copper has been the 4th WR for the past couple of years and has watched Crayton a 7th round pick jump over him and now Hurd an undrafted free agent jump over him. The only people that need to be worried about Parcells bringing in another WR are Copper, Rector and Tolliver.

Whatever. I'd find it hard to believe he's going to trade for a 5 or 6....you know, ST types.

Oh I see..."churning the roster" is what you guys are spinning it as now...:laugh:

Yup Parcells calls it churning the bottom of the roster. That is something he has been quoted saying many times. So we like you skins fans with gibbs, believe our coach and buy into what he is saying.

Copper, Rector, and Tolliver? I didn't even know there were guys in the NFL with those names. You said their names like we are supposed to know who your scrub practice squad receivers are. :laugh:

Copper-The Cowboys' blacksmith.

Rector-Parcells' personal proctologist.

Tolliver-Didn't he play QB for the Saints a few years back? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/743/ ;)

:logo:

"I have a little dreidel

I made it out of clay

and when it's dry and ready

Dreidel I will play

Oh, Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel......."

Archived