• Better than A New Hope
    • Better than Return of the Jedi
    • Better than Attack of the Clones
    • Better than The Phantom Menace

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20050518-115548-1548r.htm

Redskins moving Holdman inside

By David Elfin

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Life was sweet for Warrick Holdman four years ago. He had helped spur the Chicago Bears to a stunning NFC Central title while approaching Pro Bowl status in just his third season. But in the fourth game of 2002, Holdman ripped up his right knee. He missed the rest of the season and hasn't been the same force since.

After a down year in Chicago in 2003, Holdman was a salary cap casualty. He signed with Cleveland, for whom he had a solid, if unspectacular, season before being caught up in new coach Romeo Crennel's roster overhaul. After being a free agent for nearly three months, Holdman has been reunited in Washington with Dale Lindsey, his Bears' position coach, and Greg Blache, his former coordinator.

"Warrick had his best years under Dale," Blache said. "Dale is very demanding. ... Warrick responds to Dale. Warrick's talent level hasn't waned at all. He has quick feet. He's got toughness. He's got football instincts. He's got a lot of moxie to his game."

But since Marcus Washington (a Pro Bowl choice, 2004) and LaVar Arrington (Pro Bowl from 2001 to 2003) are the Redskins' outside linebackers, if the 29-year-old Holdman is going to continue as a starter, he's going to have make a major adjustment to playing in the middle after spending his entire college and pro career on the outside.

"The way a lot of teams are going now the [middle] linebacker has a lot of freedom where you just kind of run to the ball," Holdman said. "I think any guy can play any position, especially at linebacker. I really don't know what position [i'll play], but I'm trying to learn all of them."

A year ago, Antonio Pierce was in a similar situation, but the career outside linebacker handled the shift to the middle so well that after projected starter Mike Barrow was hurt in July, he stepped in and had a Pro Bowl-worthy year while leading Washington in tackles.

And with Pierce having signed with the New York Giants, the 6-foot-1, 235-pound Holdman is perhaps the most qualified of a crew of candidates in the middle that also includes: undersized outside backer Lemar Marshall; 35-year-old Barrow; career special-teamer Brian Allen; raw and oft-injured Clifton Smith, and low-round draft picks Robert McCune and Jared Newberry, the latter another middle neophyte.

"Who's going to end up being the [middle linebacker], nobody knows," Blache said. "At this time last year, nobody in the world would have expected Antonio to be the 'Mike' backer. He hadn't been a starter. We moved him inside and he got paid [millions]. Part of that success story might have been the environment created by Dale."

Pierce's example encouraged Holdman that he can make a similar transition in assistant head coach Gregg Williams' aggressive defense. Lindsey said Holdman is a gifted player who will work hard and has the smarts to make the switch if asked. The question is whether Holdman can exude the same leadership that Lindsey said had Pierce at times a couple of steps ahead of the coaches in running the defense in 2004.

"The middle linebacker is kind of the quarterback," Holdman said. "He helps the D-linemen get to where they need to be and the outside linebackers are going to listen to him to know what they've got to do. You get a lot of plays and a lot of glory, but it's a lot of work and a lot of studying. I've got to learn the basics of the defense before I start saying I'm going to be the quarterback."

Note -- The Redskins cut tight end David Kashetta to make room for Holdman, making it six of 12 undrafted rookies signed after last month's draft who have been let go.

All it takes is the MLB to be dedicated to wanting to understand the entire system. Then I think anyone can excel in it. Thats what AP did best, was he understood it from A to Z. If Holdman can do it, we won't miss a beat.

Originally posted by AKM311

All it takes is the MLB to be dedicated to wanting to understand the entire system. Then I think anyone can excel in it. Thats what AP did best, was he understood it from A to Z. If Holdman can do it, we won't miss a beat.

That is correct. I think Holdman is a better athlete and better football player than AP was at the begining of last year so it will be great to see what Holdman can do to push for the spot this early in the off-season.

It's not just physical ability, or even smarts or the willingness to study. It's the mental capacity to recognize what is happening, think quickly and be decisive when the pressure is on. Pierce has this ability. Apparently Barrow is pretty good too. Whether Holdman or Marshall can do it remains to be seen.

I think Holdman will fit in nicely. I dont quite agree its the system, as Lavar is a pure beast, and Marcus was almost pro-bowl caliber in Indy. Pierce on the other hand I think was a system LB. He was smart, yes, but if it wasn't Gregg Williams sticking him in there, I dont think he would have been as good. Holdman has proven experience though, and we got McCune, Marshall, and Smith ready to take over.

It "system" thing was half a joke, Mr. S. Playing on the current Bronco thread; alluding to the fact that before last season, A. Pierce was more anonymous than even W. Holdman; and giving a benefit of the doubt nod to G. Williams for being able to take a guy like Holdman, or Marshall, or Barrow, or Allen, or even eventually McCune, and getting them to perform well within his "system."

Bummer. Jokes get a lot less funny when you end up having to 'splain 'em. :)

Originally posted by Om

Everyone should know by now that in Washington it's the "system" that makes the MLB. :)

I hope you are right, but we have had only one year with the system. Not enough data to make any big conclusions. Although, in that one year, the system took a career back-up/ special teams player and he had a pro bowl caliber year.

Originally posted by Om

It "system" thing was half a joke, Mr. S. Playing on the current Bronco thread; alluding to the fact that before last season, A. Pierce was more anonymous than even W. Holdman; and giving a benefit of the doubt nod to G. Williams for being able to take a guy like Holdman, or Marshall, or Barrow, or Allen, or even eventually McCune, and getting them to perform well within his "system."

Bummer. Jokes get a lot less funny when you end up having to 'splain 'em. :)

I take back my previous post. I should have recognized the joke. I have read enough of your posts to understand that your conclusions are all well thought out.

Originally posted by Jett

I hope you are right, but we have had only one year with the system. Not enough data to make any big conclusions. Although, in that one year, the system took a career back-up/ special teams player and he had a pro bowl caliber year.

Actually I think Pierce's backup status had more to do with a lack of confidence in him on the part of the prior coaching staff than his lack of skills. When Pierce first made the team as an undrafted F.A. Marty made comments to the effect that he had a higher football IQ than any player he could remember. Not exactly faint praise coming from a guy like Schottenheimer.

I think Pierce will probably do well with the Gints but may not be everything he was in our system.:2cents:

I noticed in the article that someone was quoted as saying that MLB's have a lot of freedom, and just "run at the ball". Number one, I always thought that the MLB was the one player that had to be in position. If what was stated is true, wouldn't you send the best athlete to MLB (aka Lavar)? Okay, maybe he doesn't have the smarts to be the defensive general, so you let someone like Washington command the field. But why not put Lavar at the position where he just attacks the ball? Hmmm, maybe I'm reading too much into that comment.

Holdman looks like the early favorite, with both he and Lemar Marshall competing for the starting position after playing outside last year. McCune is a natural at MLB, but this system might be best for someone with experience and Holdman has it.

Archived