Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Great BBQ in DC Area?

hokie4redskins

I went to visit a buddy in Austin last year and he took me to this ol' trucker stop in some hole on the side of the road. Best BBQ I ever had and I cringe at the fact I forgot the name. A few months later, I was in the sticks in SW Georgia and had some authentic BBQ down there. The BBQ sauce is more mustardy and tangy and a shade of yellow. Different but pretty friggin' good. Needless to say, I'm a BBQ junkie and have been desperate to find good BBQ in the DC area. I've been to the Capital Q on G Street, great Pulled pork sammich but the ribs are mediocre. Red Hot and Blue is just plain pathetic. I recently discovered Famous Dave's in Vienna and it is EXCELLENT. Their house sauce and Devil's Spit is amazing. Overall, it's tough to find good ribs around here. Any suggestions? I need a fix.

In my opinion, BBQ either has to be made homemade, or made by a family type place that cares more about their food and the preparation than the almighty dollar... few places are like that anymore, but when you find them, it is treat that you will go back to consistantly. These type of people usually participate in local BBQ contests, so go to one to track down a good place...

I'm pretty found of the place near my house in Odenton. It's a little trailer that's kind of been converted off of 170 right near 175. It's not quite a roadside place in that it's a premanent structure. However, your choices of places to sit come down to the 2 tables in the back by the snowball stand or the standing counters. Drinks? well they have bottled sodas. But you were looking for good bbq right?

The place has great wings and ribs. I ate there this weekend with my father in law. $22 for a full rack of ribs and 20 wings. Yummy. I've had their half smokes too (also good).

Honestly though, there is a place in laurrel called Mango's. It's a Mexican place, but if you order the rib fajitas, it comes with a rack of pork ribs that are probably the best I've had in the area. Odd to say that about a Mexican place. It does fit the hole in the wall criteria though.

Yeah, Mango's doesn't have a wall between the kitchen and the dining area, so you can watch them make the food (and smell it). It's a hole in the wall place at 198 and rte 1. yummy. Maybe that's where I'll try to drag my wife for date night this week.

O'Brien's Pit BBQ off of Gude Drive in Rockville is good.

...and there is a shack off of I-70 near the I-695 interchange in Baltimore thats good. It think its called "Pit BBQ" (real original), but they give you all the trimmins! A real dive, which means the food is awesome.

Originally posted by hokie4redskins

I went to visit a buddy in Austin last year and he took me to this ol' trucker stop in some hole on the side of the road. Best BBQ I ever had and I cringe at the fact I forgot the name. A few months later, I was in the sticks in SW Georgia and had some authentic BBQ down there. The BBQ sauce is more mustardy and tangy and a shade of yellow. Different but pretty friggin' good. Needless to say, I'm a BBQ junkie and have been desperate to find good BBQ in the DC area. I've been to the Capital Q on G Street, great Pulled pork sammich but the ribs are mediocre. Red Hot and Blue is just plain pathetic. I recently discovered Famous Dave's in Vienna and it is EXCELLENT. Their house sauce and Devil's Spit is amazing. Overall, it's tough to find good ribs around here. Any suggestions? I need a fix.

Suitewater has very good ribs and yes I agree Famous Dave's has good ribs as well. Memphis BBQ is pretty good also.

Originally posted by National Defense

rocklands is average--their sauce is weak and their sides are less than average. however, the lamb sandwhich rocks

I'll grant you they have weak sides - I was going strictly on the quality of their cooked meats. And their sauce is NOT weak! If you don't like their regular BBQ sauce, then use one of the 491 other sauces they have for free. Have you had their "global warming" sauce? Sooooooooo tasty!

Archived